Eagle Board of Review

My nephew had his Eagle Board of Review 2 weeks ago.

He had to invite 3 people to be part of the Board of Review.

He was told that they did not have to be a member of the BSA to be on the Board of Review.

One person he invited was my sister. He is my nephew from my wife's brother, so my sister is not related to him. My sister is not involved in scouting at all. She said they gave her a list of question to ask, which sounded like they where the run of the mill Board of Review questions.

I have never heard of a scout selecting Board of Review members. Or members on the Board of Review not registered with the BSA.

He is in a different council than I am in.

Have you every heard of a scout picking his Eagle Board of Review members? Or Board of Review members not being a member of the BSA?

Oh yeah he passed the Board of Review.

Congratulations to your nephew. Yes, this is a common practice. I have sat EBORs where a scout's Priest (an Eagle Scout), a favorite teacher, a neighbor, etc, were invited to participate. As the District rep, I explain the ground rules (not a retest, ask open-ended questions, etc), and offer a list of possible questions if they care to use them...or they can ask their own if they want. It usually goes very well.

Our district has the troop provide one person, but it is encouraged to be someone on the committee. The idea is that it's someone he'll recognize and help put him at ease. The other members (usually 5 total) are the DAC and 2-3 others he brings in. They are often scouters from other units or community leaders.

from the BSA Publication "Advancement Committee, Policies and Procedure"

Eagle Board of Review

The Boy Scouts of America has placed the Eagle Scout board of review in the hands of either the troop, team, crew, or ship committee or the district or council committee responsible for advancement. The council will decide and promulgate which method or methods may be used.

The board of review for an Eagle candidate is composed of a minimum of three members and a maximum of six members, 21 years of age or older. These members do not have to be registered in Scouting, but they must have an understanding of the importance and purpose of the Eagle board of review. At least one district or council advancement representative shall be a member of the Eagle board of review, when conducted at the unit level, and may serve as chairman if requested to do so by the unit.

Because of the importance of the Eagle Scout Award, a unanimous decision must be reached as to the Scout's qualifications. If a unanimous decision is not reached, a new review may be conducted at the request of the applicant, the unit leader, or the unit committee. The review should take approximately thirty minutes.