WE CURRENTLY HAVE 12 YEAR OLD BOY SCOUTS THAT ARE FIRST CLASS. AT THIS RATE THEY WILL BE EAGLE BY AGE 14 IS THIS NORMAL ? ARE THERE AGE LIMITS BETWEEN RANKS ? OR ARE IS THERE A SET TIME LINE TO FOLLOW ? WHAT IS B.S.A POLICY IN THIS MATTER ?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything you need to know for the advancement requirements are in the Boy Scout Handbook. A boy need only to do what his handbook requires. No more, no less. The Advancement program is governed by the advancement policies of the BSA and they can be found in The Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manula, available at you local council service center. The first thing that manual will tell you is that No adult, Unit, District or Council may alter the advancement requirements of the boy's Handbook.

The only Boy Scout age requirement is that a boy ceases to advance as of his 18th Birthday. A Scout can achieve the Eagle Rank as whenever he is eligible by meeting the requirements. This can happen as early as 12 although that is not a usual occurence.

Bob White

PS. Please remove your cap-lock. Posting in all upper-case letters is called shouting, and is considered very rude in electronic ettiquette.

And if you follow the First Class First Year program then a 12 yo First Class is not at all unusual.

Also, I've seen boys rush through the beginning ranks then come to a screeching halt with the later ranks. It is a very personal thing based on the Scout's level of interest, goals, what he's doing outside of scouts, etc.

FOG,

Seeing as how my son is 10 1/2 and just beginning 5th grade and Webelos 2's and can't crossover until next February, I'd be interested in knowing how a boy can make 1st class before he is 11?

I guess it is mathematically possible. A Cub Scout can crossove after earning the Arrow of Light, which requires six months after earning the Webelos badge, which requires three months as a Webelos I.

So, a eight year old, who's birthday is June 30, moves up to Webelos I on June 1st. He earns his webelos badge in September (a very active Pack, with summertime den and Pack meetings), and then earns his Arrow of Light in March, bridges over to Boys Scouts in April, two months before his tenth birthday. He then completes FYFC before his eleventh birthday.

Possible.....

Isn't that the scenario of the LDS Scout who is (?) the youngest Eagle that we debated a couple of months ago?

As has been discussed, a scout could go from "scout" to first class in 30 days, the thirty days between physical measurements for tenderfoot being the time restriction, it would be tight, but it "could" be done. From First Class to Star the scout must be in a position of responsibility for 4 months, Star to Life, 6 months and Life to Eagle 6 months.

An Eagle could be earned in 17 months. If the boy is 10 years, six months, then Eagle is possible at 11 years, 11 months (hope the math is right, I hate working in a base 12 system, or a base 10 for that matter)

(Note, the above describes a possibility, it does not imply good, bad, whatever, only the possibility)(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Webelos is an ideally 18 month program, with the goal of bridging at the end of the sixth month of the second year (March if your Pack year starts in September, aligned with school year). Cub Scout rank is primarily grade driven, with age secondary.

If a Webelos Scout is a "super-achiever", he could advance quicker.

And as OGE states, just reporting on the mathematical/chronological possiblity. Not passing judgement on appropriateness in terms of Scouting's goals and mission.

My oldest son's birthday is in August. He crossed over from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts in February a few years ago after earning his AOL at age 10. After attending every troop meeting and camp outing (one every month) he earned his 1st Class rank in December in a little over nine months (not that hard really if the opportunities for advancement/requirements are presented by the troop). After a year of Boys Scouts he became a den chief (after taking training) and served as a den chief for one year earning his den chief service award the following February. Also during that time he was elected as PL, and a OA candidate and later served as ASPL. During that time he earned his Star and Life rank and his OA membership. The Life rank was earned one year after earning 1st Class in December, four months after his 11th birthday. This past April he was elected SPL and just recently completed his third summer camp and his first JLTC training.

Now, I signed off maybe a total of three or four of his requirements in total. I was not involved with the troop much at all until he was well into his "Star" period. IMO, neither I nor his mother "pushed" him to advance. He is now 12 yrs old and has held his Life rank for over 7 months. So in short, a 12 year old 1st Class Scout is nothing to be concerned about.

My son will be 13 next month. He too, crossed over from his Cub pack at 10 with his AOL. As is the case with many of you who are Scouters, my involvement and commitment was infectuous, he was very involved with his Troop, and is now three requirements shy of Life (Scout Spirit, SM Conference, BOR). Our last SM offered to do the SM conference before we moved, which would have left just the BOR, but I declined. First, I didn't want to show up at a new Troop and have him hand his new SM who didn't know him, his handbook and ask to be scheduled for the next BOR. Second, and just as important, he's only 12 -- he's got plenty of time and I see no good reason to rush things.

KS

In Cub Scouts, the boys move up in rank evety year (whether they have completed requirements or not).

In Boy Scouts, the boy (ideally) determines pace and level. He can go as fast and as far as he is able, with comparatively few time restictions, as OGE and others have pointed out.

I know more than few boys who were barely 10 when they crossed over. November and December birtdays made them nearly a year younger than many of their classmates. With pushy parents, a boy can easily make 1st Class before November rolls around again.

Well, with pushy parents or with a well motivated inner directed scout,making first class in a year isnt supposed to be hard. Especially if the scout is in a really "happenin" troop, one that follows that there First Class First Year Program.

Ah, the active, boy led program, if you build it they will come, and advance to boot!

With pushy parents? It is the norm to cross-over in February in our council. That leaves an outing in Feb, Mar, Apr, May, summer camp, July, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov and Dec. to tie a few knots, practice basic first aid, swim at camp, help out at outings, and basicly "go along for the ride" to become a first class scout within one year. In my book, only a disinterested boy who doesn't read his book aligned with a troop that sits on their derrieres would NOT make 1st class within one year.

As stated earlier, the only time requirement is embedded in the Tenderfoot requirements.