Jamboree patches - on or off?

My JSP isn't going anywhere-- the region patch i do need to remove, but the Jamboree patch above the right pocket and the JSP on my left sleeve isn't going anywhere.

So send them after me.

Before putting the JSP on, I had an old CSP so it isn't like they go out of date, or anything.

See the way he walks down the street

Watch the way he shuffles his feet

How he holds his head up high

When he goes walking by -

He's my guy

When he holds my hand I'm so proud

'Cos he's not just one of the crowd

I bet he's always the one

To try the things I've never done

And just because of that they will say - Hey!

He's a rebel and he'll never ever be - any good

He's a rebel 'cos he never ever does - what he should

And just because he doesn't do what - everybody else does

That's no reason why I can't give him all my love

He is always good to me - always treats me tenderly

He's not a rebel, no - no - no

He's not a rebel, no - no - no - to me - e - e - e

If they don't like him that way

They won't like me after today

I'll be standing right by his side - when they say

He's a rebel and he'll never ever be - any good

He's a rebel 'cos he never ever does - what he should

And just because he doesn't do what - everybody else does

That's no reason why - we can't share a love

He is always good to me - always treats me tenderly

He's not a rebel, no - no - no

He's not a rebel, no - no - no - to me - e - e - e

(he's not a rebel - no - no - no)

No - no - no

No - no - no

Being a Assistant Jr Deputy of the UP here's my take on the spin.

Jambo patch above the pocket - can be worn forever

CSP - It's an official csp from the council, wear it. I wear a 2003 council fos csp on my uniform.

OA flap - same as csp.

Unit number - change to your local unit.

I don't have a uniform guide handy so I can't give an official ruling

Jamboree patch can be worn in the Jamboree patch position above the right pocket forever. Technically the Jamboree CSP and OA lodge flap are suppossed to come off after 6 months, but my Council Exec told me after the 2001 Jambo he didn't care, I could still wear them if I desired. So yes, The CSP and OA lodge flap should come off, but ask your local Council Exec, it might be okay with them too.

During National Jamboree years, special Jamboree Shoulder Patches (JSPs) are worn by those participating in the Jamboree from that local Council. Six months after the conclusion of the Jamboree, the JSP should be removed and replaced by the current Council Shoulder Patch (CSP) of the local Council for proper uniforming.

The problem in my council is that they are forever creating new "special" CSPs (Wood Badge, FOS, Jamboree, Special for those contributing mega bucks, and on and on). Therefore, no "regular" CSP exists in my mind. So, technically, maybe one should not wear the JSP but practically (and in reality) many do.

Jamboree Patch - May be worn for an eternity but only one! (No combos of World and National or National 2001 and 2005, etc.)

As for the OA flap - A "current" OA flap of the lodge to which you are member (paid up dues!) may be worn on the right packet flap. If you are non-active arrowmen, you may wear the OA ribbon. Just like the CSP vs. JSP, my lodge keeps changing the OA flap as a fund raiser so what is "current" or standard is anyones guess.

The region patch - some even argued if it belongs on the Jambo uniform - comes off rather quickly I think. Same goes for troop number.

Also - please remember that the Scout Executive has carte blanche (almost) to make "special" uniform decisions. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

• 4 weeks later...

"I attended the 81' Jambo and still wear my patch. I wear it for ME as it reminds me of one of the best expierences in my life."

fine. do so. I still wear that patch as well. The issue of removing "jamboree patches" does NOT apply to the Jamboree patch itself. It refers to the OTHER jamboree patches, such as the JSP, Jambo lodge flap, Jambo troop numbers, and other patches relating to your jamboree troop (ie the office you held and patrol you were in).

* Jamboree Patch. Wear it forever. No one should be hassing anyone who attended an old jamboree for wearing the patch.

* JSP. Gray area. Per the rules you are supposed to remove the JSP and replace it with your current CSP. Most don't, and most people won't bug you about it.

* Jamboree Region patch. Gray area. Few are really entitled to wear them either at the jamboree(ie those volunteering at the regional level at jamboree) or afterwards. Kids (and adults) who picked them up as souvenirs really shouldn't be wearing them. But again, what's the big issue.

* Jamboree Lodge flaps. Gray area. Many lodges have a rule that you are supposed to be wearing only the current lodge flap. Others don't care. In some lodges, you'll see about 5-10 different flaps being worn. If the lodge leadership doesn't have an issue, why should you. (personally, I use velcro and only wear the current issue).

* Jamboree Troop number. Sorry, but that troop no longer exists. You should have removed it and replaced it with your current unit number. Heck, I did that within a week of returning.

* Jamboree patrol patch. Ditto. I did that within a week of returning. Then again, as SPL of my troop, I had no desire to be wearing a patrol patch on my uniform.

* Jamboree Troop-related office patch. Ditto.

I can understand unit leaders wanting their kids to have the correct unit numbers, patrol patches, and office patches. They shouldn't be worrying about the JSPs and Lodge flaps. And no one should think that you have to take a Jamboree Patch off.

• Like 1