"No such thing as a Class A Uniform"

My older son returned from National Camping School last weekend. Last night, we were just sitting on the porch chatting about his week there and he said,

"Mom, did you know there is no such thing as a Class A Uniform in Boy Scouts?"

Then he said, "Don't they know that in our Council? All our summer camp information mentions the 'class A' uniform."

I just grinned and said, "So, what else did you learn at school?"

Thought posting this little story would be amusing for you folks.

:)

For some reason, I am reminded of the scene in "A Few Good Men" in which Lt. Kaffee (played by Tom Cruise) asks Corporal Barnes (played by Noah Wylie) how he knew the way to the mess hall if it was not explained in any official army manual, guidebook, or policy directive.

Our Council Professionals use the terms "Class A" and "Class B" uniforms in their own publications, including the Scout Camp Leaders and Program Guides.

Can you say "tempest in a teapot?" ;)

Per "National", there is no such thing as 'Class A' or 'Class B' uniforms. They prefer 'field uniform' and 'activity uniforms'.

The terms apparently came from the military.

However, most local people (councils, council camps, OA lodges) use them and most know what the terms mean.

(I was first introduced to the term when I attended the 1981 National Jamboree as a youth. I used and heard the use of the term since)

I do believe in spooks! I do believe in spooks! I do, I do, I do, I do! Believing in something makes it a reality to most.

Of course there is such a thing as a Class A uniform. The military uses that term for the "green" uniform (see Army regulation 670-1). Boy Scouts, having had some tie-ins with the military in the past, has seen that jargon slip into its lexicon. Recently, the BSA has done its best to distance its image from that of the military (and hunting) and does not officially use that term although yes, I've seen it as recently as on the 2005 Jambo website (official BSA web site).

I don't like the term Class A and use field uniform myself but when I've used "field uniform" without the explanation of what it consists of, some of the parents and boys make the determination that they have heard the term Class A (used much more frequently than Class B) so "field" must mean that "other uniform" (activity) and much confusion arises!

I think the BSA should not use either set of terms (Class A & B or Field and Activity) to describe their uniforms. Since the only difference is the shirt (something most forget), why not just state that the boys should be in uniform (almost always) and then state in either their tan (khaki) or other appropriate shirt?

Only one Boy Scout uniform? I beg to differ.

Although less formal, the activity uniform is still considered an official uniform of the BSA, Scouting Magazine May - June issue 2006.

Many other official publications of the BSA mention the activity uniform (for example The Scoutmaster Handbook).

I could very well be (I wish the BSA would make those publications available on-line) but mine is at home and I'm at work right now.

Kissed the pig at the Plaza lately John?

The 2005 Insignia Guide refers to the two types of uniforms a scout can wear as the "official" and the "activity" uniforms. I really think that the Current Insignia guide should be the end all be all answer for any questions on the uniform. Regardless of what our individual District's or Councils say. If you use the Insignia Guide to dress your self and a person questions what you have worn then you can simply show them where they are mistaking. On a personal note how many people out there are truly in the "official" uniform if they our there child wears blue Jeans as there Scout pants.

Thanks Bill Q,