• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard of District-level Palm BOR, but I guess it's possible. As far as SMC, I would say NO. By definition, the SMC is with your SCOUTMASTER (or Asst if the SM is your Dad). I don't see any way that can happen without the involvement of the unit and the SM.

Here are the requirements:

1. Be active in your troop and patrol for at least three months after becoming an Eagle Scout or after award of last Palm. (Eagle Palms must be earned in sequence, and the three-month tenure requirement must be observed for each Palm.)

2. Demonstrate Scout spirit by living the Scout Oath (Promise) and Scout Law in your everyday life.

3. Make a satisfactory effort to develop and demonstrate leadership ability.

4. Earn five additional merit badges beyond those required for Eagle or last Palm. (Merit badges earned any time since becoming a Boy Scout may be used to meet this requirement.)

5. Take part in a Scoutmaster conference.

6. Complete a board of review.

So he will have to have a board of review.

And this is from the advancement committee guide book:

"After a Scout has completed all requirements for a rank, he has a board of review. For ... Eagle Palms, the review is conducted by members of the troop committee."

From that I would say no, that he cannot have a BOR outside the troop, unless it is an appeal.

As for the scoutmasters conference, that is what it is, a conference with his scoutmaster. A note here, again from the advancement committee guidebook:

"The requirement for advancement is that the Scout participates in a Scoutmaster conference, not that he passes the conference."

Since it sounds like there is some issues in the troop, here are the procedures for an appeal:

"The first situation occurs when a unit leader or unit committee does not recommend a Scout for a board of review, or refuses to sign the Eagle Scout application. In such cases, the Scout or his parent(s) or guardian(s) may appeal the decision to the committee responsible for advancement at the next level, as described below. The committee hearing the appeal shall then grant the Scout a board of review and appoint its members. In such cases, thecommittee hearing the appeal shall decide to grant or not to grant a board of review.

The second situation occurs when a board of review does not recommend a candidate for rank advancement. In such a situation, the Scout or his parent(s) or guardian(s) may appeal the decision"(This message has been edited by click23)

I have an Eagle Scout that came to me for a SMC and then as he was leaving he said he was going to have his BOR now.

I asked him where and i was told my father set it up with district and he left.

Now he had another BOR without a SMC and tryed to hand it in to our Advancement Person but it was signed by the District so they were told to have district hand it in befor i was told about the BOR.

now the question is who is at falt the district for not checking or the scout for trying to go around the Troop?

and is this grounds for not rechartering?

It depends.

If the young man is co-chartered in a Troop and a Crew, either one can run off the Conference and the BOR. If his co-chartering is in two different Districts, either one can too.

If, however, the young man is chartered in your Troop only, then the Scoutmaster should run off the Conference, and the unit should run off the BOR.

Do you have a copy of Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures #33088?

See that you responded while I was writing.

Bluntly, this is time for a friendly cup of coffee with you (as SM), your unit Commish (or the District Commish), and the District Advancement Chair.

As far as refusing to recharter the Scout, you'd best be talking to your DE about that. Dropped boys are something they'll get hot about, what you don't want is a second-order consequence.

Why would he try to circumvent the troop in this?

"now the question is who is at falt the district for not checking or the scout for trying to go around the Troop? " I would say both, but since it is done, they really can't take it back

"and is this grounds for not rechartering? " on your part or the council?

i am new at the SM thing and i dont have a copy of Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures #33088?

i am looking into what i can do about this matter.

as far as the scout goes he lives somthing like 40 min.away from where we meet and he works on our meeting night.

one of the first requirements is to find a troop near your home.

he has not been seen since Oct but his fother has been there and i have asked where his son was and all i get is he has to work so he wont be here.

The Palm BOR still hasnt gone through yet and its been about 6 weeks

The father is at district level and has PULL

No one will even listen to what you have to say in regards to this person.

This leader has been causing nothing but problems for 2 years and its time for him to go.

Everything we do is told to council so they know every move we make which is fine but we cant even have a Committee meeting without Council knowing what happens.

As far as the scout he works and isnt able to attend the meetings so why should we recharter him so he can just come by for his BOR with District and not have anything to do with the troop

If he shows up for a meeting or activity every now and then, I would say let him stay on. He is either 16 or 17, and scouts shouldn't be the only thing in his life.

But if the only time you see him is when he shows up for advancement, then it is time to have a talk with him. But if you just want him gone, so dad will be gone, I think you should talk to the CC and COR about dad.

Here is how the BSA defines active:

1. Registered in his unit (registration fees are current)

2. Not dismissed from his unit for disciplinary reasons

3. Engaged by his unit leadership on a regular basis (informed of unit activities through Scoutmaster conference or personal contact, etc.)

Every scoutmaster should have these"

"Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures Pamphlet" http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=BOOKS_LIT&c3=LDRS_TRAINING&c4=&lv=3&item=33088

"Scoutmaster Handbook" http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=BOOKS_LIT&c3=BOYSCOUTS&c4=&lv=3&item=33009C

and

"Guide to Safe Scouting" http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=BOOKS_LIT&c3=PAMPHLETS&c4=&lv=3&item=34416A

From what you have posted, it seems to me that dad has used his position/standing in District to gain advantage for his son.

To correct what has happened I see 3 options.

1: meeting with yourself,Charter Organization,DE,Council Advancement Chair and possibly SE to discuss what has happened.

2: meeting with Charter Ogrinazation about not accepting scout and dads reregistration over what has occured.

3: depending on scouts age ignore the issue and let him age out.

Question is how much time and energy do you want to spend on this issue. My Troop had similar issue with scout and Bronze Palm. District got involved and they approved the Palm. We chose to do nothing since the scout was aging out in 2 months.

Here is a link that was posted awhile back for Advancement Committee Policies and Proceedures:

http://www.gwinnettbsa.org/downloads/2008AdvancementGuideBook.pdf

Guide to safe scouting can be read or downloaded from BSA website. Links are at bottom of page.

http://www.scouting.org/HealthandSafety/Resources/Guidetosafescouting.aspx

From what you have posted, it seems to me that dad has used his position/standing in District to gain advantage for his son.

This is true its all about he and his son

On outings he will not even give rides to other scouts and his son shows the same attitude about other scouts like hes untouchable.

He has gone to council and tryed to bring trouble to our troop and he has many of times.

our troop has put together a district outing and got it passed through our DE and the dad being the district outing guy put a stop to it.

so to answer your question yes he sure does