Council Shooting Sports Committee

For the 2010 Camping Season, the Shooting Sports area of an accredited Boy Scout Summer Camp must fall under the auspices of the Council Shooting Sports Committee.

Standard M-63

"... Effective in 2010, the council utilizes a shooting sports committee to manage summer and off-season shooting sports activities."

has you Council done this yet? How is it structured, where does it it fall in the Council Structure? What have you done so far? What's the dish?

My Council is working on getting it going. There is currently a self appointed chairman however nothing official has been said other than they are looking. I believe we are placing it under the Camping Committee.

So far it looks like that committee isn't going to be overly active but just try to make sure everyone is following all the rules and making sure all the Cub Scout folks are trained.

I know the self-appointed chairman has made some comments about switching the style of shotguns we use but hasn't consulted any of the shooting sports folks at the camp to find out that it would be a horrible idea.

I just see it as a waste of time. The stuff covered by the committee for camp operations should be covered by the Camp Director/Shooting Sports Director, and the off season stuff should be handled by the Council's Program Director or Council policies.

All its doing is undermining the Camp's Shooting Sports Director...

I see this as a good/bad situation for summer camp operations, depending on the makeup of the committee.

Good: It could provide the summer shooting sports director with a resource board to bounce ideas off of, so he or she isn't coming in blind and having to re-invent the wheel every summer.

Bad: It could provide ignorant, misinformed and untrained shooting sports enthusiasts with second-guessing authority over a National Camping School-certified summer camp shooting sports director who is on the ground at least 24/6.