The suggestion that excercising once a month is a responsible way to meet the requirements is silly in concept, and inane if endorsed by the adult leadership.

Interesting perspective. Maybe exercising once a month is all the Scout can do. And if the Scout is doing his best, shouldn't we endorse that? Sure we should encourage the Scout to do more but if he can't, for whatever reason, he can't!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Good luck finding anyone knowledgeable in fitness to tell you that excercising once a month would give you a noticable result in 30 days.

The goal of the requirement is for the scout to experience and understand the benefit of developing a regular excercise program. The purpose of the advancement program is not earn the badge. The purpose is to measure and reward learning.

I would hope most trained leaders would think it irresponsible to foster a scouting environment that accentuates the requirement and ignores the lesson.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

OK, so I initially closed this thread because I didnt see any good comming of it, however Ed prevailed upon me to re-open because he has a question he wants responses on. So, lets see what happens(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Ed, can yeh think of an example where that might be the case, and where it would also result in improvement?

Only thing I can up with is a temporary disability sort of scenario. In such cases, I leave it to da judgment of the Scoutmaster, eh?

Like anything, I think we all do better with real examples then with "program theory".

Beavah

If a Scout can't find the time to excercise more than once a month, how would he ever have time for Scouting? How much time does it take to work on push-ups and sit-ups? A Scout could work on all 5 excercises in the Tenderfoot requirement easily in 20 - 30 minutes, and he only needs to do this every other day.

If used correctly, this requirement is a great opportunity to get a boy who isn't in good shape to make regular physical excercise a part of his life, to make this part of a lifestyle change. If a Scout just goes through the motions for 30 days and gets a check-off, what has been accomplished? Being physically fit is part of our Oath, right?

If the scenario is a temporary injury then the scout can wait until mended and then do the requirement. In the mean time there are plenty of other skills related to advancement requirements that he could be learning practicing and applying.

If it is a permanent disability that keeps him from doing the required work then the BSA makes accomodations for that condition.

A temporary injury is no excuse for for a leader to change a requirement or give a scout recognition for work he did not yet do.

And nothing in the BSA program suggests that you should.

Thanks OGE!

Temporary disability comes to mind.

Work & School schedule that allows for limited time for exercise.

A generally active youth that just doesn't like to practice these things.

A temporary disability could last for years!(This message has been edited by evmori)

I spend a little time explaining the requirements to the boys so they understand their importance. I always use the illustration of preparing to go to Philmont or BWCA with this advancement. Unless one applies themselves to a routine before going on a major outing they will in fact enjoy the event less. At age 50 I went on the toughest trek of Philmont and even with 9 month's prep, I wasn't ready for it, but I made it through. I would not have made it had I not done daily conditioning for it. There is nothing in the Scout literature that forbids anyone of explaining to the boys why certain requirements are chosen for the book and why they are important to know.

Stosh

"Good luck finding anyone knowledgeable in fitness to tell you that excercising once a month would give you a noticable result in 30 days."

Why do we have to find anyone? He's met the requirements by exercising regularly. And who defines "noticiable result." If he can do one more sit-up, that's improvement. If he can do 1/2 of one sit-up more, that's still improvement.

This whole topic seems inane, somehow :-)

But in general, I would say that exercising once every 30 days is not regular and does not meet the requirement, and I don't believe that it's the best a Scout could do.

I've known of troops that handed out a 30 day exercise sheet, and said that you had to exercise every day for 30 consecutive days. If you missed a day, you had to start over. That's one extreme, and that's too extreme for my taste. At the other end is the 'exercise once every 30 days', also too extreme.

I believe that the person signing off on the requirement gets to interpret what it means. Not 'add to' it, nor 'remove from' it, but give a reasonable interpretation of it. Once every 30 days is not reasonable, and I would indeed say, "inane".

Same thing. When you read the words, you have to decide what they mean. Different people might interpret the same words differently. My position is that the person who signs off gets to have the controlling interpretation.

So the Scout practices & does his one pull up faster. That's improvement.

10a.Record your best in the following tests: Push-ups, Pull-ups, Sit-ups, Standing long jump, 1/4-mile walk/run. Record them again 30 days later.

10b.Show improvement in the activities listed in requirement 10a after practicing for 30 days.

Anyone see anything in the requirement that states we are to verify the Scout practiced? The Scout is to show improvement.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

• 2 weeks later...