Knots/positions/shirts matching

I am one of those Scouters who doesn't know what position I filling on what night. Actually I have two Shirts to wear for the various jobs and events I attend. I have a shirt with red tabs and assistant scoutmaster position patch. I also have shirt with blue tabs and webelos den leader position patch. I have earned Scoutmaster training award and Webelos den leader award, and just this year was awarded District Award of Merit. So do I wear Scoutmaster training knot on AS shirt only, or den leader shirt too? Same in reverse on Den leader award? Does this change if I become den leader for a different level den? And does my District Award go on both shirts?

I know the uniform police won't come rip the knots off my shirts, but I really don't want to look like I am trying to just collect a lot of knots. I do want to wear the ones I have earned, since it I spend so much time in a Scout uniform and am continuing to get more and more involved in district and council level activities.

Any embroidered knot may be worn on any Scouting shirt. If you're concerned about "uniform police", pay the $2 for the Insignia Guide.

One can avoid the program police, the outdoor activity police, the advancement police, the fundraising police and the youth protection police by paying the $2 for the respective books and reading them.

FScouter,

The $2 for the Insignia Guide.

Is now $4.99 and if you order it from Scout Stuff it costs $5.50 for ground Shipping. $15.50 for 2 day shipping and if you really are in a hurry you get have it shipped overnight for $20.50.

Ea.

I think the Insignia Guide is the only one of the "guides" I don't have. I don't mind investing in the literature that I need. I was trying to decide if I needed to buy extra knots to put on the different shirts, and don't have time to read the guide while I am in Scout shop. Their hours and my work hours and the two locations don't allow me to linger in the shop. I usually get their within minutes of closing, and I hate to make them stay late everytime I go.

No, I am not really afraid of the uniform police, but since I spend many hours a day with Marines, I tend to be aware of things like having a correct and appropriate uniform.

PS, thanks to whomever removed my duplicate post

Would it be possible for you to call ahead with your order and questions? Be a real time saver to have your order gathered and ready for you. I ran into this last week, just stepped into the shop and got a phone call telling me I needed to be somewhere shortly, what I forgot was minor and for me not the troop, always be a next time.

If I am the Tiger Den leader, earning my Tiger Den Leader knot, can I use this same year to count toward tenure for a Scout or Venture knot? I'm not double counting activities/requirements. With multiple boys, I find that I am potentially in a Pack position, Troop Postion, and Crew position all at the same time, and its not the same type of position. I once heard someone say that the total number of years you had knots for HAD BETTER (imagine a bitter, snarling threat) equal at least the total number of years you'd been in Scouting as an adult.

Just wondering,

Nike

With 2 boys I eventually needed 4 shirts. Ebay is great, never paid more than $15 for great shirts.

District Shirt - all knots but no other things other than my Bobwhite patrol patch.

Webelos Den Leader Shirt - only my arrow of light knot. I wear two patrol patches on this one. Bobwhite and Frogs (the den name).

Troop Shirt #1 - no knots and minimal decorations other than my Bobwhite patrol patch from WB. I wear this most of the time.

Troop Shirt #2 - all knots and all decorations like my Recruiter Strip. I use this for Honor Courts.

I found packs members intimadted by lots of knots and troops/crews comfortable with them.

My parish just awarded me a St. George medal for helping a bunch of kids earn God and Family.

"If I am the Tiger Den leader, earning my Tiger Den Leader knot, can I use this same year to count toward tenure for a Scout or Venture knot? I'm not double counting activities/requirements. With multiple boys, I find that I am potentially in a Pack position, Troop Postion, and Crew position all at the same time, and its not the same type of position."

FYI- its Venturing, not Venture.

If you are registered in multiple programs, yes, you can use the same chronological time for different awards. So if you are a Tige Den Leader AND a Venturing Associate Advisor, you can be working toward the TDL Knot AND the Scouting Training Award for Venturing at the same time.

Furthermore, if you are the KEY leader in Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts and Venturing, you can be earning the Training Award (2 years) as to work toward the Key (3 years). [may be off on the years]

"I once heard someone say that the total number of years you had knots for HAD BETTER (imagine a bitter, snarling threat) equal at least the total number of years you'd been in Scouting as an adult. "

Sorry, but he's wrong.

Sorry to reveal my ignorance Eamonn, but is a scout leader not allowed to wear his knots on the sea scout uniform? We have a sea scout skipper in my council who has 18 knots on his sea scout uniform.

• 3 weeks later...

emb021,

I have to disagree with you about joint tenure for awards, other than the Boy Scout Leader's Training Award and Scoutmaster's Key. The Tenure requirements for all the Cub Scout Awards state "Dates of service used to earn this award cannot be used to earn another key or award."

Some other awards have similar restrictions. The District Committee Scouter's Key states "Tenure for one award cannot be used for other training awards."

The Scouting Training Award for Venturing states:

"Complete a total of two years as a registered adult Venturing leader.

(Dates of service used to earn this award cannot be used to earn another key or award.)"

Your suggestion that one can earn the TDL Award and Venturing Scouting Training Award appears to be incorrect, by the regs. If another source contradicts the regs, I'm not aware of it.

Nike,

The question of whether you can double-count tenure was asked in a thread from December: http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=147833

Brent's position is correct - it doesn't appear to be allowed.

Eventually you'll have plenty of years of service and it won't matter. It's not a race.

I do understand how it feels to serve multiple units, and it pretty much feels like totally separate tenure. I might be inclined to be a 'uniform licensee' in this regard - I wouldn't be concerned if you wore them all. Your friendly snarling commentator had a possible compromise position - the total number of years represented by the knots should not exceed your service star.

Oak Tree