Den Chief changing troop

My son has just transfered from one troop to another. He has been serving as den chief for the cub pack associated with the troop and wishes to continue doing so. His new scoutmaster and spl have no problem with this but his old scoutmaster and cc do. I found out that they plan on asking him to step down as den chief. Is this within their rights? The current cubmaster wants to keep him, in his words"the best den cheif he's ever had." My son wants to continue and I think that if he finds out the Adult "Leaders" plan he will feel he's being punished for making a hard decision. Any thoughts? He's only been den chief for a few months. Aren't the leaders just being spiteful and hurtful? How long is the position assignment for? I thought it was one year?

Thanks for your help

It is not the "old" SM, and CC's call. The Scout is no longer in their Troop. They have absolutely no say in what POR's he holds in his new Troop, or how he fulfills those POR's.

Weather or not your son is a Den Chief for this Pack is up to the Cubmaster, and his current Scoutmaster, and SPL.

Just because a Pack and Troop are chartered by the same CO, does not mean that the Troop runs the Pack, or has "dibs" on it in any way, shape, or form.

It sounds like the old Troop is worried that your son's Cub Scouts might join his new Troop when they are ready to cross over, instead of theirs.

From the way they are acting, they have plenty of reason to worry. Some adults just can't play nice. It's a shame.

Good for your son. Encourage him to ignore the adult issues, do his best, and have fun working with the Cubbies! I am sure he will be a great role model for them.

As long as his new troop and the pack leadership are fine with it, your son can do whatever he wants. The "old" leadership of the troop has no say in the matter.

I would watch out, however, for the "old" leadership trying to put pressure on the pack. But since your son has a good track record with his den, and established a relationship with the boys and the DL, I would hope the pack would withstand that.

A den chief term can be however long the pack and troop want it to be. There's no set length - six months, a year, whatever. I was den chief for two dens over a period of several years.

As DC, the boy serves the Den. It has nothing to do with the Troop other than they authorize him to do so. If the CM likes the setup, the current SM and SPL are cool with it, the old SM and SPL can pound sand because they are no longer involved in the process.

I had this happen to me when my DC went to another troop along with one of his buddies. We as a troop have every intention of recruiting his den out from under him this winter. They have one DC championing his new troop and we have our whole troop championing ours. My boys also went after the WDL and CM in the process and involved the Cub parents too. I'm thinking the only one going to the other troop this winter after cross-over is the DC.

Play the hand you're dealt, but play it well.

Stosh

Thanks for all the help. I finally got a hold of my DE today and he agreed, if the CM and current SM are ok with it then it's ok. My son has no intentions of recruiting the dens(he's helping both web. I & II's). He just wants to do his best and help the Pack he grew up in. I found out today that the reason the old troop is doing this is they think that my son and I(used to be heavily involved in the troop) will try to take other scouts with us. In fact we have no intention of doing so. I feel that the other scouts are happy so why ruine it for them. I am a unit commisioner and because of this I realized that our troop was anything but boy led and I want my son to get the most out of his scout experience so I took him to other troops and he realized what he wanted. He choose to leave the old troop himself I just allowed him the oppertunity to visit other troops and see how a boy led troop works

While your son might have no intention to overtly recruit the Webelos he is working with, his example, and enthusiasm for Scouting will do it for him.

And, make no mistake - That is a GOOD thing!

Good for the Cub Scouts because if they are interested in, and excited by, Scouting, they have a better chance of joining Boy Scouts and sticking with the program. Because, your son's influence might make them take a closer look at other Troop options they might have in their area, and find a Troop to join that they really fit in, and enjoy being a member of.

Good for the new Troop because it might get them some members who might not have considered them as an option.

Good for the old Troop because it might get them off of their back sides, and out of the rut, where they simply expect all of the Webelos in that Pack to automatically join their Troop, with little or no work toward that end from them.

Good for the Pack because they have a conscientious, hard working, young man helping, and encouraging their Cub Scouts, and being a great example of what they have to look forward to in Boy Scouting as he does it.

Happy Scouting!