Usefulness of bsauniforms.org

I thought the website was pretty neat explaining the basic uniform quite well -- what's involved with it, which pieces go with what and how things are worn. It didn't go into any of the more complex details, but as an initial overview for people who are completely new to it, it works quite well.

Most people don't live by an ocean and it's pretty difficult to sail on a river. It seems pretty reasonable that the BSA doesn't waste resources advertising Sea Scouts to all those people that will never really be able to do anything with it (except maybe one week in the summer).

I have seen folks sailing on rivers.

There are also thousands of lakes in this country.

Sail boats are not the only kind of vessel used by Sea Scouts.

I don't see promoting one of your organizations programs as a "waste" of resources.

Bart,

Please take no offense, but your rational on why the BSA shouldn't support Sea Scouts is the reason WHY Sea Scouts needs more promotion.

Yes my old ship sailed, but it was in a lake. I visited a ship that used only kayaks. I've seen ships that used only power boats. I've read about ships that only use canoes. I was part of another ship that used kayaks, sailboats, and motorboats. And I've heard of some ship who due nothing but scuba. Yes I did sail in the Gulf of Mexico, and kayaked in the English Chanel, But I know of sea scouts who sail in rivers. I know of sea scouts that sail in lakes. I know of ships who sole purpose is to support scout camps on an island in a lake. I know of sea scouts that are in places where you wouldn't think about, like an Arizona Sea Scout ship.

Where there is water, both salt and fresh (got that Sailing, both salt and FRESH, LOL), that can be used for aquatics, a ship can be formed.

Eagle 92

I agree with you about the different configurations of "ships" out there. I think Bart is just going for some kind of record of the most posts possible here, in another thread he asks and answers his own question, lol. His lack of experience and understanding about scouting really shows in his posts.

BP,

I must respectfully disagree. I think Bart is evidence of the lack of promotion by national. Sea Scouts is not promoted by national enough. that is evidence by the lack of info on the national websites. It can also be seen in other things. One example is the DC parade in July. The float that was suppose to represent all BSA programs did not have a First Class Anchor on the float, there was only 1 Sea Scout ship in the parade, and I saw only 1 other person in a sea scout uniform in the parade. I was asked a lot of questions about the Sea Scout program, as well as the Pamlico Sea Base which I was promoting, by youth and adults alike because few had even heard of Sea Scouts.

Sailing on rivers can be a lot of fun. It presents its own difficulties, but if the wind is right there is no better place to get some good practice short tacking.

I think Bart is thinking of the larger end of sailboats. On most rivers it is difficult to sail a 40' sloop, but a Cal 20, or J22 would be great on a large river. Going even smaller than that a river is a great place to have a Laser, or FJ, or 420 regatta. The windsurfers love rivers, anybody traveling on the Sacramento river on a Saturday can see that. Now you probably wouldn't want a Finn, or 29er, or Moth on a river, but Sea Scouts can have a lot of fun on rivers. My old ship is perfectly positioned to take trips both up the Sacramento river, and out into San Francisco Bay. Both offer their own unique experiences (you can swim near Sacramento, but only crazy people and escaped prisoners swim in the bay), but both are fun.

As Eagle mentioned, Sea Scouts can do many different things. There is sailing (big and small), power boating (big and small), fishing, SCUBA diving, kayaking, canoeing, rowing, rafting, and so much more.

Eagle, if we ban the fresh water then all the Sea Scouts on river can come and visit us on the coast. :D

As in all things, it's the people that make the program. Anyone out there know Henry Nygard? Actually he served in the Air Force, but he and his sons established a SShip in Montgomery County, SS759, which I did not join, staying in Dirt Scouting (!), but he was a good friend of our family. The first thing they did was build a raft on 55 gallon drums and float it in the local reservoir. Then they partnered with another SShip on the Ches bay and obtained (don't know how) an old PT boat. That didn't last long, I understand, and I then went off to college and lost track of all. Next time I caught up with Sea Scouts, I discover they have named the annual local regatta after Henry.

Oh, it's definitely useful, and needs promotion. All you need is some really dedicated people.

http://www.seascout.net/chesapeake/special_events/regatta.htm

"Is it so nice as all that?" asked the mole, shyly...

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat Solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

BSA states that all uniforms ever used are still permitted to be worn. So if a CS or CS leader is wearing the green and tan numbers on his CU shirt, he is in a "vintage" August 2008-April 2009 era uniform, and thus properly uniformed per the instructions in place at that time

That's good because in our Pack our leaders have a mix of red/white unit numbers and green/tan unit numbers.  The difference is not that noticeable and still looks good.  It's all "official" anyway.