Restock an old Patrol?

Next year, for the first time in five years, my troop will have Scouts aging out. Three of them have been in the same patrol since 2000 and are the group around which we've built the troop (now three patrols). Their patrol has eight members currently. At this time next year, they'll have five, with another one aging out in 2008 and the rest in 2010.

About the same time these older Scouts age out, we'll be getting new Scouts crossing over. The question is this: do we add new Scouts in with the older Scouts in the established patrol? Or, do we just form a new patrol and eventually let this patrol die out? I've heard that troops do both.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Let the boys decide! Put it to the PLC to figure out. This is a great example of them having to look at the pros and cons and long-term impact of things. We restructured our patrols this year and I (the SM) wanted them to keep the existing patrol names. I thought it would be nice from a legacy perspective to keep the patrol names in tact. But the boys overwhelmingly wanted to choose new patrol names after the restructure.