Question regarding Boy Scout Requirements Book & the MB Books

My son will be crossing over to Boy Scouts this Sunday, March 20th, at the B&G. I bought him the BS Requirements Book for 2005. Now, this might be a stupid question but is this book good for several years or do they change the requirements every year & I need to buy a new book every year?

Regarding the individual MB Books, is it necessary to buy him every book for every MB my son wants to work on or is the BS Handbook & the Requirement book enough for him to use & complete the requirements for whatever MB he's going to work on? Thanks!

Judy

P.S. He will be receiving his BS Handbook from the SM at his 1st troop meeting 2 days after his B&G

If you can return the book it might be a good idea. Requirements change all the time so it is out dated by the time you get it home. the requirements are on line at http://meritbadge.com . This is not an offical BSA site, but it is kept up to date in most cases and it is free.

For each badge he will need to buy the book forthat badge. It has info in it to help him with the badge. (he could also borrow one from a friend or older scout).

The Requirements book is updated and issued every year. The inside cover lists all changes including merit badges. Most merit badges change infrequently, but every year there are a few.

Your son will need access to a MB book to be able to learn the subject matter and complete the requirements. His troop may have a library of books that may be borrowed.

GopherJudy,

The requirement 2005 book i believe just hit the rack so it sohould be good for a couple of years...DO NOT BUY THE MB books unless you really like giving someone your hard earned money...at least until you check your troop for a LIBRARY and know what merit badge your boy is ready to tackle. Many troops have a rolling library (one that is carried home by the librarian each week. Luckier units have a library shelf at their meeting place. Check first, then when your Scout says MOM, I ASKED Mr._____ for a blue card for "nuclear nose thwanging" and now I need the book...get on line to 'meritbadge.com'. Not only to get a good listing of what your boy needs to do- but also to get the dates of the most recent publications...In the area around my 'neck of the woods' several RETAIL outlets sell basic scouting supplies. Many have many of the MB books...BUT when a requirement change comes down the 'chute', in several instances they have not put out the new books until the old ones are sold out! So make sure you know which publication date you want...don't rely on a sales clerk!

My son wants to keep all the MB booklets for MBs he's earned as souvenirs--if the cost is not a problem for you, your son may want to do this too.

I agree that you don't need the requirements book.

Someone from your son's troop should have the 2005 requirements book (Advancement Chair comes to mind). The rank and MB requirements may change every year and it is best that someone keep on top of it.

If you son wants to earn a MB - tell the Scoutmaster who would then give your son contact information for a MB councilor(s). Your son would then call the counselor and let the counselor decide if it would be a good idea for your son to obtain the BSA MB pamphlet. My guess is that it would be a good idea. Not only troops, but your local library may be a good source too for the MB "books." Getting the requirements is easy and may be obtained on-line. Getting all the necessary information is a slightly more difficult task and the MB counselor should guide you on that task.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I'll keep the Requirements book, it was only $3.95. I've added the MB site to my favorites & when my son's ready, he can ask his SM about the Troop Library! In fact if I remember I'll ask him if they have one & what they have. Thanks again!

Judy

As a Scouter (and 52!) I'm a little old to be earning Merit Badges, but I do have my personal copies for the ones I counsel-and the ones for things that interest me.

Good source for info, and at $4.50 cheap!

Isn't Librarian a Posistion of Repsonisbily and don't most troops have a MB Book Library?

You may also find the web site - http://www.usscouts.org/usscouts/mb/framesindex.html - to be useful for determining revision dates, etc. for merit badges. I haven't read each site extensively enough, but both seem to carry good info about the merit badge program, with its frequently changing requirements.

I've (previously, ~ 1 week ago) posed the question to my Council's Adv Chair, as to if there is a BSA national-sanctioned web site which outlines what their most current versions of each merit badge pamphlet are, with the hope of having to avoid travel to either the Council HQ or a local Scouting supplies retailer to review the merit badge pamphlets to see which are the most current. [i recently ran into this, as a merit badge counselor, and found I was using an outdated merit badge pamphlet.] No answer yet.

Does anyone know if "outdated" MB books should be trashed? I have been told that they can still be used, and that if a scout starts a MB with an older book, than he can finnish with the original requirements.

I have not found anything in writing to back this up. So, I was just wondering if this was an actual rule or maybe up to the MB counselors discretion.

Either way, it would seem like a good idea for troops to maintain their library of MB books. (older or not) It is much easier to just pick up an updated requirements book every year or two. I am still using my '03 version. I have just inserted the '04-'05 updates that I found on the web.

CE

Caveman - You wrote "I have been told that they can still be used, and that if a scout starts a MB with an older book, than he can finnish with the original requirements. "

The accurate way of saying it is that "if a scout starts a MB before the new requirements go into effect, he can finish with the requirements he started with". The point being that it does not matter what book he uses, but what requirements are in effect on that date.

As for old books, it depends. Sometimes the updated requirements are so minor, the book has very little change. Therefore, we keep some of them in our troop library, but get rid of the ones that are drastically out of date.

"... if there is a BSA national-sanctioned web site which outlines what their most current versions of each merit badge pamphlet are ...".

The only BSA sanctioned web site is their own. I'm not aware that current MB requirements are listed. Many unofficial sites have good information, but take it with a grain of salt. Some are out of date and it's hard to know what info on what sites is current and accurate.

I have found that the best way to find out about MB revisions is to go to the Scout Shop in January when the new Requirements book is released and look at the inside front cover for the badges that have updated requirements. The changes are detailed in the book. Usually MB's are significantly revised so it's best to buy a new MB book.