Patrick and his Eagle Ceremony

It has been almost a year since Patrick earned his Eagle. Just trying to get our own family schedule together made it impossible for us to have his ceremony. You see, he wanted to have so many of his summer camp staff buddies and they were all in college or working.

So, he's having his ceremony this Tuesday night at summer camp. He and his older brother are working there again, all of the boys in our Troop will be there, and many of the other Scouts and leaders from our District (most of our Troops camp the same week). He's invited the entire staff, so it is bound to be a wonderful evening.

What a memorable evening it will be. Celebrating with my son along with his brother and father in a place where we have, as a family, spent so much of our time.

That's a great plan! Serving on summer camp staff is an experience one never forgets. To hold the ceremony at camp, with staff, in a place with so many scouting memories, it's bound to be great.

Congratulations to Patrick and the whole family.

Normally I support EBORs being at a place of the boys choosing. In this case, Patrick has gotten it right. I want to see photos.

Patrick: by doing this, you are sending a clear message about who you are and how you like to share your life. Enjoy tonight!!!

Thank you folks for your messages. This is indeed going to be a very special night for Patrick and our family. Mike and I have spent so many years taking Scouts to camp, watching the staff grow from children into young men, and sharing wonderful memories with our sons. Eric and Patrick have worked on staff for such a long time it just seems like the perfect place for Patrick to celebrate his achievement.

Our older son, Eric (Eagle 2001) has something special prepared for Patrick and will be pinning on the medal. Where are my tissues, I am probably going to cry.

I never saw an Eagle COH at Summer Camp. That would be great!

Unfortunately, our Summer Camp (& the Council's Camp) is about 90 minutes from our Troop's location, so it is pretty far to invite the Troop & relatives & guests to attend.

Frank17: Our camp is almost 2 hours from our home, but our Troop is there this week as are most of the others from our town. So, with a few exceptions, everyone that means something to Patrick is already there. It is just perfect.

That's great!

Our Troop's tradition for Eagles seems to be that they generally choose their own church (temple, synagogue, cathedral, etc.) to have their Eagle COH at. I have always appreciated this, since I feel that the reverent portion of the scout law often gets short changed. At the same time, we have never had a scout who worked at or was that attached to Summer Camp, so that he had a bunch of non-Troop buddies there. I think it is great that your son has made so many friends there!

Sniff, sniff, the ceremony brought me to tears a few times. Our Scouts did the traditional Scout Law opening, lighting the 12 candles and talking about the meaning of each point in the Scout Law. After reverent, one Scout (who should wind up being a preacher) said the opening prayer. That got my tears started as he spoke about Patrick and his ongoing journey in life.

A few of our Scouts spoke about Patrick as their mentor and how much they've learned from him, a couple of adults told stories about Patrick's journey through Cub Scouts and then Boy Scouts. A lot of the camp staff told funny tales about Patrick's years working on staff and also of the changes in him since he started and how great a staff member he has become.

The final moments were especially touching for me. Listening to Patrick's brother, Eric (Eagle 2001) say a few words and then pin the medal on Patrick was splendid. But, what I will always remember is watching the tears well up in Patrick's eyes and listening to the catch in his voice as he spoke of how so many people helped him along the path to Eagle, but that it was his brother who was the most influential to him - not only in reaching Eagle, but throughout his life.

And, I wasn't the only one wiping my eyes by the end of the ceremony.

Wonderful ceremony.. You sound like my husband though (although you state there were a few close to tears.) My husband is always asked to speak and declines due to most Eagle courts bring him to tears.

He tried to do the presentation of some of the letters at the last one, thinking he wasn't as personally close to this eagle as alot of the others before him, but no, he was standing up there stopping & starting due to the emotion & the tears.. He will not ever try again..