Wearing Eagle scout medal outside of scouting

Curious question that I hope I can get a proper opinion on.

I am a third generation eagle scout and my grandfather(42), my father(72) and myself(05) will all be attending a white tie-decorations event.

I am curious, would it be appropriate for the three of us eagle scouts to wear our medals (my father and I also received out God and country awards) on our jackets?

In general would it be appropriate to wear an eagle scout medal to an event that allows you to wear medals? (or is this a privilege reserved for military persons only)

I have never seen an eagle scout wear his medal outside of an eagle scout ceremony. I would love to know if there are eagle scouts that do wear their medals outside of scouting and what sort of events they are wearable to.

Be Prepared

According to the BSA Insignia Guide, adults can wear the Eagle medal only on formal Eagle occasions. This would mean that your white-tie event MUST be a BSA event.

For civilian wear (non-BSA white-tie event), BSA has the miniature sterling silver Eagle pin/tie tack.

In the U.S., the wearing of military medals on civilian clothes is specifically authorized by law (providing the wearer is entitled to them).

ScoutNut is correct, and while the wearing of BSA medals is governed by the insignia guide there is no penalty for violating it. I would be governed by my heart and majority vote of the three of you.

The BSA uniform police may disagree, but they can't arrest you or take your badges away. :)

While the wearing of military medals can be done (I believe the old social custom was "morning dress" and up), the rare times I've seen an American do it out of uniform are when he/she's a diplomat presenting themselves to a foreign government.

I would not wear a youth religious emblem under any circumstances.

Attending a "White Tie Decorations event"? What is the theme or reason for the event?

If it were for a Scouting event, I would say yes.

For other reasons, I would have to ask why. Is it to show off your "decorations"?

I think for a non-BSA or non-Scout themed function, I would stick to the lapel pin.

As for the Youth Religious award, no.

If you, Dad and Gramps want to all wear your Eagles, find a ECOH or even better, sponsor a table at your Council's Eagle recognition dinner.

I rarely see the Eagle medal outside of BSA functions. (adults CAN wear the Eagle medal at formal BSA events, like council banquets, etc).

Like others said, the Eagle lapel pin would be a better choice.

Hardcore,

Greetings!

I don't know about white-tie events. But regularly in the EagleLetter, there are fellow Eagle Scout family members and friends posing with the newest Eagle.

Not all, but some are usually in suit and tie, wearing their Eagle Medal.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

"I don't know about white-tie events. But regularly in the EagleLetter, there are fellow Eagle Scout family members and friends posing with the newest Eagle."

I would think those were done in the context of an ECOH.

I do see people who attend formal Boy Scout events in suit and tie and wear their Eagle medal and prehaps other medals. I think that's normal, and I think others here would probably agree.

But it sounds like he is speaking of a non-scouting, formal event. I would find it very strange if someone wore an Eagle medal at such events, and so this is why many of us recommended the lapel pin instead.

Yes. Concur with emb021, and I implied, these photos are normally during ECOH ceremonies.

But only commented to illustrate that some ECOH attendees have worn the Eagle Scout medal on their regular "shirt, tie and blazer".

Like emb021 stated, the Eagle pin, which resembles the Eagle medal device, and there is also a NESA lapel pin for civilian wear.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv