Embroidered Names Tags with Fleur de Lis

old topic I know....

Our pack just camped the USS Yorktown. There was a troop there with sewn on embroidered tags. very sharp I thought. On boys and leaders. I asked a leader, who said they were close to a military base and "had an in"....

These were not nearly as big as the miliary strips and looked much nicer I thought for scouting, I'm guessing 3/4in wide max with maybe 5/8in letter height. Black strips with the fleur & first and last names all in line, to mimic the official BSA tags.

I'm not sure about putting them on the Cub uniforms, but i think it would be nice for the leaders.....

Re. the BSA magnetic one..... what do I think about them? If anyone ever finds mine, please let me know!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

T2   Why on earth do you need a nametag? Don't the people in your troop know who you are? Maybe at a council function you can use a temporary one or a pin on one, but a permanent name patch, lol gi

Okay, as mentioned...old conversation, but I did just find it.

So, I did some internet searches and read the following color ideas for this:

- Brown with Red Letters (matches BSA strip)

- Black with White Letters (matches plastic nametag)

- Green with ?? Letters (guess it's green for Boy Scouts)

Anyway.. the only picture of an embroidered name tag I can find is brown with black letters. (funny it was in my home state)

Link: http://www.bsatroop177ok.org/newscouts

I was wondering if anyone else might have a picture of what these other name tags look like. I'd like to compare what they look like before I try to commit to altering my uniform.

I guess I didn't really ask a question.....

Do you have a source for these?

The ones I saw (and would like)were black, white lettering in one line with Fleur to match the regulation tags, and as mentioned were small enough as to not look military or tacky.

Really, i would think that a background with an exact match to the shirt (either tan or blue) might look better, but I'm willing to want to stick as close as possible to the regulation BSA tags

In my limited life experience these are often done by small shops near Military bases--they often do uniform alterations as well. I know we have a few near MacDill AFB in Tampa.

I think it is just done by a special machine. In the old days folks just did a stencil.

I suspect that you try Googling Name Tapes.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought for sure this was the thread I posted in about a month ago...... must have been another thread but no I can't find it.

Anyway, I was trying to revive and old thread about sewn on name tags.

We were on a trip recently, and there was a BS troop there with sewn on name tags for each boy and leader.

They were simple black woven strips with teh fleur and 1st & last name in white stitching.

Maybe 1/2inch wide (or 5/8in at the most), with maybe 1/4in or 3/8in high lettering. I thougt it looked classy. Not big like military style.

I asked a leader for the source..... didn't know, they were from an area with an Army base and someone had a local contact.

I know it's not "official BSA" but it looked nice, IMO, and very uniform.

I ordered an official magnetic one form the scout store. An "official pin on tag" came in. Mis ordered....., I have never worn it. Don't want to be stabbed.

Replaced with and Official magnetic one form teh scout store. Wore it to maybe 2 or 3 meetings..... and it is lost. I have no idea what I brushed against to knock it off.... but it was not money well spent.

And why do we need tags...... Nobady in our pack has historicly wore them, but I'm in a fairly large pack. There are always parents and even boys in the older dens that I don't know very well or at all..... and there are new families coming into the younger dens that I also don't know. Name tags are great I think for leaders, to help people learn your name.

Does anyone have an online source for such a thing?

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone found a source.

I want a sewn on fabric name strip to mimic the "official BSA plate"

Fleur De Li and name, white on black, letter geight approx 1/4in

and the strip approx 1/2in high

All the Military type strips seem to be 1inch high with big letters.

I did find one place that had the option for 3/8in letters, but they won't do the Fleur De Li.

Anyone know a ready source, perhaps online, besides going to the embroidery place in the mall?

• 3 weeks later...

I found a place online. they didn't have it as a stock offering, but I described what I wanted and they quoted a cheap price......tald me they'd have to use a generic fleur though, afraid of trademark issues....

well, I order a couple. they came in huge, the size of the military stuff. The fleur looks ok, well not really. Way to pointy so not really a close match. Very disappointed but at least I'm not out much money!

If I were in the market for a machine, I'd look into one with embroidery capability for just this reason.

I know there are places all over town that could do it. I just don't want to, or have time to, drive all over town. Just surprised that this isn't more of an interest for folks.

Oh, well..... guess I'll stick with my pin on one..... hasn't been too much of an issue so far.....