At this time, my troop uses the standard BSA ballcap. When everyone wears it, it looks sharp. However, most of the kids don't like it and don't wear it. I've thought about proposing the idea to our PLC, but most of the troop hats I've seen around didn't really seem to go with the uniform. What has been other troop's experiences? I wouldn't mind a troop hat, but I'd like the uniform parts to match each other.

Most of the troops in our District if not the Council either have their own troop hat or dont wear one. Ours is navy blue with a troop logo, town name and numerals on the front. Course the worst part of doing troop hats is getting the design approved by the parents committee.

Yep, you better run it past that parents committee..hehehe.

I think the new "low-profile" baseball caps look good and look comfortable. The problem I see with my son's troop is that the boys try to get away with wearing any hat they want. Even though they have been told and told and KNOW they will get caught and told again.

My troop wears a troop hat that is low profile, dark green with our logo on the front. We also wear a troop neckerchief which is dark green with yellow piping and the troop logo silk screened in yellow. Each scout and adult also have a green nametag with the troop logo and their name on it.

Looks good at summer camp, camporees, court of honors. Parents like it alot.

With as much concern as we exhibit over the safety of the kids and protecting them from loons, I'm surprised that anyone would have the boys wear a name tag. BSA frowns on web sites or newspaper photos where the boys are identified.

Why give the whackos of the world the opportunity to learn a scouts name?

My troop has about 80 boys and I know about 75% of them by name after only a month.

What a sad commentary on our day and age that we feel a need to restrict access to even the names of our children.

But it's absolutely true. Just yesterday I was preparing a short biography of myself for consideration by my local school board, which was appointing a new member. When I first typed it, I put in the names and ages of my children and what schools they had attended. The document also had my name, address and telephone number. Then I thought, oops, I know the people who I intend to see this paper and have no concerns about them, and some of them know my childrens' names anyway, but what if the media gets ahold of my bio? Or some citizen who I don't know? Or the custodian at the board meeting room? Or a board member throws the bio in the trash somewhere after the meeting, and Lord knows who could end up seeing it. Paranoid though it might be, I don't want such specific information about my children floating out in public any more than it already is, especially when I am embarking on a public position that has a tendency to generate some controversy. I decided to leave in the number of my children and where they are in school, but delete their names. Of course, the hypothetical evil-doer would still know the address of my house and the fact that some kids live there, but anyone who drove by my house would also know that when they see one or more children outside, and even if they are inside, the basketball hoop is a pretty good clue. I guess it is the combination of the full name and exact location that makes it too uncomfortable.

(I did get appointed, by the way.)

My troop didn't want to wear the "dorky" BSA hats, either. Too high on the head, snap back, no curved bill, etc. I couldn't let them wear sports/FUBU caps in uniform, so I told the PLC to design a hat they WOULD wear, and that will be the troop hat. They did, it's "cool", and as a measure of it's acceptability, I've seen Scouts in the troop wearing the hat when not in uniform and out in public. One of the best things we ever did!

Any of you interested in a custom design, troop cap, for $10 each (if you order 50 or more), let me know and I can get them for you. We'll work out the particulars separately.

KS

• 2 weeks later...