This thread was spun from another thread.In my travels I pop in and see troops holding elections for OA membership. I'm asked all sorts of questions. - Most of which I don't know the answers too. So I refer them to the OA web site or someone who is good at OA type stuff.

I pays me dues and get to attend about half the weekends and events due to work and family commitments. At the weekends I see as many as 80 people taking the ordeal. Many are the same people that I seen get called out on parents night at summer camp with parents taking photos and making movies of the big event. Some are the very people that I wasn't able to help. They are there, they pay for the book, the sash, the dues and the weekend. All in all not a cheap outing. But then I never see them again. While I know that Scouts attend OA weekends not as a troop, but some troops go through the election procedure along with unhelpful answers from me and are never ever seen at another OA function.

This seems more then a little dumb not to mention a waste of money.

What happens to these people who wanted so badly to join? Where do they go?

Do we need to do a better job of explaining what real membership is? Or are we happy with a bunch of flap wearers?

Just asking.

Eamonn

This same item of notice (i.e., Flap Wearing) has been on-going for as long as I can remember. Once upon a time, it was told to a group of concerned individuals that the OA is a boy run organization and that the problems would be dealt with by those in charge.

'Not to worry'

The answer was given in the form of a statement. 'If a person has not paid their dues, then they should not wear the patch.'

In my opinion, and even as an adult, I have the right to an opinion. When I look at the general flow and outcome(s) of the OA, I am saddened by what I see. Now keep in mind that many things have the OA stamp on it but it generally is because of a small number of individuals as compared to the huge number inducted.

The numbers are only part of the problem. It must be compared to the meaning that is shared.

"I will always regard the bonds of brotherhood in this Order as sacred and binding, and will seek to preserve a cheerful spirit even in the midst of irksome tasks, and will endeavor, so far as my power lies, to be unselfish in service and devotion to the welfare of others." (part of the Obligation, 1927)

As we consider such weighty words standing next to the fire, we should consider bringing our choices in life into sharp focus before going forward.

FB

My son resembles this scenario! He was called out last year and went thru his ordeal at summercamp (shhhh.... no parents BIG secret). ;) Anyway, that's the last he heard of OA. Sure we have a troop rep that goes to OA meetings, my son has also worked the OA haunted hike (for the past 2 years), even when he wasn't a member!

I personally thought being a member of OA was a more dignified position. In our lodge, the scouts act more like cub scouts in their own little click. At one campfire shirts were hanging out, and one was wearing a Jack Daniels hat! I'm not impressed.

I think these new members might become more involved if there was a welcome meeting for all new members, and better communication. I realize our lodge might be one that is bringing the good name of the OA down. I hear of many great things other lodges do on these boards, i can only hope something will turn ours around.

Sparkie

We should remember that an arrowman's first and most important obligations are to his troop. I say that if he is remaining an active in his troop, keeping a cheerful spirit, fulfilling his responsibilities, and helping to preserve camping traditions for his unit and camp, then he is an excellent arrowman. He should also pay his lodge dues and try to help out where able, obviously, but his most important responsibilites as an arrowman are not to hang out with a bunch of other sash-wearers every other weekend. To me, that is a bastardization of the meaning and intent of the organization as expressed in the Legend and words of the Founders.

Adrainvs,

The unit is important and Scouts need to take their unit responsibility seriously.

Your frustration is noted.

I take issue with your belittling those who "hang out with other sash wearers every weekend". Since most clans meet once per month and try to stay away from other meeting times, it doesn't qualify for your high estimate of interference.

You may be confusing some older Scouts that get involved in Lodge and Section activities. They meet and plan large events for other Arrowmen. Some plan and carry out camp clean-up weekends or assist with other projects for the local council. Some may decide to get involved in the ceremony teams and memorize some of the best poetry ever. Others may get involved in Indian Dancing and Ceremony and learn to build costumes and other artifacts. These activities are wholesome and build strong character and leadership qualities.

We are gathered here together

In the midst of this great forest

Underneath the stars above us:

Gathered now to help and serve,

Cheerfully in all our actions,

Lovingly in our reflections.

As the smoke curls, winding upward

May our thoughts and actions rising,

Fill us all with acts of goodness

and direct and rule guide us

In our work and thought this evening.

Meteu

The Scout program is large and allows for growth of the individual. I submit that the OA program can be one of the best extensions of the Scout program. It adds depth and dimension to the ideals of Scouting by allowing Scouts opportunities for service done in an enjoyable way. It allows a Scout to remain firm in a Scout unit long after many other Scouts have exited for lack of interest.

So, I take exception of your use of a term that obviously doesn't fit.

FB

I was not refering to those who are active in the Order of the Arrow. I was not even refering to those individuals who neglect their unit and yet remain active in their Lodge. That is unfortunate, but I was referring to an OA program which fails to preserve local camping traditions and support the council camping program. Year-round events are fine, but when the Lodge activities become an alternative to scout camping or even a supposedly integral part of being an arrowman, then the meaning is lost. When being an arrowman means that you skip your local camp to attend the carnival called NOAC, then the program needs to be changed. When being an arrowman means that you are constantly pressured to "get your brotherhood" and are forced to attend impromptu "brotherhood ceremonies" in the back lawn after the monthly meeting so that the Lodge may gain some percentage award.

Serving on cermony teams, giving camp promotions, learning indian lore, making outfitting, and serving as lodge or chapter officers are all good things. In fact, I would recommend them to anyone with the opportunity. My time spent as a ceremonialist, camp promoter, and chapter chief was among the most rewarding in my experience as a youth. I can still recite all the poetry of Meteu from heart. I just want to caution all arrowmen to remember that their primary responsibility as an arrowman is in service to scouting with a particular emphasis on camping and local camping traditions. If they are serving in this manner, they they should not be chastized for their "inactivity."

As I have stated I am not that active in the lodge. However my son is.

At present he is a vice chief, he is off to NOAC.(I have never been so I can't comment as to if it is a carnival or not!!) He will attend Summer camp with his troop and serve on the staff of JLTC.

I really don't think the argument that attending OA weekends holds water in our council as most troops in fact all the troops that I know do not plan activities on a OA weekend.

Still I am not pointing fingers at the people who don't make every OA function. It is the Lads and adults that never attend. I have no way of knowing if they pay the dues or not.

I do wonder if we do a good enough job of explaining what being a member is all about before we hold the election?

I would hope that all members of the OA are members 24/7 at home, at their troop in fact everywhere I am having a little bit of a hard time seeing that you can be a active member and never attend any Lodge function.To my way of thinking this would be like me being a Catholic who lives a good life and never goes to mass. Would I be a good Catholic? I think not.

My 2 Cents.

Eamonn

A couple of things I hav noted as a member of the OA:

It is my understanding that in the past an individual could fail an ordeal, essentially be refused membership into the OA, this no longer occurs, or at least I have never seen or hear of it occureing in recent years. As to being an active member, most lodges have multiple committees that always need youth members, the youth simply have to take the initiative to talk to advisors and members of the LEC