two boards in one night - same kid????

Can a scout have two boards of review in one night? Our troop has an older Tenderfoot boy who will be completing second and first class requirementments this week. He is asking if he can have two Scoutmaster Conferences on the same night - one for Second Class and one for First Class. Then he would like to have two Boards of Review on the same night - one for Second Class and one for First Class. Is this allowed? (This boy is 16 and has now decided that he would like to be an eagle scout. He is a great kid who has held many positions of responsibility. Our SM and Advancement Chair say he has to separate the SMCs and BORs and in our troop that could mean waiting more than a month and since he is 16+ that could prevent him from being eagle. While this kid is responsible for not getting to second and first class sooner we've had some troop problems and his parents were in a divorce and he has finally found his identity.} So can he do second and first class SMconferences in one night and both second and first class BORs in one night?

Absolutely for the lower ranks that have not time required POR's and such..

Some Troops just do one BOR for both ranks, but ours did two seprated BOR's on the same night.. Each concentrating on questions asked of each rank.. Of course the 2nd one went faster, doubt he will have little to add to "What improvements would you suggest for the troop?" Or "What was your favorite troop event?" within the span of 15 minutes.

Definitely! Especially for the younger scouts at the end of summer camp, they can often earn T and 2 during the week. We will normally have one SM conference and one BOR for both, though they both will be a little longer than usual.

Dale

From what I was told from way back in the day, specifically July 1990 about a year after they removed the T-2-1 time requirements,

ONLY ONE BOR IS NEEDED TO COVER BOTH RANKS! (caps for emphasis)

So NO, two BORS do not need to be held the same nite, one covering both will surfice. ;)

Long story short, we had a scout going for 3 in one nite, Tenderfoot, Second Class and First Class. While this wasn't our first BOR since the time requirements were removed, it was the first time we had a Scout going for multiple. To make sure we did everything by the book, we had 3 separate BORs for him. Had him come in for Tenderfoot, and then had him wait until after the next BOR for 2nd. Then we had him wait after 2nd for the 1st.

Next RT the SM asked about what to do and was told that yes, only 1 BOR was needed.

Bad news was that Scouts could no longer sit on BORs. That was my last nite sitting on BORs until I became an adult.

Hiya Cheerful!

Yah, nothing wrong with a double BOR in one night for T-2-1, eh? It's actually fairly common, and happens for example if swimming was the last requirement, so the lad has everything done except the 2nd Class and 1st Class swim requirements.

These are the sort of things that a smart unit will cheer on rather than get in the way of. A boy is pullin' it together and achieving. Besides, if it weren't for the last minute most of us would never get anything done, eh? ;)

I reckon the lad can ask the SM for a conference before hand if need be. Go to the SM's house even so as not to inconvenience the SM.

The real thing though is that as leaders yeh want to help and cheer for lads like this. Don't let the lesson yeh teach be that mindless bureaucracy takes precedence.

Beavah

Yes, you can, and we've done it both ways. We've had one board cover both ranks, but my preferred method is to have two different boards composed of different individuals. We once did three boards in one day for a Scout.

I've never had this actually occur in real life, though there have been a couple of times when it has been close. I just chaired a 2nd Class BOR for a Scout who only has a couple of requirements left for 1st Class, and they can easily be done on one camping trip, so I suspect that before the summer he will have another BOR.

But if it did happen, I see absolutely no reason not to have a single BOR for both ranks -- or even for all three ranks, T-2-1. There is nothing in the book, nor in logic, that requires that they be separated. It is needless bureaucracy that does not help the Scout. Same goes for the SM conference, though that's someone else's department and decision.

"Some Troops just do one BOR for both ranks, but ours did two seprated BOR's on the same night.. Each concentrating on questions asked of each rank.. Of course the 2nd one went faster, doubt he will have little to add to "What improvements would you suggest for the troop?" Or "What was your favorite troop event?" within the span of 15 minutes. "

///Comedic voice on///

Had I been the kid I would suggested just doing one board with a few extra questions instead of two boards that asked the same thing over again.

:D

So, a scout is sitting for T-2-1 in the same night.

Have the Tenderfoot BOR. Promote him.

During the Second Class BOR, do you bust him if he's not wearing his Tenderfoot badge?

And during the First Class BOR, "Hey, Mr. Second Class Scout! Didn't we just counsel you about not wearing your correct badge of rank?!?!?"

Tongue out of cheek....

Ok.. Sailingpj.. Laugh if you want.. The speed up is because the same questions are omited the 2nd time around, rather then repeated..

It was simply that our board is not made up of the same folks heading each board, they just pull in warm blooded committee members who happen to have shown up on the night in question.. So it was to make things simpler for those adults who are not so familure with sitting on a board..

Might look silly from the scouts point of view.. But truth be told some committee members are more nervous about being on a board, then the scout is about going through a board.

Sailing,

I gotta agree with Moose on this one, sometimes folks are nervous on BORs.

I know on the first BOR I sat on, I didn't say a word until I was prodded by the CC. Then the question I asked was, "How do you clean a Dutch oven?" It was the first thing that came to my mind, and my friends in the troop, including the Scout I sat on the BOR for, didn't let me live it down for a VERY long time. But hey it was a great learning expereince for a 12yo PL., and I wish National would allow Scouts to once again sit on BORs for T-2-1.

But if you've never done something before, you want to make sure that things are done correctly so that it doesn't mess around with the Scout. It may have been silly, esp. since the three of us did all 3 BORs for the scout I mentioned, we wanted to make sure nothing affected him.

Absolutely, for the ranks of Tenderfoot, Second Class and First Class. I knew a scout who was a "Scout" for a year then had three BOR's in one night and was awarded the First Class Rank, and caught right up with his peers. He actually became the first of his crossover group to earn Star. Scouts go through ranks at their own pace, and this particular Scout decided that he wanted to concentrate on and master the skills in a way that made more sense to him (and I think it made a difference - he was better at the skills than many of the other Scouts). He learned all of the Knots and Lashings at one time, he did all of the First Aid requirements at one time (and earned the First Aid Merit Badge), he did all of the Swimming requirements at one time, he did all of the cooking requirements in one block of time - you get the picture - he took all the requirements and blocked them out in a way that was logical to him to complete.

His Troop decided to have three separate BOR's - part of the reason is that in this Troop, the Board asks the scout to discuss the "four specific examples of how you have lived the points of the Scout Law in your daily life" which is part of the Scout Spirit requirement in all three ranks and the requirements do say that they should be a different 4 for each rank (I suppose if you have one BOR for all three, you could ask him to cite 12 examples) and part of it is because one of the methods is adult association and BORs are a great place for a different kind of Adult Association that one needs to experience. They had enough adults on hand so no one adult sat through more than 2 BORs and most only sat through 1.

My suggestion - if you have enough adults on hand, split it into two BORs - each BOR having different adults in it. If you normally have six people in a BOR, split them into two groups of three. If you have four people on hand, rotate one out and the other in for a BOR of 3 people. But if you only have enough adults on hand for one BOR group, then that's fine too If the Scout would like to have separate BORs for each rank, then try to accomodate him - if you want to suggest that you do both BORs at the same time, he might just be happy with that too - in that case, I think I'd ask him to talk about 4 examples of living the points of the Scout Law early in the BOR then ask for a second four when the BOR is close to adjourning, rather than ask for all 8 at one time.