Vet recognition

This being Veterans' Day, I thought I might see how others feel about some type of simple adult uniform device to recognize those who have served in any capacity of the military. NOT a knot!! Perhaps a simple device worn along with the service stars; one type, or equal sized emblems symbolizing the particular branch. Just curious.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/11/our-pows-locked-6-years-he-unlocked-spirit-inside

This story is about George T. Coker, active Scouter, Eagle Scout, Distinguished Eagle Scout, who was awarded the Navy Cross, Silver Star and Purple Heart. I knew him for several years before I knew his story. These heroes walk among us every day. They don't consider themselves heroes...just doing their duty. My own father was a WWII Submarine veteran of the Pacific theater. I didn't realize the enormity of what those men did until I was well into adulthood. Half of them didn't come back from patrol. Dad was a hero in my eyes...but to him, he was just a scared 17 year old kid from the farm, who enlisted to serve his country.

Thank you for your service.

Veterans of any era have my complete respect, as both my father and father-in-law are vets as are uncles, aunts, cousins, and brothers-in-law. That being said, scouting is about scouting, not other outside service. All the recognition items (including knots) on the uniform relate to the scouting experience, either currently or as a youth. Anything else is inappropriate.

However, being veterans day, it is also a good month to invite a vet to your unit to talk to the boys about their service to their country. To most, that will be a bigger honor than any uniform emblem. Our unit will be visiting our local VA hospital next month, as we do annually.

Don't like the idea of a pin, except for military rank insignia I've not yet met a pin that stays on well.

While I wouldn't be against a Veterans patch (maybe a very small strip that only Veterans wore directly under the flag on the sleeve - possibly a different color for category - Currently Serving Veteran, Veteran, Retiree.

It really isn't necessary.

We have days to remember our fallen service members and to remember to consider the sacrifices made by our currently serving and those, made by our previously serving members of our Armed Forces. If we are actually incorporating those into our programs - or at least mentioning them, then as Scouters we are promoting the civic virtue of that kind of service without excess glorification.(Not that I personally have much of a problem with SOME glorification - but not to excess). :)