I know this is gonna sound a little dumb. But I need some help understanding what goes into a cracker barrel meal.

I don't eer remember doing these things when I was in scouts and now that we are going as cubs (including tigers) I am looking for something easy on Sunday afternoon.

OK hit me with the answers

Cracker Barrel isn't a meal It's horse doovers the Boy Scout way.

Crackers, beef stick, cheese, popcorn, hot chocolate, coffee, cider, even watercress sandwiches.

Basically, whatever sort of snacks you'd like to have. The idea is to get people together to socialize a bit.

SctDad,

When I was a scout, (late 70s-early 80s), we didn't do this either as a troop. I don't recall doing this at camporees either.

However, we did have cracker barrels every evening at every Order of the Arrow function-Ordeals, Fellowships, Conclaves...

They were much the same as Gold Winger describes. Crackers, cheese cubes, lunchmeat cut into quarters to fit the crackers, chips, soda/kool aid. It was always something quick and easy to prepare, and inexpensive as well. I would agree with GW, in that it was basically a setting for fellowship!

Steve

At every Council Cub camping event I've been to, it's usually been leftovers from lunch or dinner. Although Cub Resident Camp did have pie and ice cream one evening and oatmeal creme cookies the next....yum.

At the National Camping School course I went to at Heritage Scout Reservation in PA it was a specific stand alone snack, nachos one night and buffalo wings the next.

On Pack camping trips it's usually Smores.

Your mileage may vary, but enjoy it just the same.

John

Assistant Cubmaster

Pack 13

Shenandoah Area Council(This message has been edited by WVCubDad)

Cracker barrel is a fancy name for snack. The younger the boys the more snacks they consume per day. A camporee or troop Cracker Barrel is the before bed snack late in the evening. If your boys are trustworthy with them you can have them toast marshmallows or even make s'mores. Some troops adjust the eating schedule to eat late in the evening they more often have an afternoon snack.

It used to be that in general, individual units didn't have "Cracker Barrels". Snacks, yes - and they could even be the same kind of snacks found at "Cracker Barrels", but they weren't called "Cracker Barrels".

"Cracker Barrels" aren't really about the food. Its about getting together with friends and soon to be friends around a, you guessed it, a "Cracker Barrel" to exchange news, gossip, recipes, thoughts, ideas, etc. The terminology comes from when most people shopped at the local General Store and would gather 'round the Cracker Barrel to set and visit for a spell.

Most camporees I've been to have had a "Cracker Barrel" for the Scoutmaster and SPL's on the first night out so that the Camporee staff can provide the information all the units need for the next couple of days activities - ie: When do the events start, what time is flag raising, where is Sunday services, when is the closing ceremony, etc. etc. etc.

OA often has Cracker Barrels that every one is invited to, which still reflects the spirit of ye olde cracker barrel - a gathering of friends and soon to be friends to catch up on whats been happening since the last time they got together (OA is a great opportunity for Scouts and Scouters from different parts of the Council to get to know one another).

As for food, you can get as fancy or as simple as you want. Simple is crackers, cheese, and sausage. Fancy is bite size pizza. Except for Watercress Sandwiches. The only time watercress sandwiches are acceptable at a Scouting function is if the watercress has been harvested from the wild by the Scout/Scouter, and served on made-from-scratch bread baked in a duth oven over coals.

Calico