My Eagle medal dangle is packed away in my "Scout Box" and it comes out for Scoutson to look at sometimes, along with the neckerslides, MB sash, old MB cards, and such. The ESknot is on my uni.

I realize that tradition is no real reason to continue to do something (nothing wrong with questioning the rationale for anything, "because I said so" is never a good ultimate reason...), but really, why change the emblems or how they are worn now? After how many solar circuits? The FC badge is the same, granted no longer on a square patch of cloth, and this year surrounded by a special note about the special year earned, but it is the same. Recognition of accomplishment is important, but more bling does not a Scouter make.

Why not relabel the other knots to make them more self explanatory?

Then we could have folks staring at the pocket top like some do at name tags (" Hi there, ah, Jack..."),figuring out that that one's Arrow of Light, that one's Scoutmaster award, Hornaday, Commissioner, ah, ...Hey, we already do that!.

I would never chastise an adult who wore his Eagle dangle on a "civilian" suit, but I might wonder why. I have a small lapel Eagle pin that is on one of my suit coats, it trades duty with my OA lapel pin, the Red Cross pin, the University pin, the musical note pin, and whatever else I have in my pin tin on my dresser. They all indicate something and are sometimes conversation starters. Meant to be.

Then too, we do have the back of the shirt with nothing on it, yet...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the eagle medal can be worn on both the uniform and civilian attire at special occasions. There use to be a drawing of the Eagle medal and civialian attire on the BSA's official website, just can't find it at the moment.