Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANother alternative is that he felt like excercising his Constitutional right to Bear Arms, you don't "Need" a reaosn to carry a gun, just being an American gives you right to carry one

Of course, if you do stupid things with it, well then, thats the horse of a differnt color you hear so much about

Comment

• scoutingagain: "No one is looking for a lynching."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/03/26/149399082/new-black-panther-party-offers-10k-bounty-for-george-zimmerman

New Black Panther Party Offers $10K Bounty For George Zimmerman

Over the weekend, members of the New Black Panther Party showed just how tense the situation in the Trayvon Martin shooting has gotten: They offered a $10,000 bounty for the capture of George Zimmerman, who shot and killed the unarmed teenager.

Comment

• Ya, I meant no one here.

Sure there are wackos out there. I have no doubt there certain white supremist groups that would have a bounty on Tevor had he survived, grabbed the gun and shot Zimmerman and walked away without charges.

Zimmerman might actually be better off arrested. At least then he could be in protective custody and a full investigation instead of a trial by media.

SA

Comment

• SRBeaver, what would it take to convince you that the new black panthers are not a mainstream group? Even Jesse Jackson has objected to their particular brand of vigilante justice.

If you want to talk about crackpots and extremists, every side has them. There are, for example, two people in MI who just got off on domestic terrorism charges. Their lawyers argued successfully that just because they collected a stockpile of weapons, and had a plan to attack police in order to start a white supremacist revolution and reclaim America, and were key figures in a white power group in the region, that they were primarily "big talkers" who didn't actually mean to attack anybody.

That does not mean that all white people feel this way. So why is the NBP statement (ridiculous as I believe it is) a reflection of anything, other than fringe groups? If you read it as anything else, I think you're way off base.

Comment

• Yah, I had to go look these guys up.

Accordin' to the Southern Poverty Law Center, "The New Black Panther Party is a virulently racist and anti-Semitic organization whose leaders have encouraged violence against whites, Jews and law enforcement officers." In other words, a bunch of whack jobs equivalent to the KKK and various white supremacist splinter groups.

Even Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson haven't resorted to quotin' from some skinhead rag to impugn Zimmerman, so I can't figure why it seems OK for the folks who follow the reactionary echo blogs to bring up the NBPP. It just doesn't make any sense... unless there is some benefit for somebody in deliberately raising racial tensions.

Beavah

Comment

• It wasn't that long ago, when the Mob put out a contract on someone's head, the FBI considered that a felony and would investigate, apprehend, prosecute and incarcerate. But those were old Italian white guys. I'm not trying to incite anything...just trying to understand the difference under this Administration. Apparently now, voter intimidation and murder for hire are now ok?

Comment

• excuse me, what??? Please clarify what your point was.

Who here has said that this is acceptable behavior? And this specific incident has nothing to do with voter intimidation.

Comment

• Well, Zimmerman got away with it after all. Interesting.

Comment

• No justice no peace.

Interesting...

It is pretty divided along racial lines.....

Black Zimmerman should have been found guilty.
                    White Zimmerman was justified.

Both of them were wrong......and trayvon is dead.....

Stand your ground laws gives punks the reason to pull their guns and shoot folks because they feel threatened,.

Comment

• Scouter99
                      Scouter99 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      When the media go so far to make it about race as to Photoshop the victim's skin to make it lighter in some photos, create the "white Hispanic," air doctored 911 tapes, use photos of the victim that are 3 yrs out of date, demonize Zimmerman's black aegis/friend as a paid phony, then of course we can expect the matter to be divided along racial lines.
                      Everyone watching has been told that this is white vs black regardless/in spite of any likely alternative, so of course (many) white people are on the defensive and back Zimmerman, and (many) black people are offended and back Martin.

• Brewmeister
                      Brewmeister commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Perfect comment Scouter99. The die was cast for this the minute the media and the Race Industry made it about a middle aged white guy shooting (someone who was constantly pictured and portrayed as) an 11 year old kid just because he was black. The facts had nothing to do with this case, never have. Just an excuse to advance an agenda.

• SR540Beaver
                      SR540Beaver commented
                      Editing a comment
                      First, the trial had nothing to do with the "stand your ground" law and was tried based on classic self defense.

Second, while some may turn their nose up at the news source reporting, the facts presented are correct in the media demonizing Zimmerman with fabricated data and making this all about race.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journal...rage-Rap-Sheet

• m the legal perspective, the Prosecution tried to hit a home run with a big time charge in Murder-2. They tried to prove Zimmerman profiled and had hateful intent to kill Martin. That was overreach, and a simpler charge should have been attempted, like Manslaughter. I think public pressure pushed the prosecution into a really difficult charge to prove. Beyond a reasonable doubt. I'm disappointed that Trayvons family was denied justice, but happy that media pressure did not create a conviction where the facts did not lie, and clearly to almost anybody who watched the trial, the State blew it big time.

Sentinel947

Comment

• Peregrinator
                      Peregrinator commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The judge did rule that the jury could consider the lesser charge of manslaughter.

• Kahuna
                      Kahuna commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Speaking as a lawyer, my feeling is that the State blew it big time because they had no case. I'm not saying Zimmerman was innocent, but he was definitely not guilty of the things he was charged with. What actually happened between the two of them nobody knows except George. As to justice, Sentinel, you should be able to see that justice is exactly what they did get. Zimmerman was tried by a jury of his peers in a fair trial and found not guilty. That is our system of justice, is it not? Zimmerman made some mistakes and Martin made some mistakes (he could have walked into his home and still be alive), but proof beyond reasonable doubt? No way.

• Sentinel947
                      Sentinel947 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Peregrinator: They could consider it, but the Prosecution never argued for manslaughter. They spent the whole case trying to argue malicious intent.

• Well, I guess the racially motivated, political media is bringing down the Big Top ready to move on to the next town. Next comes the racially motivated, political media's coverage Part 2 (always have to have a sequel to a blockbuster) civil case. NAACP has already been talking about it with the not really black/not really white president. But there's enough racism to get it out front of the media.

And the surprising thing about all this? Been there, done that 40+ years ago. Curfews, fires, shootings, riots, etc. and here we are once again. Those that don't learn from history are destined to repeat it.

Comment

• Trayvon Martin is dead because he chose to confront a neighborhood watch captain who was keeping an eye on him until police arrived to question his suspicious behavior.
                    Martin had 4 minutes to walk 80 yards to get to his father's girlfriend's home.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CDk6SYyZum...erman-path.jpg

He chose to use those 4 minutes (the time between his phone being dropped, connection lost, and the time the shot was recorded on the 911 tape) to ambush the person following him.
                    A timid child in an unfamiliar neighborhood in the dark would choose to go home.
                    If confronted, a normal teenager would politely explain who he was and where he was going.
                    A belligerent teenager seeking to boost his 'street cred' (who had bragged about winning a fight the week before) would instigate a fight against a 4 inch shorter unsuspecting victim.

George Zimmerman didn't get away with anything.
                    His life is ruined. He will always be hunted by Black activists.
                    The two years it's taken to get to a just verdict have been hell on Zimmerman.
                    All because Zimmerman didn't want to die.

Anybody else on the board ever stitch up a scalp would? The scalp is tough. It's hard to push a needle through the human scalp. Trayvon was pounding George's head on the concrete to produce those wounds. When the police that George had called didn't arrive in time, and the neighbors who heard him yelling chose not to help, George chose to use his gun to keep himself alive.

Under the same circumstances, every one of us would have acted the same.

Comment

• SR540Beaver
                      SR540Beaver commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Trayvon chose to take an action too and it cost him his life. Just like Zimmerman should have stayed in the car, Trayvon should have walked into the house. Neither person's life would have changed.

• packsaddle
                      packsaddle commented
                      Editing a comment
                      OK, I get that you think Trayvon rightly paid for his mistake with his life. So why is it again, that you think Zimmerman should get off scot free for his mistake?

• Twocubdad
                      Twocubdad commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Because a jury of his peers found that the case against him did not prove his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt?

Both made mistakes and had opportunities to avoid confrontation. The results were tragic. People make tragic mistakes all the time. Sometimes the mistakes and the outcomes are grossly disproportionate. It doesn't necessarily mean criminal convictions follow.
                      Last edited by Twocubdad; 07-16-2013, 08:59 AM.

• I typically stay away from the non-scouting topics, but for whatever reasons I feel a need to post in this issue. It is always a tragedy when a young person losses their life, I pray for both families.

From what I have seen so far the state simply did not prove their case, and all the defense had to do was introduce a bit of reasonable doubt. Remember Zimmerman was not found to be innocent, he was found not guilty of the case the state presented. The states star witness turned out to be a better witness for the defense. I doubt that anyone other than Zimmerman and the Lord actually knows what happened. I simply do not understand either side that are 100% convinced that they are correct, the evidence that I have seen simply did not prove guilt or innocence, thus the not guilty verdict. Innocent until proven guilty, and guilt was not proven.

I know as a carry permit holder that is some one was on top of me hitting me "pound and ground" style and I could not get them off of me I would not pulling the trigger. Zimmerman was not legally bound to obey the dispatcher to not follow Martin. If he had we would have never heard of Zimmerman or Martin.

Comment

• I would expect a response like that from joebob. again racial lines.

My scout son has been brought home twice by the police, both times for sitting on the wall during day light hours outside the quickie mart drinking a slushie once when he was ten and again a thirteen......Keep in mind I live 6 doors from it and can see him from my front door......The store owner knows him and both times has come down and intervened with LE.......The LEO roust the neighbor kids when they are bored....a week ago they issued citations to every kid with out a bicycle helmet......

Zimmerman will lose the civil trial......Yes his life is over.....

We have a block watch....I walk the neighborhood every evening for exercise, Never have I thought about going on patrol in my car or armed for that matter.

Bottom line for me had he not exited the vehicle Trayvon would still be alive.

I don't think so Joebob, i would have listened to the dispatcher and not exited my vehicle and waited on LEO to arrive....Of course in the hood and every dirt bag has a family and friends that will extract vengeance. One of the reasons no one speaks up....

Oh trayvon was no angel.

Comment

• JoeBob
                        JoeBob commented
                        Editing a comment
                        "I would expect a response like that from joebob. again racial lines."

Racial lines? You must work for the media if you read anything racial into what I wrote...

• Basementdweller
                        Basementdweller commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You didn't say anything racist...

But white folks all think that Zimmerman should have walked

Black folk think he should have been convicted.

• Brewmeister
                        Brewmeister commented
                        Editing a comment
                        BD, you are such an idiot.

• I agree with Basementdweller, I don't think only white people were for one side and black people for another.. Nor was it totally a black/white issue.. SOME of it was a black/white issue.. SOME of it though breaks on people who support stricter gun controls and those who do not, and SOME broke on other issues such as if you could see your son in similar danger based on his age, your neighborhood, your neighbors.. Anyway there were different reasons that people took different sides and it was not a straight black/white split. So yes Joe Bob your seeing only black & white was very narrow minded and racist..

I also agree that listening to the trial, I sort of guessed this outcome.. There was enough reasonable doubt.. I knew murder was out the door, they did not have enough proof for that and a lot of doubt was introduced.. Manslaughter was better, but still a little weak.. That the jury asked for some clarification on manslaughter it showed that is what they debated also.. I also agree with Basement that like OJ Simpson, Zimmermon will loose a civil trial.. But, I don't know about his life being over.. He has a lot of people against him, but he also has a lot of people supporting him.. He can forget a career in law enforcement, that's for sure.. But, someone will offer him a job and in certain circles he will be treated as a hero.. Will someone shoot him?? Perhaps, that could be how his life might be over.. Still, I would say if he can survive 5 to 10 years, his survival rate will go up as emotion runs hot for a while, then just dies to a simmering stew.

Comment

• JoeBob
                        JoeBob commented
                        Editing a comment
                        "So yes Joe Bob your seeing only black & white was very narrow minded and racist.."

Excuse me, All. I've been called a racist, so I must be guilty of being a racist. And being a foul racist, I'm not allowed to have a valid opinion.

I apologize for imposing my RACIST self on your most thoughtful and truth-seeking forum.

• rdclements
                        rdclements commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Zimmerman chose to exit his vehicle and confront Martin. Zimmerman knew only what he told the dispatcher on the phone, that the person he was following was dark skinned, wearing a hoodie, walking slowly - Zimmerman decided in his mind that these characteristics were suspicious. He decided that Martin was a bad guy and appointed himself to do something about the bad guy. He chose to make the confrontation and is therefore responsible for the outcome. Maybe the prosecution blew the case, I don't know. I do know that is Zimmerman had stayed in the car, Martin would not have been killed.
                        Martin is dead. It didn't have to happen.

• Twocubdad
                        Twocubdad commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No, RD, there is no evidence he "chose to exit his vehicle and confront Martin." Read the transcripts. http://www.documentcloud.org/documen...zimmerman.html (I believe this is from Mother Jones, so assume what you will). Zimmerman followed Martin as part of an ongoing conversation in which the dispatcher kept asking for Martin's location. In hindsight, getting out of the car and following a Martin to see was a bad idea, but in the moment, with the dispatcher asking "which way is he running?" it isn't a totally unreasonable to try and see which way he's running.

And contrary to the media spin, "the police" didn't tell Zimmerman not to follow or to stop following Martin. All the dispatcher said was "Okay, we don't need you to do that." Hardly a command. And he never followed up. Never asked, are you still following the guy? Never said, sir you really should go back to your car and wait for officers.
                    Working...
                    X