Does the uniform drive kids away?

Let me refine my dream uniform. It would only require the shirt, but it must function as a national field shirt. One color for cubs, one for boy scouts, one for venturers.

The shirt would have a common graphic on the back and breast pocket.

A unit could customize the shirt by having their location, council and unit number screened on it in a predefined location, but other alterations would be prohibited. It would be available in a variety of fabrics and cheap enough that a scout could own several.

No position badges, honors, awards allowed. A scout is a scout is a scout. Every scout is equal (uniform).

All other accessories would be optional and left to the units to decide what they want such as socks, pants, belts, hats, neckers.

The dress (formal) uniform, should a scout(er) decide to get one, would have rigid guidelines on proper placement of ornamentation, completion and accessories, enforced by the UP.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually we already have a dress uniform. it consists of black shoes, gray trousers/skirt,black belt, white shirt/blouse, blue blazer, universal insignia pocket nameplate (it is all in one and slips into the pocket of the coat)and the the BSA striped tie. An OA sash is authorized tobe worn with it, as well as Eagle, Venturing Silver, and the various neck awards. No patches though ;)

What I find funny is that the UK's uniform in the '90s consisted of a shirt and necker only for Cubs and Scouts. Venturers and leaders wore the same uniform and it included pants, belt, necker, etc. To be honest it looked odd to see scouts not wearing uniform trousers. But I come from a fully uniformed troop. Only one unit did,besides the Sea Scotus, and they all wore the same brown trousers. Now the Brits are going back to uniform trousers.

• 4 weeks later...

Well in my opinion, scouts are not going to really like wearing the uniform in public,and around girls, until the powers that be quit making them wear uniforms that look like they were designed by some Gay fashion designer.What ever happened to the normal green uniform,with the sidecap,and Boy Scouts of America over the pocket??Also having the normal looking rank badges,Pocketless sleeves,and boots?? These are trademark scouting gear, not the semi Gay garb of today. I saw uniforms go down hill when the issed that fruity red beret in the 70's.It has never started an upward climb since. I say let REAL scouters design the uniform,THEN we might make some headway in this arena.

Just when I think the red beret issue has gone away, they keep pulling it back in.

I thought the red beret was the coolest head gear ever put out by the BSA, it takes a certain panache, savoir faire and self confidence to wear one corectly, but leading, cutting edge fashion is not for the faint of heart.

I can tell you what is for the faint of heart, insulting people for their sexual orientation

*glaring at Kawidaphoenix, sorely tempted but biting my tongue, hard*

I never really liked the beret. It was already on its way out when I was a Scout because it was soooo 70's. I'm a little disappoined that the crushable hat didn't catch on better. Next to the campaign hat, this was the most practical headgear the BSA ever put out.

""I find your use of the word "gay" in such a derogatory fashion to be highly offensive.""

Durogatory use of a word that means happy and light hearted?

All other meanings spring from a subculture hijacking a word for their own use. Kinda funny to see the tables turned when the word is hijacked again.

Is it just me or are some members having a hard time the last few days remembering a Scout is "Friendly"?

Funny thing, the word friendly had a second meaning localy when I was growing up, high school youth culture can be like that.

in attempt to get this thread back on track let me say that i dont mind wearing ym uniform. i sorta like wearing it =] maybe i dont care because the only time i wear it im around other scouts. if you think the scout uniform is bad your crazy, have you seen what some boys wear these days ? Girl pants, skin tight shirt, "Kiss" Style leather belts and bracelets. so no i dont think the uniform looks bad, but ive never worn it alone im always with my troop or a whole camp/council or lodge of other boys.

Gee Nick when you say "Girl pants, skin tight shirt, "Kiss" Style leather belts and bracelets" all you have to do is add black eyeliner with a guy crying and you have a signature Emo band

related:

Why do you want to grow an Emo lawn?

Because then it will cut itself(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Well Nike, I was always taught, If the Shoe Fits.......

If You are Gay(I coulda used a multitude of other words for it that weren't near as nice as "Gay"), and offended, Then I hate that for you. Scouting has no place for the Gay culture-it goes against EVERYTHING Scouting is supposed to stand for.Gay tolerance should definitely NOT be taught to Youngsters that many times are not old enough to form an educated opinion of their own. REMEMBER-- Adult Scout leaders are Many times the only MALE adult figure these kids have in their lives.If That offends you-- Sorry about your luck. I HAD a friend in Scouting-- one of the best friends I ever had in my life, that came out of the closet after we parted ways for college-- And NOW he lays rotting in the grave-- a victim of AIDS.NEVER once did he act overtly to any of us, and I stayed loyal in our friendship until his death.never had an inkling he was gay until he was already dying. So I'm not a Gay basher in word, thought, or deed to any of the scouts under my care in my troop.By the same token, I don't promote touchy,feely sympathies for the Gay cause either.

I feel that many kids (from what I've heard them say) view the current uniform as "sissified"-- an accurate idea in my opinion. Everything now a days is "offensive" to someone. Some people make it their life's mission to be offended at least once daily. My point was that in the fashion world Gay designers are known for Garish, needlessly complicated, designs. Such is the uniform of scouting now to many of today's kids. Also the Pricing of gearing up a Scout, like many of the other things in Scouting is UNBELIEVABLE. Scouting is getting ready to price itself out of existance very shortly I'm afraid.(This message has been edited by Kawidaphoenix)

Sherminator--

No need to bite your tongue, say it man!! I am an adult, I can take it. Repression of thoughts induce ulcers......

I agree the crusher cap was a VERY good design, and the Campaign hat was the Opitome of cool.

Nick--

I've been in scouting since the 60's. I was a normal young man in every respect, and I KNOW that every guy I knew that was in Scouts got a little self concious when the Head Chearleader type girl came around while he was in uniform,and MANY felt like crawling inna hole-- a very natural reaction for pre and pubescent males when they think they are not at their coolest around the "Hot Chicks". Been there done that. Fess up now.

Kawidaphoenix 2 things. #1 the man was in the wrong, Gay is not a describing word its a slang term for ones sexual orientation. my shirt can not have sex nor does it have a sexual drive so its not gay. sissified maybe but gay i think not.

as for being embarrassed, well i wouldnt wear my shirt into town or anything like that but when we were traveling from Ohio to New Mexico for Philmont i wasnt ashamed to wear my uniform in the airports and bus and stuff. i take comfort in a crowd personally, so if im with my troop in a church while a youth group meeting is going on wiht kids in my school i dont mind, or if im with my OA lodge cleaning the highway it does not bother me, we all laugh at the people who yell out of their car.

it took me 15 years to learn this....but the fact is i wont become popular, i could care less if people pick on me or laugh at the things i do. i have a lot more fun in life now doing what i enjoy and not being embarrassed or hiding from it then i did years ago being someone im not...its cliche but its true. i take comfort in knowing im not the weirdest kid in the school lol. i think i have a larger "Scout Spirit" now than i did when i was younger. it always seems to grow too.