Alcohol at Eagle Court of Honor Reception

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, we all just all keep runnin' really far afield here. It's worth takin' a moment and reflectin' on what certain thing would mean if they were really as crisply cut as folks are makin' out.

The notion that the BSA somehow sets the rules for private parties just because registered BSA youth are present is ridiculous on its face. A family is certainly free to invite all the boys in a troop to their son's birthday party, and can feel free to serve a pint to Uncle Fred at the party if they so choose. Neither G2SS nor the CO's rules apply, there is no liability for the unit/chartered organization, and of course your $1 BSA accident insurance policy wouldn't cover because it's not a BSA event, eh? That's why most families carry health insurance.

Of course, yeh may have to deal with an overzealous prosecutor and a tomfool law if you're livin' in New York :p.

Da notion that parents somehow set the terms for Eagle Courts of Honor just because they're parents is similarly ridiculous. Eagle Scout is not their award, and a Court of Honor is not their ceremony. They don't get to determine their son's high school graduation ceremony or athletic banquet either, eh? Because the diploma or the varsity letter are the school's award to give.

Yah, there seem to be a lot of troops who have simply ceded the ECOH to the parents for some reason. I think it's mostly laziness, eh? Sometimes not willin' to deal with the finances and work of a shindig. I reckon it's also a lack of vision. An ECOH is one of our best venues for passin' on the Vision of Scouting to other families and scouts. Nothin' speaks louder to people than the sort of person we recognize for our Highest Honor. I figure if we're lettin' an ECOH speak primarily to/for the Eagle's family we're missin' the boat. The ceremony should be our statement to the rest of the boys and the community, includin' the members of the CO.

Yah, sure, the Eagle Scout's input should be listened to, and reasonable family requests honored. But we should never let the award of our highest honor to be someone else's event.

I know one Scoutin' family where dad runs an exotic dance club. Yeh think it's the parents' right to have the ECOH there? ;)

Beavah

"The Guide to Safe Scouting doesn't say anything about alcohol and unit events, and it is worded that way on purpose."

The entire G2SS is aimed squarely at units. Read the title: "Guide to Safe Scouting A Unit Leader's Guide for Current Policies and Procedures for Safe Activities".

There really is no need to argue what the intent of the G2SS is, or whether there is liability insurance, or whether its a "national" COH, or a family event, or a unit event. Call it a Scout-related event or whatever you want, it matters not.

The underlying point is alcohol. I'm really dismayed at the comments in this topic that support the idea of booze at a court of honor. The Boy Scout Handbook is full of references to avoiding the use of alcohol. How can one recite the Scout Oath or understand our Mission to prepare boys to make ethical choices if we're so easy to incorporate booze into a Scout-related event. I'm really dumbfounded.

I agree with you.

My point was that a scouting activity is a scouting activity, regardless of whether it is a unit event. The G2SS statement on alcohol covers more than just unit events, district events, council events, national events and summer camp. Awarding a rank advancement to a scout is a scouting activity no matter how anyone wants to word it. Doesn't matter if it's at a truck stop or the White House.