Scouts Canada Launches New Uniforms

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brent & GP

Sorry but I think you guys are way off base if you think Canadian Scout uniforms "don't look like scouts", bull. Their streamlined look compared to the BSA badge ladened uniforms "Christmas tree" look is not only more functional it is a cleaner look.

BSA uniforms with all their permanent and temporary patches, add a merit badge sash, OA sash makes our kids look like paramilitary generalismos by comparison.

I think those new Canadian uniforms are superb!

Very clean and functional looking. Wish the BSA would go the same route.

I do not like the BSA's penchant for clutter--doo dads, gizmos, etc. Nor for the over-engineered, potatoe sack styling. Folks look nerdy and needy (ego boost), not to mention the added costs. Nice and pretty (showing ones' plummage) for meetings, training sessions, and conferences, but utterly useless in the outdoors.

desertrat77: Agreed. The BSA uniform reminds me of a tie. A tie is a style preferred 30+ years ago and few people wear anymore ... except when required.... Everyone removes ties as soon as possible. I'm sure this is related to why uniforming is such a challenge.

I agree that uniforming should be a "method" in scouting. But, ... IMHO ... the purpose of being uniformed is to get the individual to identify as a member of a group; as something more than just a "self". I think the Canadian uniform does that just fine. Move all our flashy stuff off the uniform to the sash.

Side note: My opinion is affected by my disappointment with the centenial unifoorm. I really looked forward to it. BUT ... The belt buckles fail. Scout pants wear out and tear within a year. (My old style pants are going on 8+ years and are in fine shape.) The new shirt stick-on letters and flag fall off. (old shirt was embroidered.) It's not the foreign manufacturing. BSA cut-corners on materials and design. I'm disillusioned as the price stayed very high. It's all marketing hype and little quality. I'm really glad the scout stores have a lifetime replacement guarantee. I've swapped out two belts and three pants. I've got a shirt to swap now too.

It would be nice if CSE Mazzucca went to visit the Scouts Canada uniforming operation and see how it should be done. Offer a quality product at a reasonable cost, something the BSA Supply division and the CSE really need to learn and understand.

Me personally here are my thoughts.

1) limit the amount of patches on the current uniform.

2) Bring back the original Switchbacks with the verticle zipper to remove the leg without taking off your boots BUT size them correctly.

3)make it mandatory for neckers.

With respect to our friends to the north

(I love'em by the way), I do not care for a rehashed European looking bland uniform that does not appear to be as functional as the American style.

Their uniform does not reflect a rugged statement but says "lets sit down and make crafts all day". Who wants to look like a brownie?

Our uniform is very functional, unique and stylish. I have never had a problem with my patches falling off, pants ripping or anything else even though I hike, bike and camp with them.

I agree, our uniforms should and can be made in the USA.

Canadian uniforms look nice, but I do like our BSA uniforms and have had no problems with them. I do think they can and should be made in the USA and I agree with Eagle92 that we should limit the patches we put on them. I would even vote that the patches be smaller.

I took a good look at my uniform shirts and came to the conclusion that they look a little ridiculous with all of the "allowed" patches I've put on them. I've been a leader for six years now and I've fallen into the trap of showing off. Just because a patch is allowed to go on the uniform does not mean it should. I need to reevaluate...The shirts look much better with less clutter.

I have five pairs of the original Switchback zip-offs (I loaded up when they went on sale before the introduction of the current version). I wear them for all Scouting campouts, hikes, meetings, and other events, and for lots of non-Scouting purposes as well. But if they hadn't been on sale, I'd buy cheap nylon zipoffs from Campmor or Sierra Trading Post for camping and "everyday" use. I'd have one pair of Switchbacks that I'd alternate with the old-style Scout pants, wearing them only to meetings and other indoor and ceremonial events (as described in the Boy Scout Handbook) -- with my Centennial nylon uniform shirt, which doesn't get outdoors much.

I've tried to minimize the patches on my Centennial shirt. On the front I only have the stick-on "Boy Scouts of America," an embroidered name tape, and the purple universal patch -- no knots, OA pocket flap, or temporary patches. But just the basics still means the American flag and current Quality Unit patch on the right sleeve; the Council Shoulder Patch, one-piece unit numerals/veteran unit bar, "Trained" patch, and position patch on the right sleeve; and shoulder tabs on the epaulettes. That is still 11 items stuck or sewn on that shirt (12 if you count the veteran unit bar as a separate item). That is just way too many, occupying way too much real estate.

If it wasn't for the cost and effort (expensive shirt and multiple units), I've wanted to create an every day, out in public Class A (minimal decorations) and a court of honor Class A (knots and all the plumage).

Just a thought.

fred8033, I agree with the concept. I think I'd like some "accessory" (vest, sash, hat, necklace, whatever) with all the bling that could be just tossed on over the "everyday"/very minimal Class A, or troop shirt, or other Scout or non-Scout shirt, rather than a separate shirt, but that would be fine too. The main thing is your idea for a minimalist standard uniform shirt that you can wear out and about in public without looking like either a state trooper or a third world dictator.

Dan Kurtenbach

Fairfax, VA