Advancement Rigor: 1960s v 1990s+ into now

What is missing from every discussion of BSA Advancement is an objective standard by which "Advancement Rigor" can be measured.

The basic idea behind modern BSA Scouting is that ANY boy can add Eagle to his business resume without EVER walking into the woods with a pack on his back!

The international movement to reverse this trend and to return Advancement Rigor to Scouting began in 1970 and is called "Traditional Scouting."

To understand just how far the basic Scouting program has been watered down, it is useful to compare it to Scouting associations that still use Baden-Powell's Traditional Advancement standards (called "Progressive Training in Scoutcraft").

You can usually tell at a glance if a Scouting association meets these Traditional standards by simply looking for the three key required "Scout Journeys," detailed below.

First Class Scout means the boy has reached the minimum level of self knowledge to survive on a basic level for a simple campout.

That statement says it all! At one time, the BSA's standard for a "First Class Scout" was similar to that of Baden-Powell's. Simply put,

A First Class Scout has reached a mastery of Scoutcraft skills sufficient to plan and undertake a significant back-woods expedition without adults.

These skills were once tested in the BSA's version of B-P's "First Class Journey":

"Make a round trip alone (or with another Scout) to a point at least seven miles away (fourteen miles in all), going on foot, or rowing a boat, and write a satisfactory account of the trip and the things observed."

This is the true real-world "test" of a First Class Scout, not some sign-off checklist or indoor Scoutmaster Conference and Board of Review.

If I were revamping the requirements, I would consider having two groups of non-Eagle-required Merit Badges, "Scout Skills," and "General,"

Baden-Powell's "Proficiency Badges" are different from "Merit Badges" in a couple of important ways:

Proficiency Badges are divided into two groups, "Scoutcraft" and "Public Service."

Scoutcraft badges are worn on the right arm and represent the skills through which you encounter the "Religion of the Woods." Public Service badges (such as first aid, lifeguard) are worn on the left arm and represent the skills used to practice "Practical Christianity." Proficiency Badges are not geared toward employment.

Too often once the requirements are met it means the end of the story. That's a major disservice to our boys.

Proficiency Badges are based on the idea of "current proficiency."

For instance, to wear the first aid badge on your left arm, your certification with an outside agency must be kept current. As a Scout gets older, he earns the senior-level (Life & Eagle) Proficiency Badges which are square-shaped. They replace the round, Scout-level Proficiency Badges earned earlier. For instance, the Scout "First Aid" badge is replaced by the Senior Scout "Ambulance Badge." Thus, a Scout's badges (including most of his previous awards such as Tenderfoot, First Class, etc) all fit on a short-sleeved shirt. Scout uniforms are worn outdoors so that in the field you can tell at a glance in what skills and at what level a Scout is currently proficient.

Now, I understand there is need for change:

- The Internet has replaced signal flags. WHAT ABOUT SURVIVAL MIRRORS?

- Suntans are no longer encouraged.

- Browse beds are discouraged.

- First aid techniques have improved.

In Traditional Scouting, a national program may add requirements but not take them away. So the basic Scouting skills remain and are changed only for reasons of 1) Health & Safety, 2) Environmental Concerns (Leave No Trace), 3) Lightweight Materials, and 4) Local Weather and Native Cultures.

So in the above list, suntans are discouraged, browse beds are eliminated, first aid techniques are updated, signal requirements are preserved, and a Scout who takes the Morse code signalling option can communicate with a survival mirror.

It should be noted that the "practical application" of signalling requirements are not why they are included in a rigorous Scouting program. The telephone was invented before Scouting, so signaling skills that do not require technology (Morse code, semaphore, and, in the BSA, both Indian and deaf sign languages) were important not so much for their practical applications, but to teach a Scout observation, interpretation, and how to communicate in codes (which, as Ernest Seton, Dan Beard, and Baden-Powell noted, fascinate most boys). These signal requirements are closely related to the observation (Kim's game), tracking, and stalking skills missing from BSA Scouting.

HOW MANY hikes...?

(All Traditional Scouting advancement hikes are undertaken with NO adults)

Second Class:

Go on an eight-mile daytime Journey (minimum) with at least three other Scouts.

- Your Patrol Leader will set your route, and a specific objective will be given.

- Make an oral report from notes to your Patrol Leader immediately upon your return.

- Your Scoutmaster must know your hiking route, and must approve your plan in advance.

- If additional Scouts are taking the test, each will report independently.

First Class:

The First Class Journey. Go on foot, with three other Scouts, on a 24-hour journey of at least 15 miles.

- Make all the necessary advance preparations, and organize the packing of food and gear.

- In the course of the journey, you must cook your own meals, at least one of which must include meat or a protein substitute.

- Find a campsite and camp for the night.

- You must carry out any instructions given by the examiner as to things to be observed on route.

- Make a log of your journey sufficient to show you have carried out those instructions, and submit it within one week of your return.

Bushman's Cord (Life Scout)

Venturer Badge (required)

1) Complete an adventure journey as a member of a Patrol in which you shall play a leading part.

- The journey, which may be short in length, must include at least 5 incidents such as rescues from fire or heights, compass work, Signalling over distance.

- Water incidents to be included for Sea Scout Troops.

2) Make a journey of at least 20 miles on foot or by boat, with not more than 3 other Scouts.

- Route must be one with which the Scout is not familiar and should, if possible, include stiff country.

- Sleep out, using only the gear carried in a backpack.

- Maximum weight 31 lbs which must include food.

- The Examiner may set the candidate 1 or 2 tasks, which require a specific report but no general log of the journey is required.

St. George's Award (Eagle)

Senior Explorer Badge (optional, but encouraged)

- Take part in an expedition with not less than 3 and not more than 5 other Scouts. The expedition may be on foot, boat, or on horseback.

- The expedition must be planned to last at least 4 days, and at least 3 nights must be spent in tents. All necessary equipment and food must be taken and all meals prepared by members of the party.

- All Scouts in the party will take an equal part in the planning arrangements before and during the expedition, but it is not necessary that all participants should be under test.

- A detailed log of the expedition must be kept be each member of the party, having previously agreed between themselves a different emphasis for each log - eg weather, geography, history, architecture, archaeology, botany, ornithology.

- The route and special log subjects must have the prior approval of the examiner.

- An expedition on foot will cover at least 50 miles in wild country. The 3 nights will be spent at different campsites.

- An expedition by water will cover at least 50 miles and the log will cover such points as the state of the river, conditions of banks, obstructions to navigation etc.

- An expedition on Horseback will cover at least 200 miles. In wild country, camping at 3 different camp sites.

- An expedition, whether on foot or otherwise, must be a test of determination, courage, physical endurance and a high degree of co-operation among those taking part.

HOW MANY NIGHTS in the field?

Tenderfoot:

Take part in an overnight outdoor Patrol or Troop activity. Explain how you used "Leave No Trace" principles to minimize the impact of your campsites on the local wildlife and environment. Keep a detailed camp logbook and show it to your Patrol Leader.

Second Class:

Camp with your Patrol for a minimum of 6 nights.

First Class:

Have camped with your Patrol no less than 12 nights.

Scout Cord (Star):

Have camped with your Patrol no less than 22 nights.

Bushman's Cord (Life)

Have camped with your Patrol no less than 30 nights.

St. George's Award (Eagle):

Have camped with your Patrol no less than 40 nights.

HOW MUCH COOKING?

Cooking requirements are "bundled" into other requirements and are geared toward use in Scout Journeys, but Scouts can use lightweight backpacking stoves on their required advancement expeditions:

Second Class

Explain the general rules of health. Discuss personal hygiene, good eating habits, the need for water purification, personal fitness, and using a latrine. Describe a good camp dish washing system.

Be able to recognize and name six common trees in your area, and explain the values of their wood for burning.

Lay and light a fire outdoors using all natural materials, and using not more than two matches. Cook over this fire a meal for yourself and at least one other person, consisting of: fresh meat (or a protein substitute) and potatoes; and a bread twist, flapjack, or other bread.

Also make a hot beverage, soup, or a cooked dessert.

Explain how you used Leave No Trace principles to minimize the impact of your fire on the local environment.

First Class

Choose a campsite for a Patrol weekend camp, and explain how you used Leave No Trace principles to minimize the impact of your campsite on the local wildlife and environment.

Plan the program, menu, and duty roster.

Supervise your Patrol members as they pitch, strike, and pack their tents, acting as leader. Where possible, this should tested by practical inspection of a Patrol weekend camp.

Camp out with another Scout in a simple shelter such as a light-weight tarp. While on the campout cook a no-utensils meal consisting of a main course, a vegetable, and a dessert item.

Explain how you used Leave No Trace principles to minimize the impact of your campsite on the local wildlife and environment.

HOW COMPREHENSIVE a knowledge of first aid?

BSA First Aid is good, but would be improved with Traditional Scouting required annual certification by an outside agency.

For more details about Traditional Scouting Advancement Rigor, see The Inquiry Net:

http://inquiry.net/traditional/handbook/index.htm

Kudu

local, I prefer the colored patches too.

I wear ASM with the green background. My son's patrols is the Screaming Squirrels. Only trouble is, I can't find any squirrel patches, except very vintage ones on ebay.

Kudu, I thought I had lengthy posts.

This is not personal, just my thoughts, BSA is what is is today and no matter how much either of us would like to change it to something it was, it won't happen. I entered Boy Scouts in '72 or 73. We were outdoors all the time. I've never really heard of what you refer to as indoor scouting, or indoor scoutmaster conferences, or some of the other things you refer to. Sure, it would be nice if we could send our kids on a 15 mile hike, overnight without any adult supervision, but that won't happen today. Whe I was 7 or 8 years old, I would be on my bike a mile or so from home, at 7 years old. Not gonna happen today. Too many creeps out there.

My old troop from my youth was outdoors, did tons of first aid, map and compass, pioneering, cooking over wood, flint and steel, the whole 9 yards.

I suppose there is that First Tarrant thing in Texas for you, I don't know. Again, I'm not trying to be personal, we all try to deliver a program to kids. I wish it was as least as tough and thorough as when I was a scout. I wish we had a more vogorous program, more hikes, etc.

Accept my apology in advance, not trying to offend.

Gonzo1 writes:

Kudu, I thought I had lengthy posts.

OK, I have long admired Ed Mori's and Brent Allen's ability to get their message across in only 3-6 sentences, so I am going to try to follow their example for a while.

This is not personal, just my thoughts, BSA is what is is today and no matter how much either of us would like to change it to something it was, it won't happen.

John-in-KC proposed a theoretical discussion in the Issues/Politics forum that addresses the question "Does the program, in your evaluation, have sufficient rigor, or has it been watered down?" My answer is that the problem with modern BSA Scouting is that any boy can earn Eagle without ever walking into the woods with a pack on his back, so it is a simple matter to compare that to the rigor of the program of Scouting's inventor, Baden-Powell, which was based on a required series of adult-free expeditions of increasing difficulty.

Sure, it would be nice if we could send our kids on a 15 mile hike, overnight without any adult supervision, but that won't happen today. When I was 7 or 8 years old, I would be on my bike a mile or so from home, at 7 years old. Not gonna happen today. Too many creeps out there.

This practice of keeping children away from nature because of all the creeps out there is addressed in Richard Louv's book Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder. If you aspire to the First Class Journey as B-P's (and at one time the BSA's) true test of a First Class Scout but wish to address the commonly-held perception that nature is simply too dangerous for children, you might design a compromise similar to BPSA-USA's in which a group of Scouters "shadows" the Scouts at an appropriate distance but with whom the Scouts may not interact in any way except in an emergency.

I suppose there is that First Tarrant thing in Texas for you, I don't know.

At least one other American national Scouting association and a number of unaffiliated single Troops (including an all-girl unit) use the same standard program as designed by Baden-Powell.

Kudu

A devoted scouter named Kudu

Lengthy posts and comments he would do

A student of Powell

As he said with a scowl

Tradition and old ways we must do!

Kudu,

I really appreciate your fondness for the way it was. I really wish we could go back too. As I've mentioned, I joined BSA in '72 or 73, we had an outdoor troop (with outdoor patrols). We did everything by patrol. I never owned a coleman lantern until my wife on one of our campouts "can we have more light?, So I put tw logs on the fire and waited. She pointed to another campsite and said, "that's nice, but light like theirs" pointing to a porpane lantern.

I don't think in this day and age parents are going to send their kids out on a 15 mile hike without adult supervision.

Personally, I prefer cooking over wood fires, I light fire with flint and steel (usually) and I prefer camping without the troop trailer.

I see no reason why we (all) can't teach the older basic skills. Just because those old skills aren't requirements doesn't mean scouts can't learn them. Only thing is, we can't hold back on advancement because a scout today didn't learn some skill from the past.

I disagree that a boy can earn Eagle without going into the woods, but i agree that some outdoor skills have been diluted.

So, what can Kudu and Gonzo do to improve the situation? How can we all make change happen? Seriously, There are many things I'd change, some are easy to implement, some maybe not so easy. I've read here that National reads these posts, is that true?

Hey National! We want to help make BSA better for the boys, please listen, ecourage participation. Many of us want to help.

YIS

Gonzo

A very interesting thread. I got my Eagle in 69 back when you had to have the plant/animal id, signaling, time between each rank, etc. Fast forward to 77 when I came back to Scouting as an adult. I looked at the handbook and was shocked that you truly could get to Eagle without ever going camping. This book was in effect until the 80's when Bill Harcourt (Green Bar Bill) and others finally got things back on track and the requirements resembled those of old. Now we are in the 21st Century and things have changed again. We have to do some things to keep the program current. If you talk to some of the real old timers and see what merit badges were required back in the 30's-50's you would be shake your head, but they were practical for the time.

As for wanting to be a traditionalist and cook over wood fires, etc, that's fine if you can do it. A lot of places where troops camp don't allow open fires or you can only do it with the wood you brought or bought. The old way probably did a better job of teaching a scout how to survive in the woods, but times have changed and the program must also to survive.

Gonzo writes:

I disagree that a boy can earn Eagle without going into the woods....

Any boy can earn Eagle without ever walking into the woods with a pack on his back. At one time the BSA did require a tiny three mile (that is 1.5 miles each way) backpacking trip for Camping Merit Badge but now even that is optional.

Now to satisfy all his Eagle camping requirements, Tommy Tenderfoot can order an "Executive Rolling Suitcase" from his mommy's "Wood Badge Leadership Accessories Catalog" and simply wheel his slumber-party gear to his tent!

So, what can Kudu and Gonzo do to improve the situation? How can we all make change happen?

In the United States we believe in the corrective forces of a free market: if the government deregulates the Scouting industry and allows Americans to join traditional 1960's style Scouting associations, then market forces will pressure the BSA to re-evaluate its post 1972 Advancement rigor.

I've read here that National reads these posts, is that true?

Not as closely as they read the financial news :-)

Kudu

Kudu,

I just checked the Camping MB requirements. I didn't know heretofore that rapelling and a foat trip could count toward Camping MB, see requirement 9b.

It would be nice if things were a bit tougher.

In another thread the question of PORs is again active. What constitutes "actively"? I'd like to go back to the 1960's wording; "Serve in a POR to the satisfaction of the Scoutmaster". This would give the SM the power to remove a scout from a POR and require the "boys" to elect someone else. The wording changes for POR over the years make me wonder what the actual intent or desired goal of National has been. It went from to the satisfaction of the SM to (not in chronological order) to hold a POR to serve in a POR to serve "actively" in a POR. I'd like to give the power of impeachment back to the SM.

LongHaul

LongHaul, I usually agree with your posts, but I think if the SM had the ability to impeach it would go against the Boy-led plan. I saw firsthand what happened when the boy Elected by his peers to replace me as SPL when I moved up to JASM was removed by the SM in favor of the SMs son. The impeached left Scouting. His two older brothers were both Eagles. He, like me, is in the Life Scouts Forever Club.

LongHaul writes:

The wording changes for POR over the years make me wonder what the actual intent or desired goal of National has been.

The desired goal has been Wood Badge in the 21st Century: the victory of business leadership skills over outdoor skills and the Patrol Method. At one time Wood Badge taught the Patrol Method by teaching participants outdoor skills in a Wood Badge Patrol.

Previous to William Hillcourt's retirement there were no POR requirements and the 1960's wording was:

Star: "be active in meetings, outdoor activities, and service projects of your unit and dependable in your unit obligations."

Life: "Accept and carry out responsibilities in meetings, outdoor activities, and service projects of your unit."

Eagle: "Work actively as a leader in meetings, outdoor activities, and service projects of your unit."

Kudu