Question about rank requirements

Hello All,

I was just glancing through the Boy Scout rank requirements (My son has not bridged over yet.) and noticed in Second Class and 1st Class ranks the scout has to do some swimming. See below for requirements! Im a little worried due to the fact my son is petrified of water touching his face or water over 3 feet deep due to a near drowning incident when he was younger. My wife and I have been trying to teach him to swim a couple of time without any success. I dont think this would fall under the following note due to the fact that he is not handicapped in any way. NOTE: Alternate Requirements for the First Class rank are available for Scouts with physical or mental disabilities if they meet the criteria listed in the Boy Scout Requirements book. (No. 33215.)

Im going to keep trying to teach him and may even going to YMCA to have someone else give it a try. If he can not learn due to his fear what option are available?

Thanks in advance,

Mark M.

2nd Class Requirement 7: Tell what precautions must be taken for a safe swim.

A: Demonstrate your ability to jump feet first into water over your head in depth, level off and swim 25 feet on the surface, stop, turn sharply, resume swimming, then return to your starting place.

B: Demonstrate water rescue methods by reaching with your arm or leg, by reaching with a suitable object, and by throwing lines and objects. Explain why swimming rescues should not be attempted when a reaching or throwing rescue is possible, and explain why and how a rescue swimmer should avoid contact with the victim.

1st Class Requirement 9: Tell what precautions must be taken for a safe trip afloat.

A: Successfully complete the BSA swimmer test.

B: With a helper and a practice victim, show a line rescue both as tender and rescuer. (The practice victim should be approximately 30 feet from shore in deep water.)

Hi Mark,

I'm sure others will have their take on this, but here's mine, for what it might be worth.

There are a surprising number of boys out there with stories that are similar to what you describe. I agree with you that the alternate requirements aren't really a great fit for this situation although I do know of some cases where parents successfully pursued this for their boys. While being very sympathetic to your son, I also would say that I've known a lot of boys who did overcome similar fears in order to earn 2nd and 1st class, and/or to be able to participate fully in other troop water activities like canoe trips. It takes time, patience, and perseverance, and also working with someone who really knows how to teach swimming, and who is sensitive to the issue, and who has the boy's trust before ever starting. Often parents, however well-intentioned or skilled we are, are not the right person because we're too close.

So, in your shoes, I think I would look for someone who can play those other roles for your son. You might want to start getting to know adults in the local troops, find out who are the swimming merit badge counselors, and start quietly talking with them. Often, the local swimming MB folks are also the ones who help kids with the 2nd/1st class aquatic requirements. I know the guy who is usually the swimming MB counselor for our troop is exceptionally good at working with kids like your son and I have seen him work what seem like miracles with boys who you would think would never be able to meet those requirements. Not all swimming MB counselors will be so good though, so finding someone like that who is also active with a decent local troop could be important (lets the boy get to know him at meetings and ordinary campouts in non-threatening, non-water settings to build trust).

The other thing I'd consider is looking around at local learn-to-swim programs. Not that a typical group swim class would be an appropriate fit for your child, but talk to the program director and ask if they have expertise teaching people like your son. Sometimes you'll find that they are great resources.

However you approach this, I hope you won't let the aquatic requirements dissuade your son from joining boy scouts. There are many fun things he can do, and a lot of learning and personal growth to be had in boy scouts regardless of a boy's rank. And unlike cubs, where advancement tends to be done at a group pace, in boy scouts advancement is very individually paced. There will always be things for him to do in scouting even if he never gets in the water.

Lisabob,

Thanks for the advice and think your right about getting outside help. I know my local YMCA has one on one swimming and will take a look at that. I am an Eagle Scout and know how important the over all program is and think really think rank is secondary. If my son learns how to be a good leader in Boy Scouts but does not go above Rank of Scout then I'll be happy.

Thanks again,

Mark M.

My wife is an ARC instructer Trainer for Water Safety (swimming) and lifeguards. She has taught lots of kids and adults like yours. She actually amazes me. When I asked her the key to helping those who are really afraid of the water, she said "a very very good instructer, who is not in a hurry. Learning should be in a game format. Start where he is comfortable and move slowly." She also said you are welcome to private message us and she would be happy to help you and your wife with a plan to get him on his way and more.

In a slightly-related note, I was a little PO'd that my (then) Tenderfoot son didn't take the opportunity to clear 2C and 1C swimming requirements when he was at camp last summer. In fact, he didn't even try the swimtest, and was labeled a non-swimmer.

The problem is, he isn't a non-swimmer. He swims. Quite well, in fact. It could be that he was just overwhelmed by the camp experience and decided the waterfront was beyond his limits.

We're members of the local Y, so after camp was over, he was enrolled in one of their swimming classes (refresher on strokes, treading water, etc; and confidence-building). Turns out that his instructor was an Eagle Scout from his same troop (we didn't know him because we were too new to the troop); another Life scout from the troop is also a lifeguard there, and is being awarded Eagle in about a month. The nice part is the Eagle/instructor kind of like too him under his wing, and stepped through all the requirements with my son. I checked with the SM, so everyone was fine with this guy giving clearance on the swimming requirements. Everything worked out well in the end. There's a possibility we'll check with him this spring to see if he is registered (or can register) as a Swimming MB counselor.

So, to echo just about everyone else that has participated in this thread. Check at the local Y, or the community pool, or wherever else you can come up with. This kind of thing isn't anything new, and there are instructors around that are quite good at stepping kids through the process.

Guy

Hey Guy, just a question. Did the summer camp have a lake or a pool? I know some kids who are good swimmers but just don't like the mucky feel of the bottom of a lake (some lakes), or the fact that they might be unable to see the bottom if it isn't real clear water, or the idea of "swimming with the fishes" either. Could that have been the case?

One of the skills of good leadership is to be able to conquer one's fears.

I would think that with all that the normal scout troop does, he would constantly be at a disadvantage. Swimming, canoeing, sail-boating, rowing, motorboating, BWCA, whitewater rafting and canoeing, etc. etc. etc.

Start with the YMCA and let him progress at his own pace. I have had boys fail their first swim test at summer camp, just to come back the next year and get the swimming MB. It depends on the drive and determination of the boy.

I also had another boy take the swimming merit badge and the only thing he accomplished the whole week at camp was passing the swim test. And yes, he has eventually finished the MB.

The ability to persevere and conquer one's fears is a powerful asset in the boy's leadership bag of tricks. Let him work on it.

Stosh

Hendrickms24,

I can definitely relate to your son in that I did drown and had to have EMS revive me. I was terrified of water over my chest. Long story short, my mom gave me a choice: take swim lessons or quit scouting. I took those lessons and was a pain in the buttocks for the entire first week. I finally got comfortable enough to swim during the second week. i also had to take instructional swim at camp my first summer camp, but that was OK. If i hadn't have taken those swim lessons as an 11yo, I would never have had some of the wonderful experiences tHat i did in scouting.

Definitely sign him up for swim lessons, even private ones if you have to. Try to find out who has a good teaching record and has experience dealing with kids like your son. I know that when I taught swimming through the YMCA, I was always getting the challenging kids.

As far as advancement, I agree with Lisabob talk to folks before trying to use the alternative requirements. It may take longer, but in the long run it will be a better experience for the scout, and will give him a valuable life skill, swimming, and the confidence to survive a water accident.

Your local summer camp may also offer specific programs for non-swimmers. At the camp where I used to work, that class was usually between 5-10 Scouts each week - so your son wouldn't be alone or among the "little kids," as he might at the Y. It was all in the shallow end, and a very progressive program, so the Scouts got used to it gradually.

>>In a slightly-related note, I was a little PO'd that my (then) Tenderfoot son didn't take the opportunity to clear 2C and 1C swimming requirements when he was at camp last summer. In fact, he didn't even try the swimtest, and was labeled a non-swimmer.

"Hey Guy, just a question. Did the summer camp have a lake or a pool? I know some kids who are good swimmers but just don't like the mucky feel of the bottom of a lake (some lakes), or the fact that they might be unable to see the bottom if it isn't real clear water, or the idea of "swimming with the fishes" either. Could that have been the case?"

Hey Lisabob - I missed your question until just now. It was a lake.

I've never noticed that sort of propensity before in my son -- we have a town pond that he has been in ever since he was very little, and muck and squishiness has never seemed to bother him before. If I were to guess, I'd say that he was probably overwhelmed by the experience. New kid in camp, never been to camp before, first swim test, hurry up and change into your trunks, jump in the water, and then have someone bark orders at him about trying different strokes. Since there were so many other kids to cycle through, the lifeguard probably didn't wait around, and just labeled him a non-swimmer (when I thought by the mere fact he was in the lake, treading water, he might have been labeled a learner at the very least).

I asked him about it, "you can swim, so why didn't they call you a learner?" His reply was "I don't know, he just told me to get out."

In any case, I'm sure he'll be fine this next year. I know, and he knows he can swim. This next year will probably mean Swimming MB for him at camp.

Guy

Hey Barry -- I should have been more clear, and I think my response to Lisabob may have helped at least a little.

As they rotated down to the waterfront on "induction day" :-), he did jump in the water for his swim test. From what I understand, the lifeguard/proctor asked him to try several different strokes that he didn't recognize by name: sidestroke, breaststroke, elementary backstroke. When my son said that he couldn't do any of those, the guy had him get out and called out "non-swimmer" to the guy filling in tags.

I had prepped my son beforehand ("you're going to jump in, then swim three lengths any way you want, and then swim one on your back, and then you'll float for a short bit"), and I knew he was capable of passing the test.

I had also prepped him with the idea that during the week, first thing after breakfast, there would be an instructional swim time, and that he could work on the 2C and 1C requirements when he was there. However, like any good young scout during his first time at camp, he got distracted and never managed to make it to instructional swim.

This summer, I will probably be one of the adult leaders at camp, and I'm thinking about making sure all of the first year guys make it to the program geared towards them. Last year, my son was the only first year camper in the troop, and I think maybe the lack of having a buddy to accompany him kept him away from some programs.

Anyway, thanks...I hadn't meant to hijack this thread. I just wanted to point out that we had a good experience, running into a troop Eagle Scout, by going to the local Y after summer camp was over.

My Eagle son was also terrified of water. He was a tenderfoot for two years. The only requirements he lacked for 2nd and 1st classes were the swimming. No one in his troop offered to work with him or help him out and he was content enough to stay a tenderfoot. His dad had also only made tenderfoot for the same reason( when he aged out of scouting he was a tenderfoot with 40 merit badges!). Son came to me one day and asked to go swimming at the local pool. Over the next 4 months, he taught himself how to swim and passed the requirements. He made Eagle within two years. He uses himself as an example to any boy who says they cannot do a particular requirement. The boy must decide for himself but Mom and Dad should be willing to drive them to the pool as soon as the boy has his trunks on!

GKlose

BSA Swimmer

* Jump feet first into water over the head, level off, and begin swimming.

* Swim 75 yards in a strong manner using one or more of the following strokes: side, breast, trudgen, or crawl. Swim 25 yards using an easy, resting backstroke.

* The 100 yards must be completed without stops and must include at least one sharp turn.

* Rest by floatingLong enough to demonstrate ability to rest when exhausted.

As a Volunteer camp lifeguard, and a part time YMCA certified Lifeguard, you may have missed a tic "prepping him".

With a big line of Scouts, time is usually an issue.

The choice of strong strokes include: side, breast, trudgen, or crawl (most often called "freestyle"). I usually ask for an "active" stroke (arm rotating out of water) as well as a "passive" stroke (arm below water). The inability to do one does not disqualify the Scout, but means I have to be more careful as this could indicate minimal water experience.

The "resting backstroke", can move from arm out of the water backstroke to the "elementary backstroke" (jelly fish-movement) where the arm does not come out.

I also describe (pantomime) the strokes in case the Scout calls it by another name.

On floating, the time needed is longer than when the Scout says, "is that enough"? I want to see if the Scout does not panic. What I do is wait at least 3-4 of his breaths, .... and after the Scout quits asking "is that long enough?".

* Rest by floatingLong enough to demonstrate ability to rest when exhausted.

With all due respect, I know the BSA Swimmer test (I did it myself more than a few times, even as an adult). When I'm doing something like prepping an 11-yr-old like him, I don't usually quote chapter and verse from the manual. I gave him the basics. "See, no need to worry..." is the general idea. He didn't fail because of my prepping (in a simplistic manner)!