Troop Court of Honor ceremonies

I have never planned a court of honor for my Troop either. The SPL asks someone in the Troop to volunteer to be the "Emcee" for the ceremony and that Scout typically plans the order of events and any type of ceremonial "stuff". We had one Scout who had Native American roots and he frequently showed us ceremonial dances of his ancestors. Other Scouts have lit candles for each point of the Scout Oath and Law. As for Eagle courts of honor, we have an advancement coordinator who offers to help new Eagles and their families plan the special event.

Hey, Ken, I don't think you got the answer you were looking for here. Do your Scouts needs suggestions to help spice it up? Mark Ray has some good tips for conducting ceremonies in his The Scoutmaster's Other Handbook.

I think what we were attempting to do, and it might have come across as an attack, is remind you that the Scouts, themselves, should be planning these ceremonies and carrying them out. Heck, it's sometimes a little uncomfortable when there are awkward pauses and "ums" and "uhhs" but at least they are doing it themselves!

The best ceremonies I've attended are ones that the Scouts planned and led in the outdoors by a campfire. :D

LeCastor - it's all good. I've got a thick skin and know it's the internet -sometimes tones don't come across. I always assume we're operating under the Scout Oath & Law here and being helpful.

That said - we're rebuilding a dying Troop and trying to make our own traditions. The first COH is coming up. The experienced Scouts have only seen it done one way. I'm trying to push them into trying new things. And I want some ceremony "magic" not just the same old, same old.

Candles. And a dark room. Helps to solemnicize (?) the occasion, at least for the opening. Light one red candle, say something about the Spirit of Scouting, how it lives on in every Scout, but the wick needs to be trimmed and the fuel replenished occasionally. Take that candle and light four blue candles for the four parts of the Scout Promise (duty to God, to Country, to Others and to Self), might say something about each part. Then light twelve white candles, repeating each point of the Scout Law.

When all are lit, talk about how each Scout seeks to learn more, and here are the patches and awards to mark those successes. Turn up the room lights and proceed with the presentations. Each award is made by a Scout, the SPL or maybe the Scout that taught that skill. Save the higher ranks for the SM to award. Maybe the SM can make the example and ask the SPL to lead off.

When all the awarding is done, someone talks about the next big events, campout or hike or service project. Maybe abit about the Troop history, the necker. Then the SM Minute. Then the lights go down, the Troop stands, Scout Sign, recites the Scout Promise, and files out by Patrol. Parents join them in "The Other Room" for cookies and punch (or BBQ and Slaw?) .

Just an example. Gussy it up as you see fit. Howzat?