Long sleeve undergarments?

Here in Texas, I don't think I've ever seen a long-sleeve uniform shirt! I'm not even sure they sell them in the scout shop.

We are thrifty. When the weather is a mite cool, we wear a long sleeve layer under the shirt; when the weather is more agressive, we wear an outerlayer.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FScouter, I wish I could send my son to your house to mow your grass. My son wanted uniform pants, so he asked for additional chores around the house to pay for them. Now, he wants a hat. I told him he would have to come up for the money. He will come up with the money sooner or later. He has already decided that he wants to mow yards next summer.

Here in the bluegrass state, there are about 4 months of the year that you may want that extra layer. Of course, you probably only need it half of the time during those months. SO, when I need it, I wear one of two fleece liners - one is red and the other dark green. They both blend nicely with the uniform and look neat. I encourage the boys to go this route as well, instead of covering it up with some ragged sweatshirt.

"In my mind, a long-sleeved shirt in cold weather is necessary."

But why is a long-sleeved Scout shirt necessary, when a warm turtleneck can be worn under the short-sleeved shirt? Why do you consider this a compromise rather than just being thrifty?

This is not the same issue as people who don't wear the pants. The short-sleeved shirt is part of a complete field uniform.

Hi Y'all,

I have never really liked the short sleeve shirts...the long sleeve shirt is more practical and more thrifty. I guess part of it is we do so darn much INDOORS rather than OUT-DOORS and it's a comfort thing...for most folks.

From my experience the long sleeves can be neatly rolled up for warm weather wear and when out-side in the sun, if sunburn is "coming on" (pinkish arms), the sleeves are rolled down...instant sunblock and absolutely no more sun damage to the arms! (something you can't do with short sleeves.) That said...I have a red, mock turtle neck, long sleeve shirt/thin sweater that looks great under my short sleeve shirt, I also have an olive drap "insulated" long sleeve under shirt that looks pretty sharp with the s-s-shirt, in fact a white Long sleeve thermal shirt looks darn nice!...what was the question?

oh yes, until you see the uniform police don't worry about it...if you are in a more formal setting, say a flag ceremony

you might just pass the word to roll up the undershirt sleeves or "put it on afterwards" if you really think it matters...

anarchist

OGE, we all know yer jes' funnin' us ...

But there is some merit in the idea (excuse the pun). Venture units already choose their own uniform. This concept COULD be extended to troops. Under this approach, troops could choose their own outdoor clothing - nylon zip-off pants, whatever - as long as the entire unit had the same ("uniform") gear. This would be a true field uniform and would be purely functional, not all badged up. For INDOOR activities and ceremonies, members would wear the sash with all the patches and badges.

True, for camporees and jamborees, each unit - while internally 'uniform' - would appear different from other units. Sort of like sports teams in different gear, but you know they are all players. I think this fits nicely with the franchise model of unit ownership. Most importantly, the aims and ideals would not be changed at all. Only the 'uniforming method' would be (dare I say?) tweaked.

Of course this idea would never fly because the Uniform Police would have nothing to do and the patch collecting lobby would have nothing to trade. ;)

I own both long and short sleeved uniform shirts.

But maybe it's just an English thing when we get cold we don't put on extra underwear!! We go for a pullover, sweater or even a sweat shirt.

I sure as heck don't wear long underwear under my Scout Shorts.

Eamonn.

Maybe I am missing something, but why can't the scout just wear a coat over the shirt to and from the meeting since its cold outside. Take the coat of at the meeting, since its warm inside. That way he would not have to worry about wearing anything under his uniform.