So, how would you go "off trailing"?

If you have done it before then you will know the amazing feeling it is to go off trailingthe adrenaline of being adventurous and the awe that comes when you realize you might be the only human to have found that secret clearing with the blueberry bushes or the waterfall with the cave under it. You feel like you have a better connection and understanding with the forest around you and the more you do it the more familiar it feels until you really hate (and I mean loath) when people have the gall to cut down trees to make paths so that they can walk unhindered through the forest with their little backpacks on.... Hehe lol okmaybe I am getting a bit carried away (I had three hours of sleep last night and 7 classes todaythe fact that I only had three hours of sleep hasnt caught up with me yet but those espresso beans sure have!)

Anyways, I was wondering what your suggestions would be for off trailing. I will be honest in stating that I love doing it, but am perfectly horrible at it. I was not one of those fortunate people to have been born with a good sense of direction and(to make things better) I am accident-prone. Thankfully, I have amazing friends who know both of theses things and never let me out of their sight and also who happen to excel in the areas I lack (they make maps in their head and always know where they are). But I was wondering if you were to go off trailing what things you would do or take etc

Thanks again for all the tips! Makes me wish I could join some sort of crew (had the chance when I was younger but my parents, given my two faults listed above, decided it wouldnt be a good ideaI suppose I would have given any leader a couple gray hairs lol)

"Leave no trace" I would define it as a warning against purposely defacing nature for the heck of it...in other words breaking small trees, kicking up things on the ground or leaving trash (we would kill anyone in our group who even thought of littering in 'our woods')

I suppose you could say we do have a set of un-written un-spoke rules that we follow. When we go off trailing it's not a free for all, there is one person who chooses the way to go and everyone else follows (so that instead of making eight separate paths through the woods we make only one) we don't, as i said, handle everything we see. I suppose you could say we consider the forest sacred almost. it should be respected (even the briars) we never take anything but pictures and never leave anything but footprints and if we see something that looks like it might be a home like a beaver damn, birds nest or hornet nest (especially those hornet nests) we give them a wide berth. Does this sound ok?

(This message has been edited by WildernesStudent)

I can see what they mean by Leave No Trace.

There is a part that states "Stick to the Trails."

But if you are going in an area that is not overpopulated with trails, like it sounds like you are describing, then you need to make sure that you do you best to leave no marks that you were there. Avoid tearing up the ground cover, breaking trees that you move past, things like that.

The LNT promise in my thoughts is a statement of a state of mind. It means leaving the least impact possible on the areas that you visit. If you have a fire ring, replace the ground cover, if you did a hole, fill it in. If you take your pets, don't let them dig or chase the wildlife. Pack out your trash and be kind to nature. I think some people are taking the LNT to the extremes. If you are in a State park then stick to the trails. If you are in an area with no marked camp areas, or trails, then be verycareful and and most of all, enjoy.

I know I am gonna be argued by a lot of people here, so lets see what I get for a response. I am not saying that we should just go on a free for all, but there are some places that you can find your own. Not every camping trip is meant to be on an improved site.

Actually, eight separate paths would be better. The brush has a better chance to recover.

"until you really hate (and I mean loath) when people have the gall to cut down trees to make paths so that they can walk unhindered through the forest with their little backpacks on...."

And people have the gall to call me undiplomatic. What a way to alienate the folks who you are asking for advice.(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

GoldWinger

I would have to agree with you on that. If you spread out the wear, then the impact is less.

Wilderness Student

Think of it this way. The paths that are already formed are usually from where people naturally walk, therefore wearing a nice solid surface and creating an opening where brush cannot grow.

So in conjunction with what GW said, if you spread out the wear, (Remembering to be careful not to damage things) then you will have a better effect of the Leave No Trace Program

"until you really hate (and I mean loath) when people have the gall to cut down trees to make paths so that they can walk unhindered through the forest with their little backpacks on...."

And people have the gall to call me undiplomatic. What a way to alienate the folks who you are asking for advice.

(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)"

I meant no offense Gold Winger. I was simply being sarcastic and perhaps a tad overdramatic, I wasn't targeting anyone least of all the BSA...no need to get defensive. I honestly don't have problems with hiking trails or the people who walk on them. I do, however, get irritated by certain high maintenance people who think the woods should be changed to suit what they want...they are constantly for the "taming" of our woods (with portable bathrooms and coke machines every quarter of a mile!)Because "Lord forbid, nature come in contact with them!" and yet they buy their hiking boots, their backpacks (which is what i meant by 'little backpacks not sure if you've ever seen one they aren't really good for carrying much but water and a cell phone...but very stylish) and want 'real wilderness experience. I'm certainly not saying everyone is like this...but I used to be and have seen it first hand. I love national parks but I seriously LOVE the untamed wilderness, which is one of the reasons I joined this forum for advice. I know the BSA respects nature and that they truly enjoy it. Believe me, if I have a son one day he will be put in the BSA. I have nothing but respect for your organization, and sense I've been on here asking questions everyone's been more then friendly and very helpful.

Please accept my apology for this misunderstanding...I'm a writer and I do tend to get carried away when I'm posting...I also tend to lean toward the abstract/romantic side of things (logic and reality are hard for me to grasp sometimes) quite a lot I tend to go to the extreme (Know anyone else who doesn't completely object to getting lost in the woods because the experience you would have and be able to write about would be priceless). Now that you know how crazy I am, I hope you realize that I meant no offense and I do most sincerely apologize.

Here's my advice:

Head to Yellowstone in, say, early May. Enter the NE entrance and drive down the Lamar Valley until find the parking area for the Specimen Ridge trailhead. Head up that trail until you crest the ridge - it'll be a nice stroll. Once you're over the top, you can divert off trail to your left pretty much anywhere. From the ridge you'll be able to spot good clear areas to go through and you won't do any more damage than the animals around you.

Once you get back down out of the snow and into the forest on this south-facing area, take the time to check the bases of trees for owl splatters. If you see their tell-tale whitewash and you're lucky, you might spot one of the great greys around there. I once found a nest. Spectacular.

Keep your compass safe, you'll need it. Now keep trudging along. The going is easy because you don't have to fight through undergrowth or small trees. You can't get lost...all you have to do is go back to the top to find the trail again.

The whole area is spectacular so you'll want to make sure you have appropriate music from your ipod coming through the ear buds to enhance the sensation. I prefer classical.

You'll see numerous animal paths to take. You won't do any more damage than an elk, which you might see...cows anyway, with newly born calves. You might hear the wolves, they'll be feasting on elk and bison babies. Bears too. A cow with a calf might get too close to the forest line and a bear might dart out and take the calf in about one second. Then drag the crying animal into the woods to show it the meaning of fate.

You also might want to make sure you have little bells on your ankles to let bears know where you are. Also, and bear spray. Forget regular pepper spray, it would only piss them off. And the real bear spray is expensive but it's good. Don't even try the spray to check it...it's so powerful that a slight whiff will put you in agony.

Now if you happen on an old carcass with scraps of hide and bones with only a bit of flesh left on them, look carefully around you.

If you're lucky you'll find the spot in the grass and needles where the bear was bedded down to guard the kill. Feel it to see if it's still warm. Don't worry, you'd be dead already if he was there. I have often been amazed at how many generations of skeletal remains there are in this area. The whole place is a killing ground.

Check out the area to see if you can find his scat. The scat will tell you whether it was a black bear or a grizzly.

Both will have fur in them but the black bear will have berry seeds. The grizzly scat will contain fur, bits of bone, and occasionally little bells.

Heh, heh, I just love that last part.

Have a good hike.

"Anyways, I was wondering what your suggestions would be for off trailing."

- Don't do it. Its against all National Park rules and most National and State forest rules.

- Buy a GPS.

- Update your will.

- As a writer you should carry a water proof pad and pen so you can jot down your final thoughts. Who knows maybe it will sell high enough on eBay to pay for your burial. :)

(This message has been edited by Its Me)

" As a writer you should carry a water proof pad and pen so you can jot down your final thoughts. Who knows maybe it will sell high enough on eBay to pay for your burial"

LOL! Nice response (touch!). But I never take the risk of writing any of my brilliant ideas down on a plane old pad of paper...Anyone could steel them! Also, though I am accident-prone I highly doubt fate would just let me die. The way things usually stand I am constantly sliding down hills, falling off rocks, getting whacked in the face with branches, falling in the creek, twisting ankles or getting so scratched up I look like I got attacked by a house cat.... I have yet to get stitches, or break a bone...mostly I am just the queen of minor yet painful injuries.

Oh, and as for my will.... I don't have one, once I do die my identity will be erased from all existing files...that is, I will never have existed.... so you see no need for burial money...;)

I understand the allure of staying off the beaten path. However, you must be careful, not only for your own safety, but that of the environment too.

First off, you shouldn't do it alone because if you get hurt, it will be nearly impossible you will be found alive, if at all.

Second, if you go with someone, you shouldn't follow in a single line. Spread out a bit to reduce your compression of the ground. Especially if you are doing an out and back route. You and a friend will leave 4 sets of prints on the same path and create a new trail. There should be no trace that a human crossed that area. If you do, others will follow, creating new trails.

Third, because you are off trail, be very aware of your impact. Wet soggy areas will be extremely impacted by your foot prints. Lightly vegetated hillsides will begin to erode after your feet slip and dig them up. Thick woods should not be cut to satisfy your sense of adventure. You won't be able to take the B-Line, you might have to take the long and windy road.

If you can do all three of those things, I say have at it. Otherwise, stay on the beaten path.

I remember some great experiences of going off exploring through the woods. It's hard to feel like you're exploring when you're on a trail.

When I was a kid, there were lots of woods all around. The deer did far more damage to the woods than a few kids roaming around. Our Scout troop took a topo map and set out for a destination. We got lost, of course. But eventually we came out on a road and worked our way back. My brothers and I would regularly set out in the woods. Most of the time we didn't get lost, although there was that one time... (but again, we came out on a road and worked our way back).

My dad would take us out in the woods. Hunters do this all the time.

I do think that it can be a very different experience, going off trail. National forests, state game lands, there are lots of places that allow this. Nowadays I would at least take a GPS, even if I didn't turn it on until I was lost.

Wildernes Student, I had really kind of forgotten about that amazing feeling you write about. I haven't done it in a long time.

The idea of responsible off trailing or route finding as not NLT compliant is strange to me. Has the population in the lower 48 exploded that much? Or perhaps I'm too ingrained into the Alaskan lifestyle now. ;)

We've done a fair share of "off trailing" or route finding in the national forest the most the ranger has said when I checked on what the rules said was "Leave a route plan and tell us how it worked out when you come back" going as far as suggesting routes to try as possible future trails.

One excursion we "found" an abandoned mine that was marked on historical gold claim maps but wasn't shown on the current topo maps. The mine was within a known area so we used a collapsing square search pattern. Our results were shared with the USFS and no we did not go into any shafts or audits.

Back to Wilderness Student's questions in the first place what to take, do etc

First contact the authority of the area you want to explore NPS, USFS, State. etc. find out if its okay with them first and if they have any suggested routes or destinations.

As to what to take along mostly its gear you are already have just a couple suggestions

CURRENT TOPO MAP Up to date declination,hand written in legend

If the map has a 5 year or older printing date the

declination can be as much as a full degree off and each

year it can change even more!

Try to get as large a scale as possible 25k is the best we

can do in our neck of the woods but some areas we have to

make do with a 100k.

HAND COMPASS old fashioned magnetic needle not a digital. I have a Silva Ranger and set the current declination on the dial it comes with a mirror to take bearings and clinometer to judge grade.

GPS With spare batteries turn it on at the trail head first to mark the trail head second to ensure the GPS is set up for your area.

WATERPROOF GRAPH PAPER For note taking, mapping and future reference in case you want to return and to share with the ranger(s) back home

PENCIL(s) Blood makes poor ink and isn't all that waterproof

For camping gear even for a day hike carry food and supplies as if planning a 48 hour camp. Yes even a tent/tarp sleeping bag extra weigh yes but worth every ounce if you get "confused" overnight

At home or with a responsible person leave your route plan:

Who is with you

If leaving a car, truck, suv at a trail head description and plate number

The gear you are packing tents, sleeping bags

Any known medical issues in group

Any signaling devices you have

Intended route, destination, time/date/place of return

A copy of the map you are using

What is the alternate destination aka "Plan B"

Lastly what time to call the authorities if you fail to return/call as scheduled. "We plan to be back home by 3pm but don't panic unless we miss dinner"

When you get back do not forget to call your route plan holder!

With glaciers receding faster than the NPS or the USFS can build official trails getting to or even getting a good view of a backwoods glacier becomes more of a challenge every year. The skills of route finding come into play and yes we can truthfully say we have walked where no one has walked before on the Terminal Moraine of Herbert Glacier and all we left was footprints.

Its waaaaaay past my bedtime

AK-Eagle

aka

Phillip Martin

Scoutmaster Troop 700

Juneau Alaska