Big neck--Little neckerchief

I have a Den Leader neckerchief that I bought last year at Pow-Wow. The problem is by the time I roll it and put on the neckerchief slide, the tips of the neckerchief sits on my top button. Do neckerchief come in different sizes? Since this was a used neckerchief, could it have shrunk?

An age-old problem with the thick-neck crowd. Technically, there's only one size of neckerchiefs. The uniform police will cite you if you are caught with an oversized one.

But seriously, my neck is not all that big and I have issues with it, so I can only imagine the problem it causes for others. That's probably why you see so many scoutmasters going without one.

Big-neck-Little neckerchief - why does Chris Farley come to mind?

I don't think the uniform police care about the size of the neckerchief. Mine is bigger than the boys (my neckerchief that is :-)

They do come in varying sizes (again, neckerchiefs!). What should be "standard" is that approx. 6 inches should be hanging down (neckerchiefs again!!) in the back regardless of size.

I think there is a chance that neckerchiefs shrank in size sometime over the years. I remember being able to do all that great first aid stuff with my old scout neckerchief but not with the new ones. I agree about the size. Our troop had bigger ones custom made, partly because of that and partly because we wanted our custom design on it. Slap the 'cuffs on me if you want to...

Neckerchiefs are the one thing that can be custom to a troop to set it apart from the rest of the crowd. There is no "standard". Our troop has two sizes of neckers, one for the boys and one for the adults. I am so hot natured, that I prefer not to wear them at all. When I participated in the forced death march (3 miles one way from our subcamp to the arena) at Jamboree, it didn't take long before I had my uniform shirt and neckerchief stripped off.

I do wear a bolo tie for most meetings. I have started creating my own neckerchief slides, and one way to show off these is wearing a neckerchief. Also as a former NCO in the Army, I always remember that we need to lead by example. The boys will be more willing to wear there neckerchief if there leader sets the example.

The neckerchief standard may be found in the Insignia Guide under the "Neckerchief" section. Custom sizes are not authorized. Custom designs should be approved by the local council. Of course we are "on my honor" to abide by the standards.

FScouter, what exactly does the Insignia Guide say about neckerchief size? Does it specify a size? Since the neckerchief is optional to the troop, if it is simply silent about size I would not agree that custom sizes are not "authorized." The insignia inspection sheet--which is online--says nothing about size.

It should be obvious to anyone with eyes that the standard size neckerchief can look pretty bad on a large man. It looks dinky, like he is wearing a child's garment. Since we different sizes of socks, shirts, hats, pants, and even merit badge sashes, it seems nonsensical not to have different sizes of neckerchiefs.