Supplemental training qualifications

Searched and called our DE without a straight answer.

Been working on finishing the Leader's Training Award and one of the possible requirements is to complete supplemental training. Trying to get a list of what will qualify for that requirement. Been doing a lot of training this past year, a lot of it required for position but some of it isn't and I didn't know if any of it will satisfy that requirement.

Thanks.

Supplemental training is pretty much any training done outside of position-specific courses and advanced courses such as Wood Badge, Seabadge, and Powder Horn. A couple that come to mind are Trainer's EDGE and University of Scouting.

The requirement you are trying to complete states to "Participate in a supplemental training course at either the council or national level." Check out your council's website to see what courses it is offering or check out neighboring councils' websites.

Chazz Lees

I think what you're asking is, "is there a single list of all the training courses?"

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/What_makes_a_trained_leader.pdf

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/TrainingCoursesReport2011.pdf

http://www.scouting.org/Training/Adult/Supplemental.aspx

Currently, training completed beyond the basic requirement by position is considered supplemental.

2006 Requirement - Participate in a supplemental training course at either the council or national level.

2012 Requirement - Participate in at least one additional supplemental or advanced training event at the council, area, region, or national level.

Note that in both cases the supplemental training must be at the council level (at minimum).

Should of signed up here a long time ago, got more information in these two posts then I have gotten from our DE in the past month.

On some of these things, its just seems like the BSA leaves things so vague. I hadn't seen the training requirement sheet that you posted. The only thing our council ever put out was really cryptic. Nice to see some plain language direction, that perfectly makes sense.

One last thing, would training you pick up at summer camp qualify as council level, or are they looking more for a specific training day/weekend event?

Since things like Powderhorn & Woodbadge are a wee bit expensive, I would look around to the EDGE training (If your Councils does it at Council level rather then district level. Mine does).. Or a University of Scouting or PowWow.

You can probably ask your District training Chair if they know of anything coming up. Their contact email should be listed on your Districts website.

One last thing, would training you pick up at summer camp qualify as council level, or are they looking more for a specific training day/weekend event?

This is a good question. Again you can ask for clarification from you DTC, but since I am one and don't know, this may be a question the Council Training chair will need to answer..

Personally I would say "No", it may be arraiged by the Council (more like the camp Director who is acting link a Training Chair).. But, if the training is offered on the internet or through your district it isn't Council Level training, it is simply put on by the Council.. To my mind there is a difference.(This message has been edited by moosetracker)

"...additional supplemental or advanced training event at the council, area, region, or national level."

To my mind, this means ANY additional training sponsored by the Council or National or Region in addition to the training required for your position. Lots of suggestions have been made.

You have two peolple to satisfy: yourself, and the fellow that signs off on the award application. If YOU think you have fulfilled the requirement and the second is not happy, ask him/her what is lacking. There is your answer. Perhaps you have already taken the training and are not aware it meets that requirement. Go find out.

Congratulations in advance! Good Scouting to you.

(This message has been edited by SSScout)

OK, Gotcha.

The links provided help, but national use to have a flyer that listed all the required training, ( for lack of a better term Main" supplemental training, and advanced training.

Supplemental training included SSD, SSA, Trainer's EDGE, etc. Pluse there were some online supplemental training too.

University of Scouting offers some great classes.

Advanced training is WB, Seabadge and the like.

I must have "cheated" getting my Scouter's Training Award; NCS COPE Director training counted for me.

"Searched and called our DE without a straight answer."

Ask the district training chair instead. The DE wouldn't know the answers - it's not his baliwick... but he should have referred you to the training chair.