TroopMaster Advancement Report form

As a troop advancement coordinator (and asst Scoutmaster) I'm curious how your troop uses TroopMaster's Advancement Report form - or for that matter any other Advancement Report form.

We tend to have several board of reviews just before a court of honor. Each of the board of reviews likely have a different mix of committee members. After the board of reviews - usually held during two or three troop meetings - I enter the dates of completion for each relavant Scout (which completes their rank requirements).

A day or two before heading off to buy the badges I print off the Advancement Report form using TroopMaster. I sign the part that certifies that the records are correct, and I hunt down two committee members who participated in one or more of the recent board of reviews. Then I make two copies of the signed forms before heading off to buy the badges.

There have been a few times when a Scout finishes his rank requirements - including a board of review - just a day or two before I head to the store, but after I've already printed the Advancement Report form using TroopMaster, so I'll simply handwrite the name, badge, and completion date at the bottom of the printed form. So far the Scout office has accepted that.

Do you by chance print out a separate Advancement Report form for each Board of Review date?

When I had your job, I couldn't stand Troopmaster. I'd just use the official BSA advancement report, fill it out at the BOR and get the appropriate signatures.

If I had the time, I'd build a well designed troop records package. Unfortunately, good software takes time.

For Scout level I suggest you check out http://scoutdata.com. It looks like a nice package. I know the guy who is creating it and he is working hard to add in Cub Scout tracking now, along with other cool features to come.

I recommend you listen to his interview on "The Leaders Campfire" podcast at http://www.leaderscampfire.com/archives/53

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders one click at a time....

I found TM to get the job done.

I didn't use their advancement report, though. Someone here sent me an rtf shell of an advancement report; I cut, pasted, and rearranged the info from a TM dump, and emailed it to our SM... he worked a mile from the Council Office, so he would run over on lunch hour and fill out awards.

I found giving Council the BSA number was a blessing in helping them manage the youths in question.

kenk,

I do basically the same thing you do. I try and wait until the very last minute to print out the report so all the advancement earned during the period shows up on the printed report. Occaisionally I do have to hand write in an award, but I try to keep it to a minimum.

SA

kenk,

We also do pretty much exactly what you describe. Except I don't think we make the copies.

It does seem odd that the form implies that the same members participated in all of the boards of review on the same date. We've ignored that the same way you have, and it's been fine.

I have used Rank N File for a long time, but it has now become another victim of not knowing the right people in National. But it still is quite viable for most things. But, for advancement, standard form has always been the option, due to the need for accurate signatures and dates. I will then add in merit badges or use a printout after summer camp, crossing off already entered advancement entries. Works okay, other than the council folk ignoring the attachments on occasion. Now that R & F is defunct, and the on-line advancement is here, I will probably use it for some of this. The only rational way around the signature thing seems to be pre-entry and printout before the board; but then if a scout, for some reason did not complete it, it would be a problem.

So, if you want immediate filing to recognize the scout advancement, then the paper copy seems the only avenue unless you are fortunate enough to have access immediately to programs in your meeting spot. The main thing is to make sure the records are accurate and complete, especially for the scout who needs dates and so on for Eagle app.

JMHO