Just a thought; if the badges must be attached directly to the shirt, why do the scout shops sell the badge holders that hang from the pocket button? As far as I'm concerned, if it's sold at the scout shop, it's authorized for use.

Why do they sell them at scout shops? Not all scout shops are run by national. Some are run by local councils and some are local distributorships, i.e. JC Penny, etc. Local councils and distributorships can sell additional items if they want. For example the local distributorship sell precut, unoffical cars in addition to regulation PWD cars. Some councils decide to sell things that they just shouldn't.

The you got a few folks at national supply who just don't have a clue. 2 examples of this is the Totin Chit and Whittlin Chit patches that national sells. basically they saw other badge companies makign them, and wnated a peice of the pie. These two items are shaped to go on the right pocket flap, whic is reserved for the CS outdoor award and/or CS Sumemrtime pin, or an OA flap, and nothing else. yet you see these two items.

"The you got a few folks at national supply who just don't have a clue. 2 examples of this is the Totin Chit and Whittlin Chit patches that national sells. basically they saw other badge companies makign them, and wnated a peice of the pie. These two items are shaped to go on the right pocket flap, whic is reserved for the CS outdoor award and/or CS Sumemrtime pin, or an OA flap, and nothing else. yet you see these two items."

Those patches are shown in the Insignia Guide, but NOT mention of there proper location. HOWEVER, at the begining where they speak of temporary insignia, they note that the Totin chit patch goes ON the right pocket.

Adding to your comments are other mistakes by National Supply, such as when they made office patches for OA Lodge and Chapter Chief without approval of the OA, then recently did this for National and Regional OA chiefs.

I sew all my patches but for the life of me get them on straight. I've learned that if I staple them in position, I can hold the shirt up, check the position, then stitch around the patch. Unfortunately, from time to time I miss removing one or two of the staples. Oops. But I know that's not what your taking about. I've seen technique you're complaining about -- the badge hanging on by one corner swinging back and forth like a broken sign.

The last time I bought a new shirt, I used the badge magic stuff to tack down my square knots so they line up neatly. I don't like it either as with the heat from the dryer or iron it tends to bleed out from under the patches and leaves a stain. Supposedly it is removed by dry cleaning, but I've not tried that.

Back to your stapled badges, I don't think many units or individuals understand the purpose of the Uniforming method of Scouting. It's about pride and discipline. It's about learning to hang up your uniform after a meeting so it look nice the next time you need it. It's about learning. It's about caring about how you present yourself and the opinion others have of you.

This weekend we were at a local community festival where a number of Scout troops were helping out. A couple times I stopped a group of Scouts and complimented them on how they looked -- full uniforms, no blue jeans, shirts tucked in. I also make it a point to point out to my Scouts when other troops look like a bunch of schlubs. We're a full uniform troop -- hat, necker, shirt, belt, pants and socks. My guys will gripe, especially when the hit the too-cool-for-school phase, but when we're at summer camp, looking sharpe and one of the other SMs says something to them, you can see the shoulder go back and the chin go up.

That's not hot-glue on the badges? I've been heating plastic to the melting point with my wife's iron?

THAT stain isn't coming out.

So far everything is still attached. We wash the shirts inside out to keep the badges from snagging.

But now I'm paranoid to the point that I'll probably get out the needle and tack the corners down. All those arrow point corners...

Thanks. Really!

"That's not hot-glue on the badges? I've been heating plastic to the melting point with my wife's iron?

THAT stain isn't coming out."

Yup. It's not hot-glue. It's plastic.

Back when I used to try to use Stickwitchery, I used to have to remove the plastic from the back, because SW wouldn't stick to the plastic, just cloth. But too often the patches would come lose in the dryer and I'd be re-attaching them. (plus SW left a mess behind. Could be removed to a degree, thankfully, but still. Always wondered how Badge Magic worked, but after the disaster of SW, am not interested in trying...)

So I eventually took them to my aunt (who sews) to sew them down with her sewing machine.

"I sew all my patches but for the life of me get them on straight. I've learned that if I staple them in position, I can hold the shirt up, check the position, then stitch around the patch. Unfortunately, from time to time I miss removing one or two of the staples."

I do the same thing. I found trying to use straigh pins just doesn't do it. The patch usually bowes from the pin. Staples (1, 2, or 3, depending on the size) does a good job of keeping the patch flat against the cloth, then I sew it down by hand.

Its that or I'd have to take it to a seamstress or our local Scout Shops and pay someone to do it. Pass. I'll do it myself while watching tv.

After the nightmare that was Badge Bond, remember the stuff in a spray can national sold a few years back, i learned my lesson: SEWING ONLY. My shop had a can or two returned b/c folks were complaining. Ask my manager If i could be a guinea pig adn try the stuff on a shirt. NEVER AGAIN

• 2 months later...

A technique I learned in the military for positioning insignia, use double sided tape placed in a couple of strategic locations to hold the patch in place while sewing, then just before closing out the edge, use tweezers, or needle nose pliers to remove the tape from under the patch. Finish sewing. Works great, no mess.

"A technique I learned in the military for positioning insignia, use double sided tape placed in a couple of strategic locations to hold the patch in place while sewing"

I always used white glue. Position the patch, weight it, let it dry. After sewing, the first wash removes the glue.

"they note that the Totin chit patch goes ON the right pocket"

The insignia guide doe note that the "totin chip" patch goes on the right pocket:

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/InsigniaGuide/03.aspx

But ScoutStuff notes that the Totin' Chip "emblem is not for uniform wear."

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&item=08597

Ditto for the Whittling Chip:

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&item=08598

And the Firem'n Chit:

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&item=08599

Ed Palmer

in reference to Totin' chitFireman, Chit, etc, I am referencing how these patches are the same design as the flap of the pocket, and that I see scouts wear these patches on the pocket flap. Yes it's temp insig. and should be worn on the pocket itself, not the flap.

Double stick tape, gotta try it. As for the glue, doesn't it get messy?

If it is not for uniform wear than why the h*ll do the sell the d***ed patch? Answer: because they can. I wore the Totin' Chip on my right pocket flap as a scout (c1964) and our scouts where it now. Doubt that I could convince our SM that it is wrong or that our scouts should stop wearing it.

I don't think that there is a scout patch that an 11 year old would wear more proudly than Totin'chip because it comes with the privilege wield sharp objects. What could be cooler than that?

Hal

Hal,

What's cooler than totin chip and weilding sharp objects, PAUL BUNYAN WOODSMAN AWARD!!!!!! Not only do you need to earn totin chip, but you gotta teach totin chip and weilding sharp objects to others, AND do some actual work with those sharp objects for a something constructive :) . ( Sorry Hal I couldn't resist)

Too bad the patch can only be put on the pack and/or blanket.

You know after reading this I think I'll teach my Bears to sew on their own patch. It isn't hard and we're supposed to be teaching responsibility right? I think I was about 7 years old when I learned to sew so these boys should be able to do it. Teach them this and they'll be able to sew a button on their shirt/pants when needed. Why should they have the excuse of waiting on Mom - as it so often is. (Guilty as charged.)