Questions on Seabase Extra $$

For those have been to Seabase, I understand the costs of the trip, just trying to obtain a more realistic idea of total costs spent per person so we can present to the troop.

What are some of the extra's that you did not expect?

This could be with travel, while you were there, things you purchased leading up to the trip, after the trip.

Things you wanted to do or purchase while there but did not budget for?

Did most of you drive/fly?

Did you rent a van?

Thank you in advance for any and all information!

We used the Keys Shuttle to get us from the Miami airport to Sea Base. Round trip for the 8 of us was $690. We flew down the day our trip started, scheduled to depart Atlanta on a 7:45 AM flight. A little tropical storm went thru the Keys the night before, and our flight was cancelled. We had to scramble to get flights, with 7 of us on the 9:55 AM departure, and one catching the 11:00 AM. Looking back, it might be a good idea to arrive a day early in Miami, but that will add the expense of another night on the road.

Once you get to Sea Base, there isn't a lot to spend money on. Snack bar, Ship's Store. Just depends on how many things you want to buy. They do take a Crew photo you can purchase, and there are several different patches that can be earned on the trip, if you want them. Duty to God, BSA Snorkling, BSA Kayaking, etc.

Scoutson went this past summer. Drove down with Troop group. The official Troop expense included two special tshirts and overnight stops at two campgrounds and a side trip coming back for a history lesson. Not quite two weeks, total.

Beyond the pre trip expenses (new swimtrunks, sunglasses, sandals, etc.)Scoutson spent less than $100. more on lunches, souvenir patches and a pirate tshirt ("Stick to the Code: Trustworthy, Loyal, etc."). Mostly lunches, it seems.

It is an expesive trip, no two ways about it, but he said he'd definitely go again if he could (mebbe with his Scoutson in more than a few years?).

We have been to Sea Base 3 times in the last 6 years. Flew from Chicago to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale and used Emerald Transport for service to the base.

The only extra expenses once there were for snacks and souvenirs, and lunch to and from the airport. Our trip featured a day in Key West, so the scouts bought sandals and other souvenirs and had dinner there.

Dale

We did for the scouts those preallocated cards so they weren't holding onto money. This was a problem, because their was a minimum and some places would not take it. Also for some reason my husbands card told him he was out of cash when he had only used it once and was sure he was not.. Came back, 6 months later the person who purchased the cards told him she got notification he had $XXX amount unused on the card and to use it or loose it. Nice to get it back, but would of been nice if it had worked during the trip!!!.. All the way around, it was a good idea gone bad..

If you used cash, they have their own currency, they will take american cash, but you will get their currency back. Do your best to use this up, we were told you couldn't exchange it once you came back to the US.. Sounds funny, and won't be surprised if someone calls me out on this, but this is what our scouts were told.. So do your best to use it up.

Also the sea base T-shirts there was no store, so you ordered them, they would have them waiting for you on the return trip, but they only took cash. Most kids forgot to hold this money in reserve. So take the money for the seabase souveniers up-front, and act like the store they have just purchased from.. Yes, this goes against teaching the scouts responsibility.. But, if you don't the scouts will end up unable to bring a seabase T-shirt / hat whatever momento home from the trip.

Ahhh.. Sorry.. I forget there are 2 bases.. Yes it was the Sea Base in the Bahamas..

But yes they do have their own funny money. I did not go as it was a 100% male ship, but I was presented with a $1 bill from my son because he couldn't turn it in. The front states "These notes are legal tender under the central bank of the Bahamas, act 2000" some govenor guy on the front and fishes.. the back has a whole band of horn blowers in some sort of uniform.

But if the U.S. wont honor them, they must be funny money in some way..