young SPL candidates

>> The scout is elected to ASPL for a 1/2 year term (June COH-Dec COH or vice versa) and then automatically moves up to SPL for the next 6 months.>>

This is an exceedingly interesting approach. At first glance, I really like it.

Every kid matures differently. My scout's troop have had younger and older ASPL/SPLs. They of course all have to have to be 1st Class, butI think everyone had earned higher rank by the time they run for the position. I know for a fact that the last 3 ASPLs (my scout and the ASPLs both right before and after him) were all Life Scouts when they were elected. By the time my scout was elected as ASPL, he had been APL, PL, Scribe, and Instructor. Each of those positions taught him valuable skills to make him a successful ASPL =>SPL.

This troop also does the same system for the individual ass't patrol leader positions. The scout is APL for a 6 month period and then he is automatically assigned as PL for the following 2 quarters.

I don't think the present training of the BSA for youth does an adequate job of helping any boy prepare for the SPL position. So far from the discussion all I hear is SPL qualifications based on a popularity vote and/or some experience if any working with patrols. When BSA starts teaching popularity skills charisma and sitting around in an APL position for a few months, maybe we'll see a better job being done in our SPL positions.

Just a thought

Stosh

Well, I'd say around that age is perfect. They aren't to young so they have some experience in scouting, leading, their troop, and scouting activities. As well as not being so old that the "spark" is already gone in scouting for them. I became and SPL, probably to early for me, I was 12, an extra year in scouting before SPL would probably have been nice to help me become better in scouting. I'm still learning a lot of information (I am still the current SPL), more than most of the other scouts in my troop. Being the SPL you get certain benefits the other scouts might not have the opportunity to take, I'd suggest the candidates all go for NYLT, or Junior Leadership Training (JLT), AKA Troop Leadership Training (TLT). I have had the position as SPL for around 3 year now. Being the SPL pushes the scout to try their best, so they can represent their troop as best as they can. That extra push can actually ignite the scouting spirit, and cause them to work harder not only in meetings, but at home and actually pick up the book again go over some skills like knots. It helps giving younger scouts these leadership positions it helps them grow as a better leader. A 3 year term isn't exactly necessary though, nor is being the SPL. Try them out as an ASPL before moving them to SPL. My troop so far has never had an SPL that wasn't an ASPL at some time. We want them to have some experience leading the whole troop, not just a patrol. It gives them a chance to lead the troop in possibly a fund raiser, if the SPL can't make it they get to lead a troop meeting, and activities. It is a lot different actually standing up there, than watching from the side lines and guessing what it is like.

//MichaelOA

Souther Sierra Council(This message has been edited by MichaelOA)