Idea for Merit Badge Change

I read with interest a number of threads about merit badges and advancement, including complaints that some badges were too easy, etc. Here's my idea: Create a subgroup of merit badges called "Scoutcraft." For Star, one of the non-Eagle-required merit badges would have to come from this group, and the same for Life. For Eagle, at least four of the non-Eagle required merit badges would have to come from this group. Here are my suggestions for the "Scoutcraft" list:

Backpacking

Bugling

Canoeing

Climbing

Cooking

Emergency Preparedness*

Hiking*

Lifesaving*

Orienteering

Pioneering

Swimming*

Whitewater

Wilderness Survival

(*if not used for Eagle requirement)

Why do this? It seems to me that the non-Eagle badges already fall into two main groups--those that allow Scouts to pursue some new interest (i.e., Dentistry) and those that develop skills that can be used in Scouting (the list above). I recognize that this would impose an additional restriction on badge choice, but I think it would encourage scouts to pursue more outdoor activities and activities with the troop. What do you think?

Hmm, Interesting idea Hunt.

But, I'm inclined not to go for it. I would prefer scouts do outdoor activities because they actually like to do them, earning MB's as a consequence of doing some of the things they like to do. The approach outlined, seems to make advancement the primary motivator to do outdoor activities.

SA

Merit Badges are already organized into different groupings. In the 60's and 70's, the Eagle requirements were such that you had to have a certain number of MBs from different groups. I don't have the list in front of me and I don't know when that was changed back to the current system of 12 Eagle Required and any 9 others.

There must have been a good reason to change it back to the current system and not require one from column A and one from column B and so on.

In the nineties they changed the number of required from eleven to twelve, by adding Family Life to the required lists. It was a brand new merit badge at the time.

The required merit badge list reminds me of the federal income tax code. Tax breaks are given for actions that are decided to be good for the country (home mortgage, capital gains, childcare, medical expenses, fuel efficient cars, etc.) and various groups work to get their pet ones on or to keep it on the list. The required list for Eagle is the same way every one has a list of what an Eagle should earn. They moan and groan as the list changes. I imagine there are people who are upset that Bird Study is not required.

I think I agree with scoutingagain, it is an interesting idea but I do not think it is necessary. For one thing, Camping and First Aid are already required, certainly Camping would be in the "Scoutcraft" category and I think First Aid would fall in there too. (At least as much as Bugling. :) )

In other words, the most BASIC Scoutcraft badges are on the Eagle-required list. Except for one, Cooking, and one can debate whether that should be back on the list or not. Having looked at the cooking requirements my son has to pass for First Class, I would say that they are making the boys learn almost as much about cooking as I did for the Cooking Merit Badge, back when it was required. The difference is that they are making the boys do so for one of the "basic" ranks, meaning they have to know cooking for Eagle, they just don't have to get that merit badge.

NW says:

I imagine there are people who are upset that Bird Study is not required.

Well, it was, though just a bit before my time. (It was added in 1915 and removed in 1952.)

See http://www.usscouts.org/usscouts/eagle/EagleHistory.html

Well, you did it... you caused me to find my Boy Scout Handbook again (Seventh Edition (1965), 2d printing).

Merit Badge Requirements:

Camping ... still a requirement

Cooking

Citizenship in the Community ... still a requirement

Citizenship in the Nation ... still a requirement

Nature

Conservation of Natural Resources (which replaced Soil and Water Conservation)

Personal Fitness ... still a requirement

First Aid ... still a requirement

Swimming ... still a requirement

Lifesaving ... still a requirement

Safety

11 required, 10 Scouts' choice.

Note some of the differences. Scouts didn't have the option of Lifesaving OR Emergency Prepardenss. Lifesaving, period.

Scouts didn't have the option of Swimming OR Cycling OR Hiking. Swimming, period.

BTW, the current curriculum requires:

Communications

Family Life

Personal Management

Citizenship in the World

One of the things I like about the current program is it deliberately ramps the Scout towards attaining the Eagle Required badges. In 1969 or so, I had to have 1 to get to Star, and 5 to get to Life. I was facing a major chunk of work to get over the top.

Today, OTOH, a Scout needs 4 Eagle required MB to get his Star, and another 3 to get to Life. Most of the time now, a young man is looking at the target of Eagle when he earns his Life, at least as far as his MB work is concerned.

Do I have a personal desire? Heck, yes. I'm a divorce`. I'd love to see Cooking come back onto the required list. Seems to me it's an essential life skill. Will it happen? Probably not. That's ok too.

John(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Thanks, John-in-KC, for remembering. Makes me want to dust off my old handbook.

I like the current program's approach regarding Eagle Required's (four for Star, three for Life). When he's First Class, he's left a rather rigid approach to requirements (not much picking and choosing), so four Required's are not a problem-- in fact, he's grateful to be able to choose, even though from a short list. Life then seems less painful, even though more total MBs are required, because less Eagle-Requireds are needed. Eagle is not diminished, because five Eagle-Requireds are needed (the ones they put off-- the ones they like the least, perhaps). Mentally, the boy thinks he's over half-way there. I like the alternatives provided (Hiking or Swimming or Cycling etc.), especially since there's a lot more issues with water activities today.

Wasn't there an approach in the earliest days of Scouting, similar to Hunt's suggestion, of picking required merit badges from various categories?(This message has been edited by Compass)