New Uniforms

Yah, I think da gradual information leak permits me to pass along a "more than rumor" that folks can expect a major uniform change in the not too distant future.

As many know, U.S. textile supplier difficulties and other issues have helped spur an internal "reflection" and re-think of the modern BSA uniform, beginning with the introduction of the Switchback pants and Thorlo socks (and with the gradual discontinuation of the old pants & socks as stocks are depleted).

I think it''s safe to say that a new uniform shirt will reflect the same move toward functional and modern outdoor-wear that the Switchbacks started. No more shoulder loops gettin'' in the way of backpacks, and a greatly reduced patch set - in keeping with the emphasis on functional outdoor wear rather than courtly decoration.

Right direction, IMO.

Beavah

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beavah, can you offer info on either of the following, because I was about to do some uniform shopping and would be irritated to find things had changed for the better shortly after I spent a bunch of money on the annoying "old" stuff.

1) What''s the time frame, roughly, for this shift?

2) Will the new switchbacks be changing again? Or are we just talking about the old Oscar shirts here?

Warning rumor zone

I had heard that there was a push to get new uniforms before the jamboree last year, but they ran into some challenges. (Probably internal politics). My sources are just some professionals that have heard things through their peers, nothing special. They do not know for sure. The rumor that has stuck around for a while is that the new uniform will be the switchback pants and the tan activity shirt (short or long sleeve). The rumor mill said that the debate is over the adornments (patches, pins, etc.).(This message has been edited by EagleInKY)

I heard from a very highly placed source that got the "official scoop" from his buddy who heard it from a guy named Joe, who oh by the way is selling some of the New BSA shirts secretly to those that know the password. Just go down to the corner where Joe stands in the long trench coat. When no one else is around, sidle up to Joe a nd go "psssst, BSA SHIRTS" and when asked give him the secret password.

The shirts are neat, kinda off pink in color.

Hurry though as, as Joe has a limited supply.

It is most probably a rumor started by a Chinese textile company who is making all the BSA patches now, lol. Seriously though a change is long overdue and welcome if it is for the better and not just a way to save money by dealing with third world manufacturers.

A very long time ago in a place very far from where I am now I worked at a hospital in a town that had three hospitals. The one I worked for was a pretty nice, there was another nice one and then there was the one in the more sordid, seamy side of time For 20 years there were rumors of the third hospitals demise. Every 8-10 months fresh rumor would surface over how and when the hospital would close.

Then one day on the radio it was announced the hospital would close in 30 days Their emloyees were stunned, they couldnt beleive it. I asked a few of them who I had gotten to know how could they be surprised when it was talked about all the time. They replied, because when you hear rumors all the time, you dont expect any of them to be true ,unfortunately, this one was.

I dont know if the uniform is slated to change, there has been all sort of speculation and one day it will be true, we just dont know when. I do sorta hope this time its true because once Nationa changes the uniform to a vibrant, hip, fashion forward modern ensemble, the youth will veritably jump into it and all our problems with recruiting and retention will be over

Just a few ramblings:

*Do away with the medals for adults; we never wear them

*Either make the square knots smaller or develop a pin-on backing so they can be used for formal wear

*Develop one uniform for everyone (yes, including Sea Scouts)

*Simplify the rest of the bling

Ed