rescuing 2 old Coleman stoves

If I put this in the wrong category, my apologies--

Does anyone know how to refurbish old stoves, or where to get parts for them?

I've got two 40+-year-old Coleman backpack stoves- the green ones that came with an aluminum box that doubled as a cook kit. They pressurize just fine, but the neck where the element attaches to the can leaks under pressure. I'm really hoping that it's just a matter of old dry seals or gaskets, as these are awesome little stoves- a bit heavy, but don't tip easily at all. I'd love for my son to be able to put them to work in Troop.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can pass along!

http://www.scouting.org/healthandsafety/resources/19-171/index.html

Chances are the troop will have propane/butane fueled stoves which are much more user friendly. Old leaky stoves are a recipe for disaster. Many camps do not allow liquid fueled ones any more and some councils have banned them as well. What good is an item that requires "strict adult supervision" when we are trying to teach patrols to be self sufficient.

If you can disassemble the stove easily, you can probably improvise a new seal from old carburetor gasket material you get from an auto parts store. It's your call, though. Sometimes we just have to decide to put a stake through its heart and lay it to rest. ;)

I like the old liquid fuel stoves even though, as mentioned, there is a certain risk attached. Mostly because you don't have to dispose of old propane or butane containers. If those were easily refillable, I'd be willing to take a closer look.

In the past I have seen kits of parts to fix / referbuish old stoves sold in large camp gear stores. I do not know if these still exist.

I know from personal experience that white gas stoves have their place and can save your neck. On a backpacking trip as a Scout ... our butane gas cans froze, one of our leaders had to warm (boil) them on his white gas stove before we could use them. About a month later the Troop bough as I recall 6 Peak I backpacking stoves (white gas) and we used them for years. For the adventurous things we did they proved to work better for us. And yes, even then there were strict BSA policy on their usage and adults being only one allowed to fill them.

Propane freezes at a much warmer temp then white gas. It is also heavier for the same number of hours of fuel. This does not mean propane is not a good fuel. I use both. It is a matter of what you are doing, the climate you are in and what your needs are.

Like anything a stove is as safe as your knowledge in how to use... Remember what the California Conservation Corps teaches "Safety First - safety always!".

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders one resource at a time...

I've got a 50 year old SVEA stove I just can't part with. Can't get parts, leaks, darn dangerous, but makes the sweetest jet afterburner sound imaginable. Burns anything liquid with a flash point. Did I mention dangerous? Love that stove. But, isobutane and propane is heads and shoulders more safe and cleaner. Just don't work worth a darn sub-zero.

your 50 year old stove is not in proper working condition so of course no duh it is dangerous that is true with a car an ax a tv anything ...

if you use good equipment in proper working condition ... the fuel will be only one small element of its safety ... the way it is used (meaning used the way it is designed) would be a more important issue ...

it is like a thread a while back about which is safer an ax or a hand ax ... the correct answer is neither and both ... it is in the training and usage of it not the tool itself ... all things being equal .. this does not mean a small webelos should be using a full size ax that was not the question .. the question is which tool is safer (tool not user) ...

I am not debating that propane is better or worse the white gas or which is easier to use ... there is no question propane is easier to use and is a cleaner fuel ... the point is that doesn't matter if you know how to use and properly use white gas then they are both equally safe for the normal outdoors adventurous ... there are advantages and disadvantages of both as well and you should know what these are if you do anything more then tent camp.

Scott Robertson

Helping leaders one resource at a time...

Yeah, but with the attention to safety details required to properly fill and operate a liquid fueled stove is higher than a bottled fuel stove. Considering the attention span of most scouts, this is a considerable safety concern that can be mitigated by just using canned fuel. Not saying they can't do it, just saying the difference is a quick poof and some burnt hair smells or a lengthy WOOOF and the smell of burning nylon!

I agree as a general rule that propane is better for Scout and most Scouting adventures ... My point is know the strong and week points of the equipment and/or fuel and use what best meets your needs and situation as well as knowledge/skill level...

Sorry for stealing the thread for this debate ... me offers a scout handshake to GernBlansten

Back on topic the stoves I have taken apart and tried to refurbished I have found usually just need a good cleaning and new gaskets and then they work fine ...

Scott Robertson

I also have one of those Svea 123 stoves, about 10 years 'younger'. Mine is still in great condition and my attachment to it is as much sentimental as anything. I DO remember that under really cold conditions, it is tough to keep burning, though.

Today I have one of the MSR stoves with the pressurizing pump. But I still think fondly about the Svea and its elegant simplicity.

The troop I am associated with owns 4 bbq size propane tanks. along with 4 trees hoses and equipment for each tank to operate a stove, small table top grill and a lantern. One set of gear is issued to each patrol. The small propane tanks are easily filled or exchanged for full and last for a couple of trips before needing filling. We have some small disposable butane tanks for the once a year canoe trip. This is Florida we do not have much in the way of cold issues. Of the last three severe reprimands of scouts delivered in our case by the troop committee all three have been for fuel violations. All three were older scouts that definitely knew better. Two were reprimanded for using charcoal lighter in an attempt to rekindle a dying fire one for using a can of pam as a blowtorch. If you have fuel in the trailer they are going to find it and try to use it not always as it should be used. For adults use what you like. I have several white gas stoves, plus two lanterns, and a can of fuel as part of my hurricane kit. I bought a couple of them from a local troop at a sale of equipment that they were discarding they went with propane similar to the above setup.

A friend of mine gave me his Army issue M1950 stove. It's made by Coleman and is similar to yours. On a recent trip, one of the other leaders had a newer ultralight stove that used white gas. It took him forever to get it lit while my M1950 was happily heating dinner. However, his boils water far faster than mine does. I'd love to figure out a way to make it burn hotter.

The point is, there is an online manual for the M1950 that is very detailed, but I can't find it right now.

In the old days coleman had numerous authourized repair locations..sadly is seem repair is not what the want...its replacement....

That said Coleman has a fairly extensive (if some what slow) web site with lots of parts...Try there first. If you contact them with a question...be prepared to be answered by a brain dead "dwebe" who's answer to everything is ..."Well maybe its time to think about a new______". Sometimes you have to call two or three times to get someone who really wants to help you.

I have been keeping four stoves and five old (very old) white gas lanterns working for 20-36 years (and counting) can't say that about propane gear....

If all else fails haul your stove down to an old plumbing supply store/country hardware (not a big box) and have them look at the "o" rings and gaskets as you dismantle the stove...they seem to have old drawers full of tiny pieces that can work....

good luck

Anarchist

Anarchist, I suspect we could trade stories on our respective lanterns. I have a couple left by my father that go back to WWI times. Keeping them running is kind of a badge of honor or tradition for me.

A few years ago, before we had recycling centers, I spotted a pair of chrome-plated lanterns discarded at a dumpster, you know..just set out so d-divers like me could get to them easily. They're my most recent additions and I would like to thank the person who made that possible. :)