New Uniform Ideas

I find the old style pants to be very comfortable. They don't have the cargo style patch pockets, but rather have slash pockets like a pair of suit pants. No elastic in the waist either. You can still get them from the supply division on a closeout basis for $25. The phone number is (800)323-0732, or look in the catalog; they're listed on the closeout pages.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, if you are a BOB (big ol' boy) like me, you don't get an option on different materials for uniforms. They only come in the 65/35 blend.

I have a feeling that the price of uniforms is driven more by the decision to buy American. I can appreciate the desire to do that, in fact I support it. But, yes a better quality for a lesser price could be had if they were made outside the US. Cabela's has a sharp looking pair of trail hiking pants in a heavy fabric with functional cargo pockets, a knife pocket, a D ring, double knees and a roomy fit for around $29. Everytime I look at them in the catalog I wish they were the BSA's official pants. They even come in olive. The only thing that is missing on the pants is zippered legs so you can turn them into shorts.

Perhaps! The standout fact here is that Little League gives the boys the uniform and expects that it will be worn. Maybe if the troop or pack gave the new leader his/her first uniform in a meaningful and educational ceremony it would be worn. Same for the kids, maybe?

Dont ask about funding, this is a philosophical debate.

BTW, if you are a BOB (big ol' boy) like me, you don't get an option on different materials for uniforms. They only come in the 65/35 blend.

You can have any uniform item custom made but I'm told that you have to buy two of them.

The standout fact here is that Little League gives the boys the uniform and expects that it will be worn.

They really don't "give" the uniform, it is included in the cost. I run across parents buying those absurdly priced shorts and when I comment, I'm told that they are "required" by the troop. Maybe we give too many parents too many options.

I have run across troops in poor areas where the boys are given a complete uniform by the troop, which usually means that the CO donated it. As they outgrow it, they are given another uniform and turn in the old one for the next generation. I see 100% uniform compliance in these troops. I also never see a wrinkled shirt.

While we're at it, let's work on getting the parents to buy uniforms that fit. $25 or $30 every couple years isn't that big of a deal for most families that I know but I see moms buying a shirt big enough for the kid to wear through high school. I'm always told it is so they don't have to resew all the patches. That's insane.

I guess I see it a little differently. to me buying a slightly larger uniform for a growing child is "being prepared".

Where did I say, "slightly bigger"? Slightly bigger is how parents have always bought clothes. I'm talking about a kid who would fit a youth small wearing an adult medium. As I said, fitting a a shirt to fit for two years is good enough. You don't need to buy one to fit into adulthood. We have one small boy whose sash dangles to his knees.

It's unfortunate that kids come in so many sizes and sashes only come in 2. :)

My son was like that. His sash almost hit his knees when he got it at 12, now at 15 it fits just fine. It was a little big at first but he only had a few occasions a year to wear it to.

Besides he was so proud of the merit badges at the top, he didn't seem to worry at all about the bottom.

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Since I was the one who brought up "Little League", let me clarify something. I was using the term generically to indicate my son was playing ball as a child, not in junior or senior high school. Our ballpark was owned and run by the Optimist organization and we were part of the USSSA league. There were no uniform requirements in the league that I recall. Each team had their own policies and created their own uniforms. Our team opted for all of the different parts I mentioned before to give us several options to wear and to keep moms from having to constantly wash a single uniform when we might play 3 league games in a week and have a tournament on the weekend. Our coach was an old ball player who had been drafted by a MLB team out of college and he was almost military about wearing the full uniform correctly. His expectations about pride in their team and wearing the uniform as a symbol became contageous with the boys and parents alike. The two hats, jersey, vest, two tee shirts, two pair of pants, belt and socks ran about $150 on top of league fees and equipment such as atheletic cups, personal bat, mitt, batting glove, batting helmet and cleats. If you switched teams the next season, you started all over with a new uniform. Some teams opted for a single uniform and cut their costs. But it was all paid by the parents, no uniforms were given to the players. This was between the age of 5 and 8 I'm talking about where the boys took such great pride in their uniform and wouldn't be caught dead without it or wearing it wrong. It was expected and the pride came with the expectation and requirement.

I'm about to have a little fun explaining tailoring terms, but Fat Old Guy is essentially correct. In the future, can I call Fat Old Guy "FOG?" Kind of like OGE.

Anyhwo, FOG is correct in that if BSA uniforms (whichever fabric content) do not fit you because of your unusual shape, you can get "Made to Measure" uniforms.

There is a difference between made to measure and custom made. For the made to measure uniform, you send in your measurements (there's chart available) and the manufacturer makes the uniform to fit your measurements. If you don't like the cut of the fabric (the pattern or design) you're out of luck. If you tell the manufacturer in this scenario that you have a 14" neck, 49" chest, 65" waist and 32" inseam, that's what you're going to get -- if your head doesn't pop off and your short body doesn't melt to the floor first :)

And you'll get at least two of them, because that's the minimum order for made to measure.

If the uniform were to be custom made for you, the maker would need to borrow your body (meaning you would have to show up) at each step of the sewing process so he could "tailor" each piece to your body. Your uniform will fit perfectly, but it's not an option. It will also cost you at least three house payments.

DS

My son was like that. His sash almost hit his knees when he got it at 12,

Wouldn't it have been far better to either alter his sash or buy the smaller one? What do they run, $5 or $8? I know, everyone will cry, "I'll have to sew the patches twice!"

It was a gift from his troop. I believe the words used when they presented them to the boys was something like "as the boys grow in scouting so will they grow into these sahes". It has been fun to see him fill his sash both inside and outside. He wouldn't have traded that moment for a smaller sash.

Bob White

So FOG whats your point? That your flare for fashion is more important than a boy's positive memories about a moment in scouting?

Symbolism is not an excuse for looking bad in a uniform.

Isn't looking "bad" rather sujective?

I only recall ever seeing one scout swimming in a scout uniform. It was in a painting by Norman Rockwell, I thought it he looked pretty proud.

Wouldn't you rather see a scout in a uniform that doesn't fit yet, rather than a adult leader who doesn't wear the uniform?

Bob White

Bob, Bob, Bob, you're mixed up. Just like you wanted to mix first aid into a discussion about uniforms, you're trying to mix youth wearing uniforms with adults not wearing uniforms.

That your flare for fashion is more important than a boy's positive memories about a moment in scouting?

Huh? Why can't a boy have positive memories and look good at the same time.

Isn't looking "bad" rather sujective?

So is looking good, what is clean, what is dirty, etc..

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to hear some comments from some boys about what they think about the uniform. The basis of Scouting is boy-led; has anyone ever asked the boys what they wanted in a uniform? My son is 13 and he dislikes the shorts because they are uncomfortable, and 'too short'. He hates the look and feel of the knee socks, which our troop requires for certain events. He has no complaints about the shirt, but I have a problem with him having to wear this so much at camp - one year after he just got his new tan Webelos shirt, he came home with a big grape juice stain - there went close to $40!

I know there is no such thing as a 'class B' uniform, but our troop has T-shirts for $7 that they call 'class-B'. And yes, the boys wear these with jeans. They wear these at camp, on outings, and to troop meetings. I know this is not what BSA wants but the boys have made the decision that this is OK. They are identifiable as a group because they have the same shirt, they are comfortable, and if the t-shirt gets ripped or stained, it's cheaper to replace. The 'class A' uniforms are worn for flag ceremonies, Court of Honors, and other special events, and thus stay in decent shape and are more likley to be passed down when outgrown.