Goals in a "Patrol Method" troop

Rather than hijack or detract from the former discussion, let me add another dimension. What kind of "goals" do leaders set, and how is this done?

Does the PLC discuss and select goals? Does the SPL or PLs do this individually? Does each patrol select goals? If the troop is a productive, successful (boy-led) patrol method unit, what goals are needed? This is not to suggest that they are not needed; I do believe they are. I see the next year as critical to the troop and more especially, providing opportunities for scouts to mature and grow, and prehaps make a real difference in their lives. I would like to work with our (boy) leaders to see that they are able to work in this direction.

As the SM of the troop, I do not set any goals, but I do draw the boys' attention to the guidelines of the BSA program. Within that confine, the boys are free to set their own personal, patrol and troop goals. Each troop, patrol and individual has the BSA directive to establish goals reflective of their skills, talents and personal preferences. It is my "job" as a SM to assist the boys in obtaining those goals and inspire and challenge them to push their envelopes. When they are frustrated, I assist them to work out solutions, when their bored, I suggest new opportuities. What totally amazes my boys is the openness of opportunities this provides. Jokingly they once told me that they wanted to "canoe the Yukon". My only comment was, "Sounds good, when were you expecting to go?" If BSA feels it's ok to travel anywhere in the world for a World Jamboree, surely the Yukon would be a valid goal for the boys.

After the meeting last night my SPL approached me about one of the boys. He said this boy showed some leadership promise (I was in agreement with this)and he wanted to work directly with him. My SPL is 17 and the boy he was referring to was a new scout aged 11. The SPL was "okay" for him to assist this new scout in recruiting a patrol for him out of the Webelos II that was just finishing up and mentoring the young lad for a year until he, himself, aged out.

Now, all the SM's out there that can't get their older boys to work with their younger boys, eat your heart out! :)

Could I as SM ever envisioned this as a goal for the troop? Never in a million years!

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)

This is a very good question and since I dont have the talent of many folks here to be short about and answer, I will throw in just a few comments and go from there. I do like what jblake has written.

As a SM, I personally had a lot of goals. But if you added them up in one bag, It would be that I developed the scouts so that if the adults didnt show up to a meeting or campout, the scouts would behave the same. I was trying to put the adults out of a job.

As for the boys, we taught them to set goals from the day they came in. When they were learning scout skills, we ask them to set a goal for learning the next skill or set of skills. We asked them to set personal goals of completing task and ranks and build a plan to meet that goal. We started with skills because that is small goal and isnt hard for the scout. As they get in the habit of setting small personal goals, bigger goals become easier. I always laugh when a scout has set a goal of getting the Eagle without a plan of reaching that goal. I never really cared about the scouts goals, that is their plan. I only encourage them to set goals.

We also set goals in the PLC. I would sit down with the SPL after he was elected and we would each discuss some things we would like to change or add to the program. From that discussion we would develop a goal or a choice of goals. Sometimes the SPL wanted to discuss the list with his PLC and come up with a goal together. We always have a JLT a couple weeks after election where the PLs are asked to set their goal goal or goals based on the SPLs goals. I sometimes asked the PLs to set goals on each of the eight methods. Simple easy goals, but something that gets the PL to think about improving the Patrol.

OK, that is the quick and easy without me getting to wordy. Great Question.

Barry

Buffalo,

I mainly work with the PLs to develope goals. This can be hard for them, at their age (< 13). I start by asking them what the picture of success would be for their patrol (this is done during TLT). They are getting better, after hearing this once or twice before. We talk about problems the patrols have at Troop meetings and campouts - getting everyone to cooperate, to pull their load, to know how to camp. So, if we know what the problems are, what would the picture of success be? They usually picture their patrol functioning smoothly, everyone doing their jobs, helping each other, getting meals and clean-up done on time.

Next, I ask - how do we get there? Many of the things they talk about in their picture of success are related to advancement. A FC Scout is going to have more skills and knowledge than a TF. So, maybe some of the goals for the patrol need to revolve around advancement. Maybe a goal is to get all the patrol members to FC. This is where I would like for them to end up, as that goal is something that is achievable and quantifiable. Plus, it helps define the job of the PL a little more clearly. The PL will do a better job of making sure the Scouts in his patrol don't miss out on advancement opportunities, like selecting the patrol camp site, or planning and cooking a meal over an open fire. The PL starts to put these things together, and sees if he helps his Scouts advance and learn skills, his job will be easier in the long run.