Hail, Hail, The Gangs are all where?

Back in paleologic times, (which I barely remember. Ask my Scoutson), Patrols were the "gang". We would hang out together after school, get together at someone's house for a soda and PB&J, and just naturally do Scout stuff. Try our hand at building a fire in Don's back yard. Set up Terry's new tent. Check the leaves against the tree ID book. Talk to the dad about his time in the service. Play billiards down in the basement. Ask the mom about fry pan use. Maybe even do homework and kvetch about old lady Keller's attitude at school.

What I'm trying to point out is that the Patrol was not merely a table to sit at during the Scoutmaster's lectures,which , come to think about it, we didn't hear very often, but which often seem to be a norm of some Troops I've come across recently.

The "gang" mentality, I think, comes naturally to boys. It did with me. I think it is important for Scoutleaders, Akelas in Cubs, to remember that.

The idea that boys (girls too!) want to belong to something other than family (or perhaps as an alternative? Or as a means to prove seperateness from family? Or to fill a family type need?)is not new. It is one of the things that drives MS13, and the Young Angels, and other JD (to use a term from my youth) groups.

It is often overlooked that Scouting can and should serve as a "good" gang, it is something for the boy (girl?) to belong to and take pride in that belonging. If it becomes another 'listen to the boss/parent' thing, how is it the boy's? It is only another version of what they thought they left behind.

The Patrol needs to be the boy's gang, not the adults creation. Oh, sure, the adult "puts" the boy in the Patrol, but what then?

I sat in on a PLC/GBP meeting once, and heard the nascent SPL say "you mean I can decide THAT?" and the SM had to remind him , yeah, the Troop will do what you boys want to do, not me.

It is often the rule that the boys WANT the SM and other adults to make the decisions and plans, it's what they are used to.

They often will wait for the OK to come, even before the activity/trip is proposed, they are so used to being vetoed/controled at home and in school.

This is why, to the adults' view, NewScout Patrols are a good thing. The adult is still controlling how/what/when the Scout learns and does and advances. In the more traditiional Patrol, a new Scout is simply added to the gang, and the other Scouts (PL?) help take care of the incidentals of camping skills, what boots are good, what to pack and how, do you put the PB on one slice and the J on the other and smoosh'em together or smear the PB and then the J on the same side? Important things like that. If the PL needs help, he has the TG and maybe a ASM or (old school!) a Patrol Dad to look to for advice, but first is the old fellows in his Patrol. New Troop? No old fellas? Well, we adjust but then step back when you have a few old Scouts (6 months!) in hand.

One ASM teaches Totin'Chip and shows off his axe and knife and saw collection. Scout PLs are suitably impressed. How to chop wood efficiently and safely. How to hold and pass the tool. All the PLC then goes back and shows the Scouts in their Patrol. Each Scout makes his tent peg, shows it to the ASM, talks alittle, presto, Totin' Chips!

It's a gang with a purpose, to coin a phrase. Yeah, I like that. A Scout Patrol is a Gang with a Purpose.

(LOL) I had to chuckle at the "Gang" reference. I thought I was one of the few that used that term for Scouting. When I was a youth in my teen (mid 70's) I was in Law Enforcement Explorer Scouting. People at my high school would ask if I wanted to join a gang (get jumped in) and I would tell them I allready belong to a gang, L.A.P.D. and they would leave me alone.

What you describe is the "Rockwell picture" for what Scouting says it is vice what the people see.

My $0.02

YiS,

Rick

As a kid, a long time back!

Growing up near the center of London. While we never really identified ourselves as gangs the kids from the street I lived on and maybe a few kids from near by street did hang out together.

The local park, the play grounds, soccer fields and pavilions were our kingdom.

Outsiders were not welcome.

This was at a time when in London many if not most of the kids parents didn't have cars. Our family was the second or third family on our street to own a car.

At weekends and during school holidays, we kids couldn't wait to finish breakfast and meet our pals over at the park. I think if the truth be told our parents were happy to get us out of the house.

There wasn't that much for a young Lad to do around the house.

Our "Garden" was smaller than my living-room is. No video games, no computers. Kids bedrooms had a bed, some toys and books. The houses were small no family rooms or dens. So staying in wasn't a lot of fun.

Most of the kids attended the same school and back then school sports in England weren't after school activities.

In the area where I lived the choice for boys was either Scouts or the local boxing club.

Even in the 1970's. The Scouts in the Troop came from the local flats (Projects.) Their homes were small and many of the parents weren't that well off. So the kids who lived there were always out and about.

Sometime around the 1970's drugs and street drugs became a problem. The older teenagers got into drugs both using and dealing. Rival gangs started to fight for territories they seen as theirs. Lose of an area meant a loss of income.

While many teenagers joined these gangs, some kids and their parents seen Scouting as a safe place and a healthy environment for their kids to hang out.

Along with the weekly Troop meeting the Troop I was leader of had a games night and we rented the local public swimming pool one night a week, add camps and outings Scouts and Scouting filled a lot if not most of the free time that the Scouts had.

The Troop served mainly the local boys who were able to walk to and from the meetings even at this time many parents didn't have cars and even those that did didn't have the mind set of chauffeuring their kids to and from activities that their kids were in.

The parents loved and cared for their children, but it seems to me that there wasn't a need for them to be there every step of the way for their kids.

This gave the kids a lot of freedom to explore things and experiences on their own.

Some kids made poor choices.

Talking with drug dealers in jail especially those from the bigger cities like Philadelphia who were raised in the projects. Staying home or around the house isn't or wasn't really an option. So they got out of the house and joined gangs that were into doing bad and illegal activities.

Many of these gangs are very well organized and have all sorts of rules and traditions.

For a lot of the young teenagers and boys who join they get to feel that they belong to something and are really someone when they become a member.

If we were able to find a way of grabbing these Lads? I don't think that we'd save the world or street gangs and drug traffickings would go away.

Still if we were able to keep just a few out of jail, or one from being killed on the street. I think it would be worth the effort.

Eamonn.

Excellent thoughts, all.

The best patrols are gang-like, in a good way.

However, it takes time and a certain amount of independence to grow to that stage.

Depending on parents and scout leaders, the scouts may or may not have the freedom to do so.

Patrol bonds will not form properly with mummy and daddy sweeping their sons' path at every turn, nor with over bearing adult leaders who want the troop to conform 100 percent to their (the leaders') image of scouting. These dynamics will snuff out the flame.

Given the right measures of instruction and freedom, within the bounds of safety and common sense, the scouts will amaze everyone (including themselves) with their creativity and maturity.(This message has been edited by desertrat77)