When can a Scout have a SMC and BOR

I have a Scout that has two easy requirements left to complete his last merit badge for his Life rank. He already has in more than enough community service hours. He has been doing a good job in his leadership position and I don't expect any changes there. He has great attendance at meetings, outings, community service... and no problems with Scout spirit. He will have completed his participation and POR requirement on Nov 26th, about 6 weeks from now.

I know once he completes the merit badge requirements he is going to ask when he can have his SMC and BOR. What I was wondering is what is the answer? After the 26th? Within a week of the 26th? Any time after he asks?

There is no rush, the Scout will turn 13 at the end of next month so he is not on the 17 year old fast track to Eagle or anything, he is just enthusiastic. I am also sure that he will accept any reasonable answer to the question. I just would like to be prepared with the right answer. If this is documented somewhere, Boy Scout Handbook, Scoutmaster Handbook, Advancement Guide... please let me know because I could not find it.

Thanks for your time,

Lincoln

ASM Troop 411

A reasonable answer would be to hold the Scoutmaster Conference once everything has been completed, including POR tenure. It should be a time to reflect on all the completed requirements and also to begin a plan of action toward the next rank.

The Board of Review should be scheduled upon request of the boy once all requirements, including the Scoutmaster Conference, have been completed.

he is just enthusiastic

Don't loose that either! I would suggest it's good practice to have a SMC as soon as a Scout notifies you he is eligible for one. Sometimes you just can't get it in that night, so I'll have them see me immediately after opening the following week or we make some other plans, like at the upcoming campout or come a few minutes early next week... Within a week is pretty reasonable, but the evening he notifies you he is ready is always best.

If you are a troop that utilizes the Scout's own handbook for his records, tell him to go to your Advancement Chair to make sure the Troop's records are consistent and current. After we finish, I direct him to contact the BOR chairperson (or whomever sets it up in your troop) to request the BOR. Always encourage them to hold that as soon as possible as well (there are plenty of threads on here discussing BOR frequency - theories abound!).

Keep him moving and try not to delay this part of the process!

Jack

Yah, your choice on da SM conference, eh? I'm with nolesrule and jtswestark. Hold da SM conference when he's done with the requirements and when he asks for one.

Now, preparin' for da future when you have a lad who is "tight on time..."

You can have the SM conference before the 26th.

You must hold the BOR on or after the 26th, since the board cannot approve his advancement until he has actually completed the participation and POR requirements.

B

nolesrule: I agree that is reasonable and more than likely what will happen but that is not stated by the requirement. So that makes me think about why it is not clearly stated. Could it be that once a Scout completes the Merit Badges and community service it may be time to create a new plan instead of waiting for the click to finish ticking.

jtswestark: What are the requirements for being eligle? The requirements simple state:

"Take part in a Scoutmaster conference"

and

"Complete your board of review."

His enthusiasm is what drives the question. Should we be helping him plan while the iron is hot?

I am pretty sure that nowhere in the program does it say that you have to wait until the Scout asks in order to have a scoutmaster's conference with a scout. Nor does the committee have to wait for a scout to ask in ordar to have him come before a board of review.

It's just that you have to be sure that he has one of each after all the other requirements for a rank are done before he can advance.

It's just that you have to be sure that he has one of each after all the other requirements for a rank are done before he can advance.

I agree the BOR should be the last thing done for rank but nowhere is it stated a SM Conference must also be done after all the other rank requirements are completed. There is no order to rank requirements.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

He can have a SM conference at any time, for any reason, including to have the discussions needed to qualify for advancement.

He can have a BOR at any time he requests (or any time the Committee requests), for any reason, to include the BOR which approves him for advancement. To be THAT BOR, as Beavah said, it has to follow on the SMC after all requirements are met.

I think it's called the Adult Association Method?

***ASM411***, in his specific case, I'd recommend he ask him SM for his SM conference to Life after everything but actual time is done. That includes critique of his current POR. That's just me though.