Adult training and the uniform

Well, I was invited to join our training staff and did. Next week my topic is, tada!, the uniform. I have ten minutes - at least one of which I'm going to use suggesting that participants play nice. No matter how poorly a scout is wearing the uniform, there must be something on it that's right. Point that out.

Any ideas for how to use the other nine minutes? That might be different and/or entertaining? I could just do the obvious - nine minutes isn't that long. But I don't wanna...

Thanks,

Vicki

Is this for cub leaders or troop leaders or crew leaders? (or all?)

One thing I've seen that's kind of different/fun is to hand each group a bunch of patches and a felt board or uniform w/ lots of velcro on it and ask them to "place the patches" in a short amount of time. Of course include the major items but you might want to throw in something "different" too, that might reasonably end up on the uniforms of the kids in their unit (pack/troop/crew-dependent). Of course the easy way to do it is to bring in a model uniform and display it and refer to it while you talk about uniforming.

Let us know what you end up with.

Lisa'bob

Vicki,

This is just a suggestion. But I would be less concerned about teaching adults the details of proper patch and insignia placement than teaching them ways to promote uniform wear among their units. At any large gathering of scouts in my area, or that I've seen in the Northeast, a significant percentage of scouts and scouters are either not wearing a uniform, or wearing only a uniform shirt(with non-BSA pants, frequently bluejeans). I don't bother to notice if a rank patch is not centered on a pocket or if a position of responsiblity patch is in the wrong place.

Have a brainstorming session on how to motivate scouts to wear a full and complete uniform because they WANT to, not because a curmudgeon of a scoutmaster or advancement chairperson won't sign them off for scout spirit for their next advancement.

If you come up with any really good ideas, get back to us. Because beyond wearing my own full and complete uniform as an example, I'm having mixed results with the unit I serve.

SA

SA, we're on the same wavelength. You can get an insignia guide anywhere. Ideas for who to move them to want to where the uniform and be proud of it are a whole 'nother thing.

Lisabob, it is for all leaders.

V

Might I suggest that you get a copy of the training manual and see what it is you're supposed to be teaching? As I recall, everything is pretty well scripted, and there is an exercise where the students are asked to properly place insignia on a paper shirt.

Vicki,

As Scoutldr said, I'd touch base with the sylabbus. BUT ... since you will be reaching all levels of leaders, there are substantial differences in uniforms from level to level. There are also differences from Council to Council (my Council encourages adults and youth wearing District patches).

I'd keep it relatively simple and not play "stump the chump" unless folks show they already have the concept grasped. I'd also bring in a picture of a Venturer in work clothes on a service project and ask: "Is he/she ok?", knowing full well uniform is not a method of Venturing, and selection of clothes is a Crew decision :)

Vicki,

The Uniform is one of the subjects that I handle at BLT too and one of the things that I spend part of the time doing is giving them alternative ideas or suggestions of how they or the parents can provide boys with free or low cost uniforms, such as having a troop uniform closet or finding them at yard sales or even on ebay. So many times parents and boys use the "high expense" of uniforms as an excuse as to why they don't wear them so this gives the leaders more ideas of how to address those concerns.

As our patrol project for Wood Badge we also researched the history of Uniforms in all the areas of Scouting and I have our project board and I take it with me for an exhibit to use too. It's really a pretty neat exhibit..we made the background of each section look like an official uniform and then collected pictures of various styles that were used over the years and pasted them on top with raised "bullet" explanations.

Sue M.

Thanks, Sue. As I was reviewing the material the other day I realized that the shirt I was wearing I got from e-bay. Made myself a note to remember that. Our troop does a uniform closet but no real effort has been put into it. It's good for a shirt every once in a while (but then our troop only emphasizes the shirt).

I like the history idea! Something I could set up and they could browse during the break if they wanted to. If you get a chance, I'd like a little bit more explanation of your display - a pm will be heading your way shortly.

Vicki

As you say explaining what the uniform is will only take a matter of minutes.

Explaining the Uniform Method is the hard part.

As a Trainer you have to set aside all your views and any tweaks and cover the what the BSA has to offer.

Uniform can be a very hot topic,some people have very strong views and without a good presentation things can get out of hand.

(Why am I thinking about the Monty Python Argument sketch?)

It is worth remembering that what you say could impact a lot of people for a very long time.

The participants are going to take what you say home with them and use it for a very long time.

I've lost count of the times that people have said "So and So said at Training that we can...."

Stick to the syllabus.

You can look at what the Uniform Goal really is and how to get there.

This could cover where to find uniforms.

How to pay for uniforms. (I'm always amazed that units raise money to send Scouts to camp, but don't raise money to help pay for uniforms!)

Why uniforming is important.

Eamonn.

Let me say a couple of things (ok, several things) for the record: 1) I believe the uniform as one of the eight methods is important in terms of identifying the scout as a scout; 2) I believe the uniform can be a way of instilling pride in membership if worn correctly; 3) I believe that as a trainer I am responsible for imparting the "BSA Way" irrespective of my own opinions; 4) I believe that as a trainer I have a responsibility to make it interesting; 5) I believe that most scouters (at least in my district) already know how the uniform is supposed to be worn so to take up my very limited time explaining that is not a good use of energy.

That said, thanks for the input! Great resources, as usual, for those who don't get defensive about getting advice once they've asked for it: