Patrol Camping and outings

@Moosetracker,

You are correct with your statements. I added to what I was already thinking. We are trying to get these Patrols to bond, to become Patrols, and let their leadership start running them. In the past in our troop, like you said the SM has been so hands off, that he might have well not been there. But now this has all changed, and in the past week. Now that we ASM and our new SM have gotten control of the Unit, we are pressed to make adjustments to what wasn't getting done or not getting done correctly in the past. In fact the CC thinks we don't need any adult supervision. But she too is learning fast. The thing is that this Patrol decided to do something, but never told the Adults, ie.. SM/ASM what they were planning to do. One thing we want them to do in the future but without making it too hard for them, is submit their plain. This way we can have a look and see if this is a proper and safe activity. And if it has the adult support needed. But doing this without us knowing can cause other problems if there are problems.. ie. the boys get hurt or damage property.. we must follow the BSA guidelines. and this is much about what I was aiming for here. I know the "Guide to Safe Scouting" Guidelines. But I was hoping for some added information about what you and your units do on this subject. again thanks to everyone who has piped in with information.. I am reading it all.

Ahhhh... Horse of a different color altogether!

Ok.. In order for the BSA insurance to kick in if something happens, and for you, or for the parents who are hosting the backyard camping trip not to get their personal pants sued off of them. The insurance company does need some bona-fide proof that it was indeed a legitamite BSA event. (and some concrete things the insurance company will not pay for followed like not doing ski diving).. As we discussed in other post this does not require the filling out of a tour permit, but it does require something that will be solid proof this was a legitamite BSA Event..

So if the boys just go off and do, without approval of the adult leaders in your troop, they may say it is a BSA event. Insurance will require proof that it was a BSA event.. So here is some Questions they will ask for proof? Did the SM & adult leaders know and approve the event? No.. Did you discussed the event at a committee meeting? No.. Was it discussed at a troop meeting No.. Was the event on a troop calendar or website? No.. Was money collected at a troop meeting or driving arrangements made at a troop meeting? No.. Was a tour plan filed? No..

See what I am getting at? No proof this was a scout event.. And in truth it really wouldn't be. What would prevent them from holding a teenage party, with drinking and other teenagers, having the cops come (don't know if Sweden has under age drinking laws just an example).. And the kids saying it was a BSA event, with invited guests for recruitment?..

So what would happen if I was building something personal in the basement, cut off my thumb in a saw, and then state it was for BSA, I was building them a surprise plaque or storage bin, that no one asked me to build, so I wanted the BSA insurance to kick in..

Of course insurance is only one concern. You as adult Leaders want to know what the patrols are doing.. Did they plan well for it? Did they get the proper permits? Do people know where they are going and when they are expected back?.. You want to make sure these kids are being safe in their planning of events. They are utilizing the G2SS, at least as a guide rather then a rule book.. So maybe they plan to ignore 1 or 2 miner things in the guide for a good reason, but are following the majority, rather then having 10 things not followed and alot of possibility for injury..

If you and the other adults are going to be made to feel responsible if something goes wrong. You do not want to get hit with the fact it went wrong because you did not take your responsiblity seriously and just let the kids run wild and "do their thing"..

First, this is entirely up to the SM.

Second, have them fill out a tour plan. If the SM and CC/COR approve it, it becomes a sanctioned scouting activity.

If it's a bad plan (the parents haven't got trained, the troop frowns on video watching, location of campsite is too tame) in the SM's opinions (not ours, not yours) he doesn't sign it. The boys venture into their backyard on their own. Worst case scenario: no accidents happen, they boys actually perform some act of heroism, and the BSA doesn't get credit for it.

How would this sleepover be different from another patrol that had their SM approved overnight trek to a mountain hut cancelled due to adverse conditions and decided to just pitch tents in the PL's back yard, cook on the grill, and watch a video or two?

The ASMs (if any necessary) who need to cover down on adult supervision required by the paperwork could even stay up with PL's mom & dad playing rummy all night.

Gentlemen thanks! I have the information I need now.

@Nike, this hasn't happened yet!

Also Nike, you have yet to tell me who you are. Like I said before I am also part of TAC, and was at SAC last month. I was hopping to meet you.