Order of the Arrow Sashes

I was a boyscout from 1974 to 1980. I was a Brotherhood member of the Order of the Arrow. What I remember is that the white sash was only worn across the shoulder when a OA event was taking place, tap out, election or conclave. When formal dress events like awards cerimonies, the sash was looped on the belt, arrow pointing up. I am now in Cub Scouts, and I have seen scouts wearing there sashes on their shoulder for formal events that are non-OA events. Has the policy changed?? Since I have been out of the OA for 25 years, I did not know if I could gain access to the OA side of the forun.

Secound question is how do a prove my credentials that I was OA. Does my old council keep records that old? Would my picture at my Eagle Presentation be proof enough?

I am thinking of re-activating my OA membership. Miss all the camping and right now finishing up with a Cub Scout wolf den. Pack camps 1-2 times a year. If re-activate, then can camp 3-4 times a year with Lodge and help get camps ready for my son's day camp. I had lot of fun on the ceremonies team as a youth.

The other time to wear OA Sash is during an event the the Lodge is taking an active roll in. Say there is an camporee and camp or place of the event needs traffic control for entering/parking etc and the Lodge volunteers to handle this. A scout troop may be in charge of the event, but the Lodge is running the parking portion.

When sashs are not need to be worn enroute to event most peole loop over belt keep out of the way and cleaner. Miss the pants with large pockets on the thighs. They were perfect size for OA Sash or beret hats.

Brian:

Current uniform guidance tells us to wear either the MB sash or the OA sash, over the right shoulder. Not both together, and neither should be hung from the belt.

Check with your local lodge on registration after an inactive period. I'm sure it's as simple as madkins007 suggests...

KS

I am told by the youth officers of my Lodge that National Committee on OA removed the "looping sashes on the belt loop" sometime between 1977 and 2000.

Of course, they also came up with the mini-sashes where we all used to have our Universal Arrows....

Oh, well. It's the current crop of young men who get to run the Order; the rest of us support them ;)

Of course, they also came up with the mini-sashes where we all used to have our Universal Arrows....

Used to? I still wear mine, the same one I received in the early 70s. You can still buy them, they are in the catalog.

SWScouter

I must have a defective catalog...

OA sashes are to be worn only at OA functions. Never at a Court of Honor, Board of Review, or troop meeting. Nothing is authorized to be worn ON the OA sash. Sashes of any kind are never worn on the belt.

As far as I know, the "mini-sash" is not an official uniform item.

Scoutldr, by "universal arrow" I figured John-in-KC

meant the pocket device. In the 2005 catalog, it is on page "Order of the Arrow 1" below the OA Laser Picture frame and sells for $3.60. In the Insignia Guide, it is called the, "Order of the Arrow membership emblem" and in the OA Handbook it is called the "Universal Arrow Ribbon."

Also, there are two exceptions to nothing being authorized to be worn on the OA sash. The exceptions are the 50th or 60th anniversary awards by those who earned them. They are to be warn on the shoulder portion of the sash above the bar at the point of the arrow.

SWScouter

In older editions of the OA Handbook, it says they can be worn during Courts of Honor. Though I believe that the current book says "Special Scouting Funcitions". I DO see Courts of Honor as a Special Scouting Function (a good way to recognize those who are at a certain level in the OA).

The mini-sash, as far as I know, isn't an official uniform piece. Also as far as I know, the BSA has NOT condemned it either. I see this as an instant recognition during events when it is not declared as an OA event.

SW, sorry for the miscommunication. I thought you meant that the mini-sashes were in the catalog. I assume by "mini-sash", they are referring to the small white cloth strips that are a miniature of the OA sash, with a button hole in one end. Those are available on eBay, and are not in the official BSA catalog and are not uniform items, unless worn on the right pocket as a temporary patch, I guess. The "universal arrow", which is also called the "pocket rocket" around here, is a small sterling silver arrow suspended from the right pocket button on a red and white ribbon. It signifies successful completion of the Ordeal, whereas the lodge flap is worn only by members-in-good-standing of their local lodge.

You are, of course, correct about the anniversary awards. Sorry for the oversight.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

Hmmm, interesting.

My Council has a BSA Supply Division Scout Shop. Try to find a non-BSA catalog item in it ... I dare you.

It sells the mini-sashes, and when I last saw them break a new supply out, it came from a Supply Division box.

I'm too old to change. The Universal Arrow for me, thanks.

John

• 1 month later...

I agree with the comments about wearing of sashes. OA functions or activities only. Never over belt. Never worn with merit badge sash.

Regarding re-affiliation, your lodge should have a form for that. I am not aware of a national form. It helps if you have old membership cards, but I was never asked for one. They will want to know the dates of your ordeal, brotherhood, and vigil, as appropriate. I was only able to put down the years and that was OK. They do cut some slack for we older geezers.

• 2 years later...

Mostly good info here, with one or two exceptions. An OA sash is appropriate at a Court of Honor, if worn by someone presenting an award or recognition from the OA. As Chapter Adviser, I've attended many C O H, and when a youth has earned recognition, someone from the Chapter or Lodge will present it. Have the Universal Arrow Ribbon, and the Vigil Honor pin, both authorized for those who qualify. It is NOT for use in signifying completion of an Induction weekend, it is for current membership in the OA, same as a pocket flap. "Silver arrow suspended from red and white ribbon signifies national membership. Worn on the right pocket button. 2 1/4". Sashes are only to have authorized patches on them ie the anniversary patch, and no sash of any kind belongs on a belt.