Our Troop has a Philmont Trek in the Summer of 2009 and we are well into the planning phase, but we have a few questions and are open for suggestions.

Travel is a huge question - Fly or Drive? We are in NC and that will be a long, hard drive, 3-4 days going, then driving home after the Trek. Flying is faster, most of our crew has never flown, so we see that as part of the adventure, but once in Denver or NM, what's the best way to get to Philmont, rent vans or use a limo/bus/charter service? If you rent vans, then they stay idle at the base camp for 10 days etc...

What's the recommendation on Shake down hikes and prep for the Crew? You want a few to make sure gear and footwear work/fit, that the Crew members can make the trek etc...when does it go overboard?

Does and Don'ts? None of our Crew has been to Philmont before, the adult leaders have plenty of backpacking experience as do a few of the youth members, but most haven't got a lot of trail experience. Suggestions?

Do you sse Philmont gear or bring your own? Pros and cons would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I can't answer all your questions, but I'm sure those who have hiked the trails of Philmont recently will give you plenty of advice. I will say that as a young adult leader going to Philmont from Mississippi over 40 years ago, one of the really exciting things about the experience was the bus trip. Most of us had never been out West and we really had a great time going to and from. I don't know what the cost comparison is, but you already are aware of the transportation problems from Denver to Philmont. For me, I would travel by bus, car, van or whatever it took rather than fly.

Good luck, whatever you decide. It's an experience your boys will never forget.

I'd have to agree with Kahuna...my trek was in '75, and the bus ride from OH to NM was interesting, to say the least. We shared the bus with two other crews from our district. Our crew leader was a Philmont veteran from '72, so he and our SM knew some of the more interesting places on the way out and back, which included an overnight at Ft. Riley Kansas, a visit to the Eisenhower Library, a St. Louis Cardinals game, seeing the outdoor musical "Texas" near Amarillo and other things.

But -- the best part of all, was staying on an overnight with a troop in La Junta, CO, as I recall. They specialized in Indian dance, and did a performance for us (either that, or we just so happened to be there on a night when they were performing anyway). I wish I could recall the details, but it was very entertaining.

We drove out and back on our way out to a cavalcade when I was a kid, it was great for us, and we did a bit of sight seeing on the way. I am in east Tennessee, so it was a long drive. This past summer we flew into Colorado Springs going to Philmont Training Center, and if I ever fly back, I will fly into COS again. Seeing Pikes Peak from the air was great. It is pretty small and not was not busy at all, and at about three hours away from Philmont, it is an hour closer than Denver. As for transportation from there I am not sure, it was only the two of us, but they have several car rental companies on sight(5 or 6 maybe).

I hope you meant to say you were going in 2010 to Philmont. If you are going in 2009 and asking these kind of quesions I would urge you to find a troop or crew in the area that has recently gone to Philmont and take the advisors out to dinner because you have asked hours and hours of questions. You need to spend an afternoon or two with them. The questions you asked should have been addressed last summer. There are lots of resources but its almost too late and would take hours of typing/internet time to help you. Get ahold of someone tonight or tomorrow - call your council office about you went last year. You need help now if you haven't already done your travel reservations and already done equipment reviews and come up with your shakedown schedule.

There are many options for travel. It all depends on what works for you, size of group, cost, etc.

I would say shake down hikes are a must. One is to ensure you are just taking what you need. Even if you do the hikes as a day hike (with full packs), do so. 2-3 seem a reason number. Try to aim for hikes as long as the ones you'll do at Philmont. If there are hilly trails in your area, try to do those vs flat land.

Hmmm. Sounds like your adults understand backpacking, but the kids don't. Use those hikes to make sure the kids understand what's going to happen. Everything you need will be in the pack, and you're not coming back to base camp until the trip is done. Give them some experience with stoves and cooking. Also the use of bear bags.

Philmont usually send info in advance to help. THere is also a crew they sells a good ($10) guidebook to help prepare.

I did some trails in the Sierra Nevada as a youth. Californians in the day tended to take a pass on Philmont, we had our own HA in our backyard.

Even so.

For a 1 week, 50 mile trail, over the 6 months before it, our Troop did no fewer than 4 training hikes. Most were 8-10 miles out, overnight, then same distance back. Got us used to working with our gear and the type of food we'd use. Terrain was maybe 1000 feet vertical in the day.

The last was a 15 mile out, 15 mile back overnight. Terrain was 2500 feet vertical change in the day.

Whatever you do, a solid conditioning program is essential. Learning to share the loads is essential. Learning to minimize your own load is essential.

Thanks to all who have replied so far. We are indeed going to Philmont in June2009. We are well into the planning, preparation, and practice for Philmont. We meet with two different Crews from different Councils and had extensive talks with both about the nuts and bolts of Philmont. I wanted one last information dump before going final, so I posted the original question. I am in favor of flying into Colorado Springs or Denver, do a few days site-seeing/acclimate to the altitude etc...before reporting into Base camp.

We are from fairly flat land, not much altitude so it will take a few days to acclimate and the better shape physically the Crew is in the better. We have two more mare shake down hikes to work out the bugs and equipment issues. Taking a train or bus is not an option for us. We are a Crew of 12. It will be either flying or driving. I would prefer to fly, but it's the last piece of the puzzle, renting a coulple of vans for the time out west or using a delivery/charter service that I'm not comfortable with at this point. And yes, it's getting down to the wire for us to make our final decision. Either was it will work out and my son and I along with the rest of our Crew will have a BLAST! Thanks for y'alls input.

Drop a line to Cooper Wright at CoopWright@aol.com.

His Venture Crew has been updating a thorough Philmont Advisors Guide for years. It will cost you a few dollars, but the advice is excellent!

Other than that, I would recommend spending an extra day or so at altitude before you hit the trail. There is a Boy Scout camping area at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. Take a good day hike in the surrounding mountains. You'll be going downhill to Philmont Base Camp. It makes a difference.

I know this question wasn't asked, but may I make some suggestions for shakedowns (and I'm sure others will chime in too):

Shakedown hikes are great opportunities to:

1. review and revise equipment and packing lists

(1.b. make sure packs, boots, etc fit properly)

(1.c. make sure appropriate clothing is packed)

2. split up group equipment fairly among all participants

3. practice staying together as a group

4. review trail planning and map reading and such

5. talk over emergency procedures

6. practice setting up and tearing down camp quickly

7. practice hanging bear bags with smellables

8. practice preparing meals and cleaning up from them quickly

9. practice subsisting on Philmont menus (you can find them online)

10. talk about duty rosters, etc.

11. review LNT guidelines

12. condition yourselves physically for strenuous days

All that will help you enjoy your Philmont trek even more.

Guy

Just as a blast from the past moment...

I went to Philmont in '83 and travelled from NC (we were a provisional troop from Old Hickory Council).

We travelled by bus and spent the nights on Air Force bases along the way. It was a blast. We boys had a great ime on the bus and really came together (especially since we were a provisional troop).

I remember it taking us 4 days out (taking a souther route (thru SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, TX) and then we came home a more central route (thru the Midwestern plains). We stopped to see all kinds of Americana. The trip should be just as eduactional and memorable as the hikes.

You might want to try searching the Camping and High Adventure Forum on the word "Philmont" over the last few years. Several experiences have been written by members of this Forum. I just searched over the last 3 years on this thread and found over 100 entries.

You also might want to try Selden Ball's Philmont links:

http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/philmont.html

Have fun at Philmont this summer. IMHO, It's the best.

The only thing I would add with respect to shakedown hikes, is that you really need to do at least one multi-night hike. A minimum hike covering 15 - 20 miles over two nights. One nighters are fine to start with, but a minimum two nighter forces the scouts to learn to properly clean and pack their cooking gear, and address the issue of carrying and conserving enough water.

The one nighters are a good introduction, but it's the second night and third day where they will really get a better idea of what life on the trail will be like.

SA

I went to Philmont in 1975, also. We went by bus from western PA with an itinerary similar to yours. Our bus driver was very experienced in the trip having driven the council contingents there for several years and used it as a vacation with his wife while we hiked. (His wife flew out and met him in Denver.)

We stayed at military bases most of the way back and forth which was very cost effective. Visited Carlsbad Caverns, Six Flags over Texas, and even spent an afternoon in Juarez, Mexico. Wish I had good memories of La Junta though. Most of our crew lost all their patches from uniforms and shirt-jacs during our short evening there. Our council never stayed there again.

Truly a life changing experience!

807-H-4