Advancement quiz questions

Jet526 asked what some of the questions on the advancement pre-quiz were that was used at a PTC Boy Scout advancement conference, plus some that I have used at other training courses. All answers are found in the Boy Scout Handbook or in the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual.

Many have since been discussed on this forum, they included.

What is the first Rank in Boy Scouts?

What knots are required for a scout earn First Class Rank?

What knots are required for a scout to Earn eagle?

What is the minimum days and nights of camping that a scot needs to earn First Class?

How many total days and nights of camping does a scout need to progress from Scout to Eagle Scout?

How long does a scout have to finish a partial merit badge?

Can a parent be a merit badge counselor for their son?

True of false...A unit may set an attendance or participation measurement to determine if a scout is "acticve" in the unit?

True or false...A unit can set an attendance or participation measurement to determine Scout Spirt?

Who sits on a board of review for the ranks or Tenderfoot through First Class?

Except for merit badges who can sign a scout's advancement requirements?

Can a scout sign his own handbook?

How many elective merit badges must a scout complete to earn the Star Rank?

Can a youth identify himself as a Boy Scout when seeking donations for an Eagle Project?

For which merit badge can a scoutmaster automatically counsel because he is a Scoutmaster?

Who is responsible for traiing unit leaders about the BSA advancement program?

Who is responsible for the merit badge program at a local summer camp?

How many personal references must a scout supply on his Eagle Application?

How many references must the scout obtain for the Eagle board of review?

(This message has been edited by Bob White)(This message has been edited by Bob White)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here I go. I don't have a copy of the ACPP so I just had to make do. Please be gentle.

What is the first Rank in Boy Scouts? Tenderfoot. Scout is not a rank, is is just what scouts are.

What knots are required for a scout to earn First Class Rank? Square knot, two half hitches, taut-line hitch, clove hitch, clove hitch, timber hitch and the bowline.

What knots are required for a scout to earn Eagle? Same as First Class.

What is the minimum days and nights of camping that a scout needs to earn First Class?3

How many total days and nights of camping does a scout need to progress from Scout to Eagle Scout? 20

How long does a scout have to finish a partial merit badge? Until his 18th birthday.

Can a parent be a merit badge counselor for their son? Yes

True of false...A unit may set an attendance or participation measurement to determine if a scout is "active" in the unit? False. If a scout is not participating they may be dropped, or not registered at recharter, but as long as they are registered they are considered active.

True or false...A unit can set an attendance or participation measurement to determine Scout Spirit? False. Scout Spirit is based on how they live their daily life outside of scouting.

Who sits on a board of review for the ranks or Tenderfoot through First Class? Unit committee members.

Except for merit badges who can sign a scout's advancement requirements? According to the Scoutmaster's Handbook it is any leader and any scout that has earned the rank the scout is working on. Some requirements can be signed by anyone as they do not require testing.

Can a scout sign his own handbook? I think not, except for the requirements that do not require testing. I can't find anything that expressly allows them to sign their own handbook.

How many elective merit badges must a scout complete to earn the Star Rank? 2, although the elective MBs could be Eagle required as well.

Can a youth identify himself as a Boy Scout when seeking donations for an Eagle Project? I thought they could but the answer is no. I don't like it, but the answer is clearly no.

For which merit badge can a scoutmaster automatically counsel because he is a Scoutmaster? None. Also, if a merit badge counselor is a unit position (and I cannot find were it is stated one way or the other) the a Scoutmaster cannot be a merit badge counselor at all. I've never heard of such a thing, I have mixed feelings about being wrong on this one. My wife won't let me be a merit badge counselor anyway.

Who is responsible for training unit leaders about the BSA advancement program? I'm thinking the advancement chair, but I'm probably wrong.

Who is responsible for the merit badge program at a local summer camp? The camp director

How many personal references must a scout supply on his Eagle Application? Of the six requested, the one from the employer is expressly optional if the scout has not had an employer. The letter from the religious leader can be replaced by a letter of affirmation from the scout if they do not have a religious leader, the parent serves as the reference. So only four reference letters are required but there are five references.

How many references must the scout obtain for the Eagle board of review? I think five but would not be surprised if it is none.

This could make for some interesting discussion at the ASM meeting on Tuesday. (This message has been edited by jet526)

"Who is responsible for training unit leaders about the BSA advancement program?

I'm thinking the advancement chair, but I'm probably wrong. "

This is the only one I disagree with. I think its the CC.

Otherwise, I agree with every answer you gave.

Can't wait to see BW pick you (and me) apart! ;)

"Who is responsible for training unit leaders about the BSA advancement program?

I'm thinking the advancement chair, but I'm probably wrong. "

This is the only one I disagree with. I think its the CC.

I also though it could be the Scoutmaster. The irksome thing on this one is that the back of my brain recalls reading about this on not long ago but it will not yield the answer.

Can't wait to see BW pick you (and me) apart!

I hear you. There were a few that I was thinking, "This is the answer, I know it is. But it can't be right or why ask it."

Jet526 You have 11 correct out of 18 for a 61%

Great. Now I get to spend the day rereading the Handbook and I'll have to make a special trip down to Council to get a copy of the ACPP instead of letting it wait until the next time I'm down there. I don't know why I do this to myself, I knew this was going to happen....

Well, I'm sure BW will give the "right" answers after he lets this thread brew for a while. Good on him.

I think some of the answers you (and I) got wrong will be nits having to do with the wording of the question. But one thing for sure, we both got the same question wrong in different ways.

All in good fun. Who's next?

I will try a couple

True of false...A unit may set an attendance or participation measurement to determine if a scout is "active" in the unit?

True, maybe not correct, but a unit can, and no one will say anything about it.

True or false...A unit can set an attendance or participation measurement to determine Scout Spirit?

True

Except for merit badges who can sign a scout's advancement requirements?

Whoever the SM says can. I am assuming you are talking about the handbook?

Can a scout sign his own handbook?

Yes, if the SM says he may.

Can a youth identify himself as a Boy Scout when seeking donations for an Eagle Project?

Yes

How many references must the scout obtain for the Eagle board of review?

Depends on the unit, according to the BSA the answer is zero. All units around this area make the scout obtain them and when you are that close to Eagle why would one rock the boat?

Well, I'm sure BW will give the "right" answers after he lets this thread brew for a while. Good on him.

Yes, The problem is I'm an INTP. I am right within the scope of my knowledge...when I find out I am wrong then I have a compulsion to expand my knowledge until I'm right again. It's a curse.

I think some of the answers you (and I) got wrong will be nits having to do with the wording of the question.

Like, "What knots are required for a scout earn First Class Rank?". A scout already knows the square know so it is not required to earn T-2-1. The same would be true for a scout earning Eagle.

I'll give it a shot - if only to get the interpretation debates started:

What is the first Rank in Boy Scouts? Tenderfoot

What knots are required for a scout earn First Class Rank?

If you mean this to be a cumulative answer (from joining to First Class), then the answer is: Square Knot, Two Half Hitches, Taut-line Hitch, Bowline, Timber Hitch, Clove Hitch, Square Lashing, Shear Lashing, and Diagonal Lashing. (Just as "Hitches" are considered knots, so too are "Lashings").

If you mean this for First Class only (not including knots from previous ranks), then the answer is Bowline, Timber Hitch, Clove Hitch, Square Lashing, Shear Lashing and Diagonal Lashing.

What knots are required for a scout to Earn eagle?

Again, depends on whether you mean this cumulatively (in which case its: Square Knot, Two Half Hitches, Taut-line Hitch, Bowline, Timber Hitch, Clove Hitch, Square Lashing, Shear Lashing, and Diagonal Lashing) or for Eagle Only, not since joining, in which case its none.

What is the minimum days and nights of camping that a scout needs to earn First Class? Three - since joining.

How many total days and nights of camping does a scout need to progress from Scout to Eagle Scout? 20 days, 20 nights (per the required Camping Merit Badge).

How long does a scout have to finish a partial merit badge?

Until his 18th Birthday

Can a parent be a merit badge counselor for their son?

Yes, provided that the parent is also counseling another youth at the same time.

True of false...A unit may set an attendance or participation measurement to determine if a scout is "active" in the unit?

False

True or false...A unit can set an attendance or participation measurement to determine Scout Spirt?

False

Who sits on a board of review for the ranks or Tenderfoot through First Class?

At least three, and no more than six, registered Troop Committee Members.

Except for merit badges who can sign a scout's advancement requirements? Whomever the Scoutmaster designates, provided it is not the Scout's own parent.

Can a scout sign his own handbook? No, he indicates that he has met the requirement but does not sign himself off on it.

How many elective merit badges must a scout complete to earn the Star Rank? Two.

Can a youth identify himself as a Boy Scout when seeking donations for an Eagle Project? Yes - in the inevitable context of working on his Boy Scout Eagle Scout rank. He must, however, make clear that he is not seeking donations TO the Boy Scouts, or AS a Boy Scout. (Trick Question in a way - Billy Scout identifies himself as a Boy Scout when he approaches Lumberyard Owner Joe and says "My name is Billy and I'm working on a service project for the "Local Non-profit" as part of my Eagle Scout project". The BSA recognizes that it would be near impossible for a lad not to be indentified as a Boy Scout, but makes clear the the Boy Scout must not raise the donations as a Boy Scout (not in uniform, etc) or for the Boy Scouts - it is for the "Local Non-profit").

For which merit badge can a scoutmaster automatically counsel because he is a Scoutmaster? None.

Who is responsible for training unit leaders about the BSA advancement program? The District Advancement Chair and Committee (and ultimately, the Council Advancement Chair and Committee).

Who is responsible for the merit badge program at a local summer camp? The Council Advancment Chair and Committee, through the Council Camping Committee.

How many personal references must a scout supply on his Eagle Application? Six (or five if he has no employer).

How many references must the scout obtain for the Eagle board of review? None.

Calico(This message has been edited by CalicoPenn)

11 out of 18 Calico according to the resources of the BSA.

It has come to my attention that we must add a third resource, that of the Unit Money Earning Application.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)