Eagle Scout / age requirement

Does a Scoutmaster have the option to restrict a scout from becoming Eagle if he has all the badges needed? Our SM told the boys they have to spend more time in the troop before he will approve them for eagle. Can he do this? and If not, what can be done to get around this.

Welcome to the campfire.

The simple answer is no. If a Scout has completed all the requirements for Eagle then there is no reason for anyone to prevent him from completing it.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Yes he can. Notice I did not say it was correct. The more I learn about this scouting thing, the more I see that most leaders do not follow the BSA way.

Now before you all jump on me, I am talking about the troops and packs that I see in person.

Dan,

if he is he is wrong. The only age requirement other than the minimum age to join Boy Scouts is all the requirements must be completed and all the paperwork must be turned into the council office by midnight the day before the Scout's 18th birthday. Other than that a leader who will not let a Scout earn his Eagle even though the Scout has completed ALL the requirements for the ranks is in direct violation of BSA policy.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Now that we have the issue of can the scoutmaster prevent the boy from getting Eagle after all the requirements have been met (excepting the Scoutmaster Conference, unless that was held and this is when the boy was told he wouldnt be approved for Eagle)settled, I beleive the initial post also asked for what could be done. I would encourage the boy to:

1. Contact the Scoutmaster, make an appointment and discuss why the scoutmaster does not want to approve the boy for Eagle. The scout should take notes of what was said. Failing approval the next step is:

2. Contact the Troop Advancement Chair, discuss the situation and determine of the Advancement Chair will be able to help. Again, notes should be taken of the conversation. Failing resolution the next step is

3. Contact the Troop Commitee Chair, again, discuss the situation and the results of the previous three meetings. (Making notes of course) Failing resolution the next step is

4. Contact the District Advancement Chair and present the issue, if not resolved

5. Appeal to the Council Advancement Committee.

Actually, I dont think you will have to get the issue out of the troop, or definitely it will stop (I hope) at the District level.

On the other hand, its nice to see the spirit of Demogogery still burns bright

PS. Note I said I would encourage the BOY, not parent/guardian unless absolutely necessary to do the contacting and discussing.

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

I don't think this would be an issue IF the leaders and the scout work together on this process. As Advancement Coordinator for our troop I try to talk to each Scout about the Eagle process. I encourage all our Scouts to keep the committee informed as to their progress, project plans, etc. That way the support and encouragement will be there. If I don't hear from them I contact them. I think the SM should be doing the same thing. It definitely reduces the problems and misunderstandings later in the timetable.

Everyone here is, of course, correct. I would offer one word of caution.

Before anyone assumes that the Scoutmaster is denying a boy the chance to earn Eagle Scout at whatever he says as too young, please make sure that age is really the root cause of the reservation. In our Troop, and apparently in many others, it is at the Scoutmaster conference that the SM asesses the Scout's leadership effort and is effort to live up to the Scout Oath and Law. Particularly with the leadership issue, what the SM says is a lack of satisfactory completion of leadership could be construed, especially by a young Scout, as meaning the SM thinks he's too young to be an Eagle Scout. Someone really aught to get clarification from the SM before jumping to conclusions.

My opinion about young (13 and under) Eagle Scouts has already been posted and disected. I just don't believe there are very many boys who are mature enough at 12 and 13 to have completed the requirements for Eagle satisfactorily. And when I say not many, I am saying like 2 - 4 across the country in a year. But if they have, nothing should stop him from receiving his award, not even my opinion.

Mark

Could this be case of boys doing everything to meet MB/service requirements and not enough on the "provide leadership" part. Granted this should not be the case, but I have seen a couple of cases this year in the district where the brakes where applied. Why? not for a SM ego, but for the scout to demonstrate leadership in his position. Each case was different, but the theme was kinda the same. Against the rules, probably, against better judgement, depends on the merits of the case. I would suggest following Ole Grey Eagle recommendation and find out why.

moonstonerI, First welcome to the campfire.

I would need more detailed info on the situation.

If the Scout has all required MB's, I then would speculate that he has not completed his position for Leadership or even his project.

Has the Scout completed those because it is not stated on your original post?

The other is Scout Spirit. Is he, A Scout All Around the Community and not just at Scout meetings or events?

For now I would say Yes, if the Scout has not met all the Requirements.

Matua

Just to point out something that hasn't been pointed out (that I've seen.)

Let me preface by saying that I earned my Eagle shortly before my 14th birthday, making me a 13 year old Eagle Scout.

That's almost an aside, because it's irrelevant (almost) to the example I'm about to use.

I've seen and heard of Scouts who transferred to another troop just before they went for Eagle. In a few cases, it was because one of the parents got a new job and they had to relocate, and in some cases it was because the family realized that the current troop's leadership was not going to approve their son's eagle application.

Either way, another requirement in addition to Scout Spirit comes into play. It's the one that reads in part, (I don't have a handbook in front of me, so pardon me if I mis-quote slightly) "Serve actively for at least 6 months in a leadership position in your troop." It may have been revised to say "show leadership" or some other variation, but I bet it's still open to interpretation. I think it's worth taking a look at . . . but not based on age or a mathematical equation. There are 13 year olds who haven't shown leadership (or negative leadership) and there are 18 year olds who haven't shown leadership. Heck, there are 50 year olds who haven't shown leadership.

Take it case by case. That's my advice. Of course, free advice is worth every penny you pay for it. :)

DS

• 2 months later...

SM's try to add all kinds of extra stuff sometimes, e.g., a requirement to serve as SPL before making Eagle. Refer it to the Troop Committee. If they don't do the right thing, then kick it up to District...or higher.

As for young Eagles, there are, as someone else said, only a tiny few who can do it at 13. I have yet to see ANY Scout who could legitimately earn the rank at 12. 14 is the youngest in general, and some who could do it at 13 wind up being 14 due to the inevitable things that happen to slow things down.

Has all the "badges" needed? Do you mean he has earned the proper amount and type of merit badges and has earned a Life rank?

Of course, there is much more to earning the Eagle rank that MB's and earning a Life badge. Does the SM have authority over those other things? Yes. So technically, he can prevent a boy from earning the Eagle rank (in the troop that he is SM) at any age (but he may not).

For those who don't believe some boys are mature enough at a young age to earn Eagle, please enlighten me about the "maturity" requirement. I'm not aware of any.(This message has been edited by acco40)

There is no "maturity" requirement, but a significant part of leadership is maturity. There is no "maturity" requirement for Totin' Chip, either, but maturity is a part of safe handling of woods tools. Immature behavior while using woods tools can result in injury or death. This is why a candidate's maturity is important for the Eagle rank.

I will grant you that maturity allows you to adequately perform the requirements of advancement as you approach Eagle Scout. But I am unaware of a device to measure maturity. Instead we measure the outward behavior that results from maturity.

Scout Spirit, the ability to live the Oath and Law in your everyday life is a measurable result of maturity. The ability to actively serve in a leadership role develops and displays maturity. The ability to plan your own advancement trail, choose your own merit badges and contact your mb counselors is a measurable result of maturing. To choose, plan and lead a service project is a measurable sign of maturity.

Maturity is not a requirement. It is a deleoping trait that allows the scout to complete the requirement. As leaders you have a responsibility to objectively evaluate the scouts performance in these areas according to the stated requirements and not by our subjective view of "maturity".

Bob White