rescuing 2 old Coleman stoves

Pack, you are my new BFF. OMG, I thought these stoves were long discontinued and scrapped. Just goes to show you can't kill a good idea. Kinda makes me feel like a schuck for paying $40 for a parts stove on Ebay when I can get new parts here. Now where did the Mrs put that credit card!

"The small propane tanks are easily filled or exchanged for full and last for a couple of trips before needing filling."

I hope that you don't mean that you're refilling the 1 lb tanks. Refilling them isn't illegal but refilling and then transporting them is.

Just a slight detour in response to SVEA type stoves and cold. I discovered years ago that the issue was not the stove itself, but where I set it. I was having real trouble getting it to light due to it not presurizing. As those familiar know, you have to heat the stem or area below the nozzle to get the gas to vaporize from the liquid. Cold metal will make it far more difficult. Anyway, I finally moved it from the flat rock to two small sticks on the ground; it lit immediately. Since then I have carried a small square of old insolite to put beneath the stove. It lights fine every time.

Have been told, but am not familiar directly, that white gas is far superior at high elevations. And now that fire paste and other similar products exist, the problem of putting fuel in the well at the stem is gone. They also now have the attachable bottle apparatus that can be used, which makes filling the main tank less necessary. On weekend trips, there would likely be little need to refill using these.

• 1 month later...

I don't have the website, but I rebuilt a Coleman Stove and a couple of lanterns a few months ago.

You can Google, Coleman Lanterns or How to Rebuild Coleman Lanterns. There are sites that will go step by step the disassembly and reassembly.

You can get parts from Coleman for several older items.

I had one lantern with a faulty check valve in the tank. Those can be very tough to remove and require a special tool.

Jeff

I CARRY a square box Primus. Lights first time, everytime.

Scouts carry a collection of types, so called pocket rockets, MSR, etc.

Troop trailer CARRIES two burner Colemans, all of which used to be white gas fired. We discovered a conversion kit for the liquid fuel stoves at the local Dick's. This kit also saved my two burner J.C.Higgins stove! (God knows how old that stove is. It was my father in laws). The kit consists of a tube and valve/regulator that inserts into the stove where the gas tank tube would insert and a spring to hold it in.. A propane tank (or extension hose) screws onto the regulator. Presto! A new stove! Kit retails for $18. (on sale for $14.50 ) .

The stoves can still use the liquid fuel tanks, if desired.